[NEOPAL]CCDT 2006-2008 Auditions (Dance)

Ccontempdt at aol.com Ccontempdt at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 06:04:21 PDT 2006

--part1_c1.6cb04616.3167bd55_boundary

-------------------------------1144415061

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV> </DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

-------------------------------1144415061--

--part1_c1.6cb04616.3167bd55_boundary

From: Medcalf216 at aol.com
Full-name: Medcalf216
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:56:36 EDT
Subject: CCDT 2006-2008 Auditions (Dance)
To: Medcalf216 at aol.com
CC: Ccontempdt at aol.com

-------------------------------1144414596

"Hot minority-based ensemble that dares to  tackle controversial social
issues."

(Cleveland) Plain  Dealer

"Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theatre have  contributed an important document
to African American dance history."
Dance Magazine

"Thanks to heartfelt choreography, this  troupe is one to watch."
Washington Post

Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theatre will be holding  auditions seeking 2
male (1 company/1 apprentice) and 2 female (1 company/1  apprentice) professional
dancers of all racial and ethnic backgrounds  accomplished in modern, ballet,
jazz and improvisational techniques.  Rehearsals will begin in early July
2006. All artists must be at least 21 years  of age and have solid teaching
experience.

CCDT is a dance company is in residence at the Karamu  House, the nation's
oldest African American cultural institution and presents a  home season of
performances in the Fall, Winter and Spring and tours. The  Company's contemporary
repertoire includes works by artistic  director Michael Medcalf and acclaimed
choreographers such as Dianne  McIntyre, Shapiro and Smith, Kevin Iega Jeff,
David Rousseve, Gary Abbott, Kim  Robards, Germaul Barnes, Peter Kalivas,
Linda Kahn and many others.  CCDT  offers regionally competitive (20 week minimum)
contracts plus incentives.  Relocation assistance is provided.  Artists must
be willing to reside in  Northeast Ohio.

Cleveland Contemporary  Dance Theatre
2006-2008 Company Audition  Schedule

DAYTON, OHIO
Ohio Dance Festival
Friday, May 12, 2006
5:30pm-9:00pm
Dayton Contemporary Dance Company  Studios
126 N. Main Street, Suite 200
Dayton, Ohio 45402

NEW YORK CITY
Sunday, May 21, 2006
City Center Studios
10:30am-1:30pm
130 West 56th Street
Between 6th and 7th Avenues
New York, New York 10019

CLEVELAND, OHIO
June 2006
2355 East 89th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
Date and Time TBD, Call for update

Contact Desmond Davis, Associate Artistic Director to  reserve an audition
date and location at 216.791.9000 or at _info at ccdt.com_ (mailto:info at ccdt.com) .
No audition fee is  required.

For further information on CCDT go to _http://www.ccdt.com/_
(http://www.ccdt.com/)  or google "Cleveland  Contemporary Dance Theatre"

Michael  Medcalf
medcalf216 at aol.com

Executive/Artistic  Director
Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theatre
2355 East 89th  Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44106

216.791.9000
216.791.9001  (fax)  (http://www.ccdt.com/)

http://www.ccdt.com/

CCDT is a professional dance  company in residence at the historic Karamu
House, the nation's oldest African  American cultural institution.

-------------------------------1144414596

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV> <EM><FONT face=3DLatha>"Hot minority-based ensemble that dares to=
=20
tackle controversial social issues."</FONT></EM>=20
<DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DLatha><STRONG>(Cleveland) Plain=20
Dealer</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><EM><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT></EM> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><EM><FONT face=3DLatha>"Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theat=
re have=20
contributed an important document to African American dance history."=20
</FONT></EM></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DLatha><STRONG>Dance Magazine</STRONG></FONT><=
/DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DLatha><EM>"Thanks to heartfelt choreography,=20=
this=20
troupe is one to watch."</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DLatha><STRONG>Washington Post</STRONG></FONT>=
</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><STRONG><FONT=20
face=3DLatha>_______________________________________________________________=
_____</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><EM></EM> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theatre will be holding=
=20
auditions seeking 2 male (1 company/1 apprentice) and 2 female (1 compa=
ny/1=20
apprentice) professional dancers of all racial and ethnic backgrounds=20
accomplished in modern, ballet, jazz and improvisational techniques.=20
Rehearsals will begin in early July 2006. All artists must be at least 21 ye=
ars=20
of age and have solid teaching experience.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>CCDT is a dance company is in residence at the Karam=
u=20
House, the nation's oldest African American cultural institution and present=
s a=20
home season of performances in the Fall, Winter and Spring and tours. The=20
Company's contemporary repertoire includes works by artistic=20
director Michael Medcalf and acclaimed choreographers such as Dianne=20
McIntyre, Shapiro and Smith, Kevin Iega Jeff, David Rousseve, Gary Abbott, K=
im=20
Robards, Germaul Barnes, Peter Kalivas, Linda Kahn and many others.  CC=
DT=20
offers regionally competitive (20 week minimum) contracts plus incentives.=20
Relocation assistance is provided.  Artists must be willing to reside i=
n=20
Northeast Ohio.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT=20
face=3DLatha>_____________________________________________________________</=
FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DLatha>Cleveland Contemporary=20
Dance Theatre </FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DLatha>2006-2008 Company Audition=20
Schedule</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DLatha>DAYTON, OHIO</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>Ohio Dance Festival</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>Friday, May 12, 2006 </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>5:30pm-9:00pm<BR>Dayton Contemporary Dance Company=20
Studios<BR>126 N. Main Street, Suite 200<BR>Dayton, Ohio 45402</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DLatha>NEW YORK CITY</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>Sunday, May 21, 2006</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>City Center Studios</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>10:30am-1:30pm</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>130 West 56th Street </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>Between 6th and 7th Avenues</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>New York, New York 10019</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DLatha>CLEVELAND, OHIO</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>June 2006</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>2355 East 89th Street</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>Cleveland, Ohio 44106</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>Date and Time TBD, Call for update</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT=20
face=3DLatha>_______________________________________________________________=
___</FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>Contact Desmond Davis, Associate Artistic Director&n=
bsp;to=20
reserve an audition date and location at 216.791.9000 or at </FONT><A=20
title=3Dmailto:info at ccdt.com href=3D"mailto:info at ccdt.com"><FONT=20
face=3DLatha>info at ccdt.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DLatha>. No audition f=
ee is=20
required.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha>For further information on CCDT go to </FONT><A=20
title=3Dhttp://www.ccdt.com/ href=3D"http://www.ccdt.com/"><FONT=20
face=3DLatha>http://www.ccdt.com/</FONT></A><FONT face=3DLatha> or google "C=
leveland=20
Contemporary Dance Theatre"</FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DLatha></FONT> </DIV></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"12"=
>Michael=20
Medcalf</FONT><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF"=20
PTSIZE=3D"10"><BR>medcalf216 at aol.com<BR><BR>Executive/Artistic=20
Director<BR>Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theatre<BR>2355 East 89th=20
Street<BR>Cleveland, Ohio 44106<BR> <BR>216.791.9000<BR>216.791.9001=20
(fax)<A href=3D"http://www.ccdt.com/"> </A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERI=
F"=20
PTSIZE=3D"10"></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERI=
F"=20
PTSIZE=3D"10">http://www.ccdt.com/<I><I><BR><BR>CCDT is a professional dance=
=20
company in residence at the historic Karamu House, the nation's oldest Afric=
an=20
American cultural institution.</I></I></FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

-------------------------------1144414596--

From: Mike Wypasek <sunshinecomedy at earthlink.net> (Mike Wypasek)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:11:31 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Subject: [NEOPAL]RE: Fear of possible dissolving of theatre in the U.S

I have been doing stand up comedy here for over 4 years and improvisational=
 acting for more than 2.  I've seen the demise of Second City for reasons t=
hat of course have nothing to do with the quality of the work presented on =
stage but rather a way of thinking that permeates Cleveland and has for yea=
rs on end. =20
We in the Cleveland Comedy community present independent shows weekly in th=
e area.  Every Wednesday there is a show at Bassa Vita Lounge 1572 West 117=
th.  Generally the show features nationally touring club performers who als=
o work at The Improv and Pickwick.  At Bassa every Tuesday night is an open=
 improvisational jam.  At Bassa every Thursday Cabaret Dada performs.  The =
Ground Floor Theatre in Cleveland Heights presents improvisational and sket=
ch shows every Friday, and stand up, featuring nationally touring comedians=
, every Saturday. They present classes as well. Next Friday several local c=
omedians are presenting an "Impeachment" show to demonstrate their dislike =
of the current administration.  This Saturday, and Saturday April 29th, the=
re is a sketch and improvisational show being presented at The Croatian Tav=
ern by The Public Squares, a 3 year old sketch troupe.
Every one of these struggles to draw an audience.  It's a real crime too.  =
We publicize everywhere.  The problem is the general population of Clevelan=
d.  You really have to make an effort to go to any of these things.  Of cou=
rse it's worth it, but Cleveland is a parochial city filled with people who=
 live in the far suburbs and exurbs who won't venture "downtown" or to any =
"inner ring" suburb.  No way, no how.  It's all part of the socio-economic =
makeup of Northeast Ohio.  I can't explain it but it's frustrating.  There =
is no doubt the entire arts community supports one another.  It's not us I'=
m worried about.  The city and general area is losing jobs and people.  The=
 economics are strained.  In addition, the way people "think" around here, =
the general population expects to pay $15.00 to see a Broadway show, a Satu=
rday Night Live sketch, or Chris Rock at a comedy show.  If they don't get =
that, they wonder why and never venture out again.  They'd rather sit in th=
eir nice comfortable 5 bedroom houses in their McMansions in Avon Lake and =
Medina and Solon and etc. and watch DVD's or satellite movies.  That's the =
extent of their interest in arts, unless the nephew, cousin or kid is in th=
e show.
That is the apathy that must be fought against for every show.  Every show.=
  It's no wonder so many young talented people flee this scene when they ca=
n, and flee the city when they can.
Perform here for the love of the art.  Publicize the best you can.  Know th=
at your fellow artists, be they actors, improvisors, musicians or comedians=
, support what you are doing.  Hope and pray that you can get at least some=
 people off their narrow minded parochial way of thinking to support what's=
 going on around you.  Good luck it isn't easy, but it is possible.
Do it for love, not for recognition.
-Mike Wypasek