[NEOPAL]Response to EMK re: Spike and Ike

Pommy Pommy at neo.rr.com
Mon Apr 10 05:13:11 PDT 2006

--=====================_3142586==_.ALT

In a message dated 4/9/2006 10:18:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Pommy at neo.rr.com writes:
Which leads me to another problem I see with community theater: It seems
that every play you try out for wants to rehearse Sunday through Thursday
every week (and sometimes Fridays). I believe that's one of the reasons not
as many people show up to auditions these days. Many people are not willing
(or able) to give up that much time every week for five, six, or eight
weeks. If everyone does their homework, and doesn't use rehearsal time to
learn their lines, but to polish them, it's possible to do fewer rehearsals
and a better quality show.

EMK responded:

 >Hello Pommy....

 >I disagree with this one. You somehow seem to be assuming that
professional actors need more time in rehearsal than amateurs.

Not sure how you got that out of it, EMK, since professional actors spend
less time in actual rehearsal than those in amateur theaters.  They may
rehearse as many nights a week (and spend more time away from rehearsal
preparing for their role), but the actual rehearsal period is shorter - and
when they do get to rehearsal, they've already learned their lines and are
ready to begin rehearsing.

 >Community theater actors already rehearse, on the whole, less than
"professional" actors,

I don't agree with this statement.  A professional show I was involved in
last year rehearsed for about 3 weeks.  It's a lot more palatable to give
up three weeks to intensive rehearsals than it is for 6-8 weeks.

 >whose time is carefully negotiated through union contract.

And they are able to do this because they go about it in a more
professional manner than most community theater actors (i.e., not wasting
time at rehearsals and learning lines long before those in most
non-professional theaters.)

 >I would venture a guess that those that spend thoughtful prep time
getting all aspects of the show ready for the audience turn out to be the
strongest shows.

That's odd.  You seem to be saying basically the same thing I
said.  Thoughtful prep time...leaning lines ahead of time...equal quality
performance.  We agree!  :-)

 > I agree that eight weeks of rehearsal is excessive... but for a musical
or a very complex show, it may be warranted.

Again, with judicious management of time I don't agree it is necessary to
dictate that long a rehearsal process.  And, even if some theaters/actors
believe it is necessary - that does not change the fact that this, more
than any other, is the reason fewer people are auditioning for plays these
days.  It has become more and more difficult for people to commit to 6-8
weeks of almost-every-night rehearsals - not to mention the 3-4 weekends of
shows that follow.

--Linda

--=====================_3142586==_.ALT

Time, Pommy at neo.rr.com writes:<br>
Which leads me to another problem I see with community theater: It seems
that every play you try out for wants to rehearse Sunday through Thursday
every week (and sometimes Fridays). I believe that's one of the reasons
not as many people show up to auditions these days. Many people are not
willing (or able) to give up that much time every week for five, six, or
eight weeks. If everyone does their homework, and doesn't use rehearsal
time to learn their lines, but to polish them, it's possible to do fewer
rehearsals and a better quality show.<br>
EMK responded:<br>
>Hello Pommy....<br>
>I disagree with this one. You somehow seem to be assuming that
professional actors need more time in rehearsal than amateurs.<br>
that out of it, EMK, since professional actors spend <i>less</i> time in
actual rehearsal than those in amateur theaters.  They may rehearse
as many nights a week (and spend more time away from rehearsal preparing
for their role), but the actual rehearsal period is shorter - and when
they do get to rehearsal, they've already learned their lines and are
ready to begin rehearsing.<br>
than "professional" actors, <br>
statement.  A professional show I was involved in last year
rehearsed for about 3 weeks.  It's a lot more palatable to give up
three weeks to intensive rehearsals than it is for 6-8 weeks.<br>
contract.<br>
because they go about it in a more professional manner than most
community theater actors (i.e., not wasting time at rehearsals and
learning lines long before those in most non-professional
theaters.)<br>
time getting all aspects of the show ready for the audience turn out to
be the strongest shows.<br>
be saying basically the same thing I said.  Thoughtful prep
time...leaning lines ahead of time...equal quality performance.  We
agree!  :-)<br>
a musical or a very complex show, it may be warranted. <br>
management of time I don't agree it is necessary to dictate that long a
rehearsal process.  And, even if some theaters/actors believe it is
necessary - that does not change the fact that this, more than any other,
is the reason fewer people are auditioning for plays these days.  It
has become more and more difficult for people to commit to 6-8 weeks of
almost-every-night rehearsals - not to mention the 3-4 weekends of shows
that follow.<br>