[NEOPAL]"Blackbird" -- a Must See!

Pommy Pommy at neo.rr.com
Fri Apr 14 09:07:08 PDT 2006

My husband and I attended The Bang and The Clatter's production of
"Blackbird" last night and it was unbelievably good.  Sean Derry and Alanna
Romansky, the two performers were absolutely riveting. "Blackbird" is a sad
tale about a disabled veteran and a hooker/junkie, who live together in a
depressing little apartment that is about one step above a homeless state
-- yet the story has a beauty about it that's hard to pin down.  The two
are constantly fighting, but it's obvious they care deeply for each
other.  The play, by Adam Rapp, even has some comedic moments and one
wonderful scene where "Froggy" does an exotic dance for "Baylis."  Other
than those lighter moments, it is a very disturbing piece of theater.

The set is a real gem.  Very simple, stark, but so real-looking and so tiny
that you can almost believe yourself in the apartment with them.  The
direction was excellent, as well.  That, together with the stunning
performances of the two actors makes it definitely worthwhile watching.  I
don't know if this has happened at all the performances of "Blackbird," but
last night, not a soul applauded after the final scene.  To me, that was a
bigger accolade that a standing "O."

Luckily, for those who missed it, there is one more performance (at a
special rate for NEOPAL subscribers) this coming Monday, April 17.  Do
yourself a favor and go see this extraordinary production.  The phone
number for reservations is 330-606-5317.

--Linda Ryan