[NEOPAL]Re:An Open Letter about Playhouse Square

Lee Kamps lee921 at att.net
Sun Apr 23 10:58:19 PDT 2006

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C666DD.FD6B21A0

You have added some excellent items for saving money for tickets to quality
productions in Cleveland. I have been buying the entertainment book for
almost 20 years and through that I have enjoyed many productions and shows
at a much reduced price. The cost of the book is cheap compared to the
savings found in it. It pays for itself many times over. I have also taken
advantage of the policy of Playhouse Square to offer same day tickets to
many shows at half price by walking up to their kiosk (now closed) or the
box office on the day of the show. Don't expect to get half price tickets
for Friday or Saturday evening shows, but very often midweek and matinee
performances are available.

Obviously those complaining about the high cost of ticket prices and
unavailability of "cheap tickets" don't realize the many ways to obtain good
seats at a significant discount. Also I agree with your point that no one
should have to put up with poor customer service. ASK about the sight lines
before purchasing your tickets. If the sight lines are not to your liking,
then don't buy the tickets. Also if you are sitting far away from the stage,
bring a pair of binoculars.

It is ironic that people very often complain about the high cost of tickets
for productions at Playhouse Square, yet no one seems to complain about the
ridiculous cost of tickets to a Browns or Caviliers game. No one seems to
complain about a beer at the "Q", Jacobs Field or the Browns stadium costing
more than a 12 pack at a retail store. No one seems to complain about paying
inflated prices for nachos or hot dogs at the ballpark. I don't hear people
complaining about having to pay $10 - $20 to park your car downtown.

A few years ago I attended a concert at the "Q". The cost of the tickets was
gastronomical (it would make you sick); but I wanted to see the performer
and I never hesitated at the ticket price. However the acoustics were awful
and I got better sound from my home CD system. I wasn't allowed to bring my
binocuars to the Gund Arena (someone may be hiding a bomb in a binocular
case) and they wanted to rip me off to rent a pair of binoculars to see the
performance. Needless to say I don't think I will see another rock concert
at the "Q" again.

The same thing happens at Blosson for rock concerts where they have the
"cooler cops" on the bridge making sure no one brings in a bottle of wine.
They want to rip you off for $8.00 beers and $5.00 pops. Yet you can bring
in all the marajuana you can smoke. A few years ago I went to see Santana
and had lawn seats. I was able to bring in my binoculars (only after the
"cooler cops" had me open the case to make sure there REALLY was a pair of
binoculars in there). On the lawn at that concert if you were downwind from
some groups, you could get high just by breathing.

However you can't beat a concert by the Cleveland Orchestra on the lawn at
Blosson. There are no "cooler cops" on the bridge and you can bring in a
picnic with a bottle of wine and really enjoy the concert. Now if only those
parents of small children that take those children to orchestra concerts
would leave those children at home with a sitter, it would be perfect.

Lee Kamps