[NEOPAL]Theatre Dissolve

rmj46 at adelphia.net rmj46 at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 8 14:49:11 PDT 2006

I haven't gone into my mailbox in a couple of weeks and come here to discov=
er that Mike & Ike have created quite a stir.  I think that's great!  It ge=
ts like-minded people to give some serious thought to an issue whether we a=
gree with the original post or not.

I agree that the average Joe and Jane cannot afford a $50. Theatre tickets =
especially if they want to bring along a mate, and/or a child.  But then I'=
m one who thinks $8.50 is far too  much to pay for a movie.  I mean, hell..=
.we can't even get popcorn when the bill exceeds fifteen bucks to start wit=
h. (Yes we can but I hate to admit it)

Because I am a Thespian, I usually try to see the shows my colleagues are i=
n.  That's provided I'm not performing myself.  I made a creed years ago; t=
o work hard enough in Theatre so that a complimentary ticket  (or two) was =
mine just for the asking.   So far, so good.  These days I say that while l=
ooking gingerly over my shoulder.

I agree with the poster that expressed; "it's about education".  Are we edu=
cating actor, writers, stage crew, and audiences?  Yes, that's right, we ha=
ve to train audiences by insuring that youth visit the Theatre at an early =
age.  In order to capture their curiosity and keep it, we must write or une=
arth plays that center around their present lives.  Things have changed ins=
urmountably since the 50's, 60's, even 70's, and 80's...  Today's' children=
 deal with HIV, a world that seems to be headed towards its end with the sw=
iftness, abuses of all sorts and now-a--day issues that keep them from havi=
ng a restful sleep., and an emotionally healthy life. =20

In 1986 I wrote a play called "Boundary Line"  It dealt blatantly with the =
issue of racism.  I took that play to a local regional theatre and was flat=
-out rejected, because they (the ones in charge) decided that the content w=
as a bit too "smack-you-in-the-face" real.  I just saw a series (and am sti=
ll watching) that deals with the exact same issues.  Black & White, it airs=
 on TNT.  My 32 year old son called and said; "Ma I hope you're watching th=
is show, you did this almost 20 years ago".  Was I before my time or was th=
at regional theatre behind the times?  It was well received by audiences al=
l overt the Midwest.  We toured that play with seventeen children from 1986=
 until 1988.  Evn toured to a noted home of the Ku Klux Klan ,and at the en=
d of the production they crossed over the Boundary Line.  I was told by a f=
ew that;  they loved the play, and it almost changed their minds about diff=
erent races  "Almost" being the key word.   I suupose had that play been ac=
cepted by that theatre, it might still be having an impact on lives in the =
Midwest, further reaching even.  I enede the tour because it was finaced ou=
t of pocket and my pockets got holes in them.  That's why I took it to the =
unnamed Theatre in the first place.  I needed support and it was not given.=
  I asked and did not receive.  The play is being updated as we speak.  Whe=
n I submit it this time I hope minds will be opened more than they were 20 =
yeas ago.

In 1989 at another Theatre here, I directed another play I wrote for childr=
en called "Peer Pressure".  The script placed the shoe on the other foot.  =
The girls pressured the boys into sexual promiscuity.  The play sold out ea=
ch night and the parents wanted it to be heldover, which we could not do be=
cause of theatre scheduling.

The Chicago Conservatory for Children Writers presented a collaborative cal=
led; "Sometimes I Wake Up in The Middle of the Night"  that dealt directly =
with suicide (which is an American epidemic), alcoholism, and drug addictio=
n (also epidemic), incest, molestation, rape, murder...every issue a child =
could fathom.  We did that production in 1989 at Karamu House to all sold o=
ut houses, and it was brought back by popular demand for an entire week.

Oh yes,  Theatre can be done where it gets audiences.  It can be done where=
 young audiences relate and identify.  I believe we must be willing to take=
 a chance at something new.  Keep doing the classics, those tried and true =
plays and you'll keep getting the exact same audiences.  Want something fre=
sh, try something fresh.

Theatre everywhere has fallen on bad times.  It's being challenged.  I beli=
eve it has more to do with economics than with a community like ours that w=
as bred, and corn-fed on The Arts.  We have some of the richest cultural ar=
ts programs and institutions in this country.  It's time to bring it up a n=
otch and incorporate some works that challenge the mind, and provoke though=
t.  It seems that many of the leading theatres in this city are afraid to s=
tep-out.  There are exceptions.  Cleveland Public Theatre is one that comes=
 to mind.  They are definately not afarid to take a chance.  Change is inev=
itable and if I may quote my favorite line from The Last Poets. =20

"THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED, WILL NOT TBE TELEVISED, WILL NOT
TELEVISED...IT WILL BE LIVE AND IN LIVING COLOR (on stage baby!)

Peace,
Renee Matthews-Jackson
Poet/Actor/Playwright/Director