[NEOPAL]Re: Mike and Ike

EMK2U at aol.com EMK2U at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 09:43:33 PDT 2006

-------------------------------1144601013

In a message dated 4/9/2006 10:18:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Pommy at neo.rr.com writes:
Which leads me to another problem I see with community theater:  It seems
that every play you try out for wants to rehearse Sunday through Thursday every
week (and sometimes Fridays).  I believe that's one of the reasons not as many
people show up to auditions these days.  Many people are not willing (or able)
to give up that much time every week for five, six, or eight weeks. If
everyone does their homework, and doesn't use rehearsal time to learn their lines,
but to polish them, it's possible to do fewer rehearsals and a better quality
show.
Hello Pommy....

I disagree with this one.  You somehow seem to be assuming that professional
actors need more time in rehearsal than amateurs.  Community theater actors
already rehearse, on the whole, less than "professional" actors, whose time is
carefully negotiated through union contract.  Community theater actors, for the
most part rehearse after a regular work day, which does not leave a lot of
free time when one is in a show.  As for the proper amount of rehearsal time, I
would doubt that those who spend full time professional work on these
contracts which dictate the hours that actors are permitted to rehearse have it wrong.
 This would seem to work against the quality issue but be tied to the theater
as fun.  I would venture a guess that those that spend thoughtful prep time
getting all aspects of the show ready for the audience turn out to be the
strongest shows.  I agree that eight weeks of rehearsal is excessive... but for a
musical or a very complex show, it may be warranted.

EMK

-------------------------------1144601013

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 4/9/2006 10:18:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, Pommy at ne=
o.rr.com writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid"><FONT face=3DArial>Which leads me to another problem I see with c=
ommunity theater:  It seems that every play you try out for wants to re=
hearse Sunday through Thursday every week (and sometimes Fridays).  I b=
elieve that's one of the reasons not as many people show up to auditions the=
se days.  Many people are not willing (or able) to give up that much ti=
me every week for five, six, or eight weeks. If everyone does their homework=
, and doesn't use rehearsal time to learn their lines, but to polish them, i=
t's possible to do fewer rehearsals and a better quality show.</FONT></BLOCK=
QUOTE></DIV>
<DIV>Hello Pommy....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I disagree with this one.  You somehow seem to be assuming that pr=
ofessional actors need more time in rehearsal than amateurs.  Community=
 theater actors already rehearse, on the whole, less than "professional=
" actors, whose time is carefully negotiated through union contract.  C=
ommunity theater actors, for the most part rehearse after a regular work day=
, which does not leave a lot of free time when one is in a show.  As fo=
r the proper amount of rehearsal time, I would doubt that those who spend fu=
ll time professional work on these contracts which dictate the hours&nb=
sp;that actors are permitted to rehearse have it wrong.  This woul=
d seem to work against the quality issue but be tied to the theater as fun.&=
nbsp; I would venture a guess that those that spend thoughtful prep time get=
ting all aspects of the show ready for the audience turn out to be the stron=
gest shows.  I agree that eight weeks of rehearsal is excessive... but=20=
for a musical or a very complex show, it may be warranted.  </DIV></DIV=

<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=