[NEohioPAL]Jazz Great Slide Hampton to Perform with Oberlin Jazz Musicians May 13

Marci Janas Marci.Janas at oberlin.edu
Fri May 5 11:05:56 PDT 2006

--Boundary_(ID_hJSEAObNglEmpi7gQfIoWg)

Media Contact Only:
Marci Janas, Director of Conservatory Media Relations
440-775-8328 (office); 440-667-2724 (cell); marci.janas at oberlin.edu

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Jazz Great Slide Hampton to Perform with the Oberlin Jazz Ensemble
Saturday, May 13, in Finney Chapel

OBERLIN, OHIO (May 5, 2006) =97 Master composer, arranger, and =
trombonist=20
Slide Hampton will visit the Oberlin Conservatory of Music from May 11=20=

-13 to conduct master classes and workshops with students in the=20
Conservatory=92s jazz studies program. His visit will culminate in a=20
free, public concert with the Oberlin Jazz Ensemble, conducted by=20
Wendell Logan, chair of the jazz studies program and professor of=20
African American music. The concert, which takes place in Finney Chapel=20=

on Saturday, May 13, at 8 p.m., will feature original compositions and=20=

arrangements by Hampton. For more information, visit www.oberlin.edu or=20=

call the Conservatory=92s 24-hour Concert Hotline
at 440-775-6933.
	Hampton is music director of the JazzMasters, a group that =
includes=20
saxophonist Jimmy Heath (who visited Oberlin last year) and trumpeter=20
Roy Hargrove. JazzMasters evolved from a yearlong fete in 1992 =97=20
=93Dizzy's Diamond Jubilee=94 =97 which honored Dizzy Gillespie=92s 75th=20=

birthday, and for which Hampton served as musical director.
	Hampton is also one of the most sought-after teachers and =
clinicians=20
in the jazz community; one of his former students is Oberlin Associate=20=

Professor of Jazz Trombone Robin Eubanks.
	=93I sat in with Slide one night at a club in Philly,=94 Eubanks =
recalls.=20
=93He asked me to join his trombone group that night. He took me under=20=

his wing and taught me many things. I think he is the greatest living=20
jazz trombonist in the world!=94
	As a master trombonist, composer, arranger, and teacher, Hampton =
is a=20
formidable champion of the jazz tradition and an innovative herald of=20
jazz evolution.
	Through countless collaborations with the most prominent =
musicians of=20
this century and through his tireless mission to bring jazz to=20
audiences around the world, he has graciously assumed the=20
responsibility of being an international ambassador of American=20
classical music. His many honors include two Grammy Awards and a=20
National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Master Fellowship.
	 =93Arguably the finest exponent of (J. J.) Johnson=92s legacy =
is Slide=20
Hampton,=94 wrote Stanley Crouch, =93a virtuoso melodist with =
blues-tinged=20
fire, immaculate intonation, and writing skills reflected in the=20
continuity, variety, and drama of his improvisations.=94
	For someone who took up the instrument because his father needed =
a=20
trombonist in the family band, Hampton once observed it was more than=20
likely fate. =93I probably would have chosen another instrument, but I=92m=
=20
glad I didn't.=94

=09
CALENDAR LISTING
Slide Hampton and the Oberlin Jazz Ensemble
Saturday, May 13
Finney Chapel, 8 p.m.
440-775-6933
FREE
Free parking
###

Marci Janas
Director of Conservatory Media Relations
Oberlin Conservatory of Music
39 West College Street
Oberlin, OH  44074
www.oberlin.edu/con
(P) 440-775-8328
(F) 440-775-5457
marci.janas at oberlin.edu=

--Boundary_(ID_hJSEAObNglEmpi7gQfIoWg)

Media Relations

440-775-8328 (office); 440-667-2724 (cell);
=
lor></underline>

</smaller>

</flushright><underline>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:=20

</underline><bold>

the Oberlin Jazz Ensemble=20

Saturday, May 13, in Finney Chapel</bigger>

</bold><italic><x-tad-bigger>

</x-tad-bigger></italic></center><x-tad-bigger>OBERLIN, OHIO (May 5,
2006) =97 Master composer, arranger, and trombonist Slide Hampton will
visit the Oberlin Conservatory of Music from May 11 -13 to conduct
master classes and workshops with students in the Conservatory=92s jazz
studies program. His visit will culminate in a free, public concert
with the Oberlin Jazz Ensemble, conducted by Wendell Logan, chair of
the jazz studies program and professor of African American music. The
concert, which takes place in Finney Chapel on Saturday, May 13, at 8
p.m., will feature original compositions and arrangements by Hampton.
For more information, visit
=
r>www.oberlin.edu</x-tad-bigger></color></underline><x-tad-bigger>
or call the Conservatory=92s 24-hour Concert Hotline

at 440-775-6933.

	Hampton is music director of the JazzMasters, a group that =
includes
saxophonist Jimmy Heath (who visited Oberlin last year) and trumpeter
Roy Hargrove. JazzMasters evolved from a yearlong fete in 1992 =97
=93Dizzy's Diamond Jubilee=94 =97 which honored Dizzy Gillespie=92s 75th
birthday, and for which Hampton served as musical director.=20

	Hampton is also one of the most sought-after teachers and =
clinicians
in the jazz community; one of his former students is Oberlin Associate
Professor of Jazz Trombone Robin Eubanks.=20

[...]

</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>	 =93Arguably the finest exponent of (J.
J.) Johnson=92s legacy is Slide Hampton,=94 wrote Stanley Crouch, =93a
virtuoso melodist with blues-tinged fire, immaculate intonation, and
writing skills reflected in the continuity, variety, and drama of his
improvisations.=94

	For someone who took up the instrument because his father needed =
trombonist in the family band, Hampton once observed it was more than
likely fate. =93I probably would have chosen another instrument, but I=92m=

glad I didn't.=94

</x-tad-bigger>

=09

<bold>CALENDAR LISTING

Slide Hampton and the Oberlin Jazz Ensemble

Saturday, May 13

Finney Chapel, 8 p.m.

440-775-6933

FREE