[NEOPAL]fear of possible dissolving of theatre in the us

Theresa Benyo aeronauticsnut at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 12:05:46 PDT 2006

I will second with Carol on this.  While the variety
of theatres in Northeast Ohio is wonderful, I think we
may be diluting ourselves; hence the sparse audiences
and numbers of those who audition.

I've seen the trend over the last 13 years of smaller
numbers of people auditioning for shows and smaller
numbers of people watching shows as well as a
'reverse' trend of the numbers of individual theatres
growing in Northeast Ohio.  It's the old 'supply and
demand' of economics.  What we have now I think is
more supply than demand.  Sooner or later something
will have to give.

Theresa Benyo-Marzullo

--- cpribble <cpribble at us.edu> wrote:

---------------------------------

I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio where there was one
theatre, The Youngstown Playhouse. Every actor in town
was involved there, and every show was sold out.

 I've directed enough plays in Cleveland to believe
that there is not a lack of people who still want to
see good theatre, and there is certainly not a lack of
talent in this town. However, I think you would be
shocked if you sat down and actually counted the
number of theatres in Cleveland. We have an unusually
high number of theatres.  A lot of the audiences we
are not getting are not necessarily home watching TV.
Many are attending other shows, or performing in other
shows.

Carol Jaffee Pribble