[NEOPAL]re: Playhouse Square

Donald Bernardo donbernardo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 23 07:37:04 PDT 2006

--0-397120943-1145803024=:82877

Quoting Lee Kamps:

  "We can also be fortunate that here in Cleveland, the cost to see
quality productions like "Wicked" is affordable to many people. If you were to
go to New York or Los Angeles, you would have to pay far more to see the same
production."

  Ridiculous.  It's certainly NOT "the same production."  It may be "the same SHOW," but it is not the same production.  It's a touring company, and anyone who doesn't appreciate the difference doesn't know theatre.  I saw "Wicked" on B'way (w/ Idina Menzel), and I'm going to see it at P'house Square because I like the show.  But it ain't gonna be the same performance...I wouldn't pay B'way prices to see a touring company.

  "Many of those that purchase subscription series also are donors whose
names are listed in the program. Without those donors ("angels") and advance
subscription sales of tickets, those shows you want to see would not be
coming to Cleveland at all...If the arts had to depend on just those single ticket sales for revenue without asking for donations and selling advance subscription
series, then the whole arts scene would be far less rich than it is."

  This is also ridiculous, and displays a shocking ignorance of the realities of the economics and TRUE impact of Playhouse Square on the local arts community:

  Any profit from those touring shows leaves town, going into the pockets of those who invested in the creation of the tour.  I'm not suggesting that's not as it should be, but let's not confuse the profit motive with some kind of altruistic motive to benefit the local arts scene.

  Those local P'house Square donors have, in effect, "subsidized" a profitable tour produced by out-of-town investors who are (make no mistake) making money.  Since its conception, Playhouse Square has therefore diverted and distracted philanthropic dollars AWAY from local arts organizations, to provide what amounts to a local subsidy to these out-of-town investors.  Don't pretend that Playhouse Square is somehow "enriching the local arts scene" more than it is hurting it, 'cause that simply ain't the case, from a bottom-line economic standpoint.

  A few local folks benefit, to some extent.  Playhouse Square does, of course, employ people (box office personnel, some stage crew, a few musicians on occasion, etc).  And I'm not minimizing the importance of that employment.  But let's not ignore the realities of the situation.