[NEOPAL]re: Playhouse Square

Donald Bernardo donbernardo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 24 08:35:22 PDT 2006

--0-591395463-1145892922=:71217

Thanks for your respose, Mr. Ingraham.  You, and several other people (judging from my inbox this morning), seem to have missed my point to some degree, so allow me to clarify:

  I don't hate P'house Square.  I just take umbrage when someone focuses on it as the "holy of holies" of arts organizations in Cleveland.  And I AM a development type - not only that, I was managing director of an arts organization in this town for four years, served on the board of another one for two years, and I have an MBA in arts management, so I have some professional experience in the matter.

  I never said "all your donations go out of town," and I don't know what you think "my wish" is.  Do you think I want P'house Square to close?  If so, then you have vastly misconstrued my position.

  I DID, however, say that P'house Square does more to subsidize out-of-town arts business than it does to support the local cultural community.  I stand by that particular statement.

  Yes, P'house Square is great for downtown, and it's great for local employment, etc. And I certainly agree with your point about parking, restaurants, etc. (collateral economic benefit).  But that wasn't my original point.  The fact is that P'house Square also draws substantial local philanthropic dollars - dollars which are not then available for investment in other (I don't even say "smaller") arts organizations regionally.  For example:  have you tried getting corporate support lately?  I have - and I have come to the conclusion that the term "corporate philanthropy" is an oxymoron when it comes to arts groups.  Only the larger strictly cultural institutions - the art museum, orchestra, and (wait for it) P'House Square are receiving any substantial corporate support.

  You don't want to get me started about the local foundation situation.  You just don't.  I'm not even going there.  Sorry...

  Sure P'house Square "gets a cut" of each and every ticket sold.  Yes, that keeps their doors open.  My point is (and was), that does nothing substantial to benefit "the arts community" in Cleveland, which consists of many, many other organizations.

  Yes, GLTF and the Cleveland Opera (now Opera Cleveland) perform at P'house Square.  The opera will be doing 50% fewer performances there in upcoming seasons.  Ask yourself why.  In fact, ask ANY truly "local" organization who tries (or does) perform at PHS about the economics involved - or even something mundane like scheduling issues.  You'll get an education, believe me.

  Again, I think P'house Square is a wonderful thing.  I'm down there myself several times a year, and I've got tickets to "Wicked" in June.  I just happen to disagree with those who glorify the Square's benefits to the "local arts scene" at the expense of everyone else out there.

  Believe me, 'cause I've been there - running a small (if you consider a $600,000+ annual budget "small") arts organization in this town is substantially harder in a universe that also contains the Art Museum, the Orchestra, and P'house Square - not to mention the science center, Rock Hall, etc.  I wouldn't trade those "jewels in the cultural crown of Cleveland" for anything, but I also value the contributions made to our "arts scene" by smaller groups.  My central position is simply that Cleveland philanthropists could make much more "impactful" investments in our cultural life by supporting these smaller groups, rather plunging all their support into a thinly-veiled real estate holding company that operates a few theatrical venues.

  Getting of the soapbox, now, 'cause that's not what this forum is for - but I would happily continue the discussion directly with those who are interested.