[NEohioPAL]JCC announces 2006-07 Arts & Culture season

Ksenia Roshchakovsky kseniar at core.com
Sun May 7 21:01:41 PDT 2006

--MS_Mac_OE_3229891301_603172_MIME_Part

NEWS from the JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER OF CLEVELAND
26001 S. Woodland Road
Beachwood, Ohio 44122

JCC Announces
2006-07 Arts & Culture Season

Batsheva Dance Company of Israel
October 12, 2006 at the Palace Theatre (Playhouse Square)

Modern Orthodox=20
Directed by Fred Sternfeld
October 19-November 21, 2006 at CCC Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center

"On A Clear Day You Can See Forever:
The Songs of Alan Jay Lerner
Bill Rudman, Nancy Maier, Scott Plate, Helen Welch
January 14, 2007 at location TBA

"Song of the Lodz Ghetto" by Brave Old World
April 1, 2007 at CCC Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center

An Evening of Classical Music
April 22, 2007 at Mandel JCC

Jolson & Company
Directed by Fred Sternfeld
April 26-May 20, 2007 at CCC Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center

(Beachwood, Ohio) =AD The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland announces its
2006-07 Arts & Culture season of dance, theater, visual arts, classical and
popular music and literary events beginning in October, 2006.

The season is made possible in part by generous funding from Roe Green and
the Green Arts Fund of the Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland, the AC=
(Cuyahoga County's 2006 Arts and Culture as Economic Development) grant and
Arts Midwest.=20

=B3We are very grateful to Roe Green who once again has enabled the JCC to
renew its commitment to support, produce and present the arts to the
Northeast Ohio Jewish community and the community-at-large,=B2 said Enid
Rosenberg, board chair of the Jewish Community Center of Cleveland.  =B3The
JCC's arts and culture program is diverse in scope, rich in tradition, and
central to the Jewish purposes of our JCC.=B2
The JCC Arts & Culture Project, DANCECleveland and Cuyahoga Community
College Performing Arts embark on a unique collaboration in order to bring
the internationally renowned Batsheva Dance Company of Israel to Cleveland
for the first time in more than ten years.  Batsheva will perform Thursday,
October 12, 2006 at Playhouse Square in the Palace Theatre.   Since its
founding in1964 by the legendary Martha Graham and Baroness Batsheva de
Rothschild, Batsheva has become one of the most influential cultural role
models in Israel.  Upon his appointment in 1990 and searching to expand the
boundaries of dance, former artistic director Ohad Naharin transformed
Batsheva into a prolific meeting point for artists of all
disciplines=8Bcomposers, filmmakers, lighting, set and costume designers,
which is continued to this day by Yoshifumi Inao who took over as artistic
director in 2003.  A compact and dynamic organization, Batsheva gives over
200 performances a year in Israel and across five continents.  The group
will perform former Artistic Director Ohad Naharin=B9s lauded Deca Dance,
described as a re-construction rather than a new work, a celebratory
tour-de-force choreographic survey of Naharin's work, which showcases the
expansive and eclectic vision of one of the world=B9s finest choreographers
and companies.   For more information on the company visit
www.israelcentersf.org.
Modern Orthodox by Daniel Goldfarb is a romantic comedy about love, dating
and unlikely friendships and will be directed by Fred Sternfeld.  The play
runs October 19-November 12, 2006 at the CCC Eastern Campus Performing Arts
Center.  A financial consultant, his doctor girlfriend and a Jewish diamond
dealer explore how faith can still be relevant in the fast-paced world of
New York City.  Goldfarb holds a mirror up to society=B9s changing attitudes
toward various key aspects of modern life and creates =B3a sharp, snappy
comedy=B2 [New York Times] that had a successful run Off Broadway in 2004-05.
The following quote from the Associated Press concisely describes why this
theater piece was included in the 2006-07 season:  "The place of
conservatism in the modern world can be a polarizing topic.  In Modern
Orthodox, Daniel Goldfarb's entertaining new play, it also happens to be a
potent source of comedy=8AGoldfarb's writing hints at classic comedy films of
the 1940s or 1950s, with some exchanges seeming as though they could have
been written for Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn=8A"
=B3On A Clear Day You Can See Forever:  The Songs of Alan Jay Lerner" will be
hosted by Bill Rudman and features vocalists Scott Plate and Helen Welch,
accompanied by Nancy Gantose-Maier.  =B3On A Clear Day=8A=B2 will occur on Sunday=
,
January 14, 2007 at a place to be announced.  Lyricist and Broadway legend
Alan Jay Lerner was the last of the great Romantics.  The heartfelt scores
he wrote with Frederick Loewe include such classics as My Fair Lady,
Brigadoon, Camelot and Gigi.  This concert reflects the JCC Arts & Culture'=
interest in presenting works included in the Great Jewish American Songbook=
,
which was begun in the Project's inaugural season three years ago.  It
focuses on a glorious celebration of the American musical heritage, and is
rooted in the songs of an international theater artist whose work has
demonstrated universal appeal with themes that are consistent with Jewish
sensibilities and values.
=B2Song of the Lodz Ghetto=B2 is a unique musical performance by Brave Old
World, a world-renowned Klezmer and new Jewish music group founded in 1989.
=B3Song of the Lodz Ghetto=B2 will take place on Sunday, April 1, 2007 at the
Cuyahoga Community College Metro Campus.   Songs and compositions are
interwoven with songs from Lodz and traditional Jewish tunes from Central
Poland, creating a musical journey that traverses the distance between
pre-war Europe, the Holocaust and current time.  This concert is presented
in collaboration with CCC Metro Campus.
An Evening of Classical Music returns for its seventh year at the Mandel JC=
Stonehill Auditorium on April 22, 2007.  This extraordinary concert brings
together an astounding array of world-renowned classical musicians, many
from the former Soviet Union, who have played and recorded with The
Cleveland Orchestra and many of the other great orchestras in the world.
Audiences will enjoy the music of both Russian and world composers as
members of Cleveland's New American community contribute their virtuosity
and time to this annual concert.

Completing the 2006-07 season is an exhilarating musical celebration of the
life and songs of Al Jolson.  Jolson and Company will be directed by Fred
Sternfeld and will run April 26-May 20, 2007 at the Cuyahoga Community
College Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center.  Written by Stephen Mo Hanan
and Jay Berkow, the show is set during a live 1949 radio broadcast on stage
of the historic Winter Garden Theatre.  While Jolson recalls colorful
moments from his life as the =B3World=B9s Greatest Entertainer,=B2 two actors pla=
all the other characters including show business luminaries and his wives,
among them Ruby Keeler.  The vivid memories of his mother, vaudeville,
Broadway, feature films and five marriages together with unforgettable
renditions of =B3Swanee,=B2 =B3You Made Me Love You,=B2 =B3Sonny Boy,=B2 =B3California
Here I Come,=B2 =B3April Showers,=B2 =B3Mammy=B2 and other Jolson standards made this
sparkling biographical musical a hit Off Broadway and in London.

The full complement of JCC Arts & Culture programs for the 2006-07 season
includes the seventh annual Festival of Jewish Books and Authors (November
6-20) and an exciting new addition to the program this year, Live from New
York=B9s 92nd Street Y.  Beginning this fall, the JCC will exclusively
broadcast, live via satellite, six programs from the 92nd Street Y Notable
Lecture Series.  The lecture series will feature some of the world=B9s most
fascinating newsmakers, political figures, opinion-shapers and/or authors.

Also included in the 2006-07 season are Playmakers Youth Theatre production=
(pending availability) of Cinderella in November, Joseph and the Amazing
Technicolor Dreamcoat in December, Beehive in February and Grandtyme
Intergenerational Musical, an original production written by the JCC=B9s Yout=
Theatre Director, Sherri Gross.  And in spring, the JCC will again have the
opportunity to sponsor the Sidebar of Jewish Israeli films at the 31st
Annual Cleveland International Film Festival, the Dorothy Silver Playwritin=
Competition and the 37th Annual Jewish Community Center Photography Show.

The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland builds and strengthens Cleveland's
entire Jewish Community by providing exceptional programs and services that
enhance Jewish continuity and Jewish identity in four key program areas:
Fitness, Wellness and Recreation, Preschool/Early Childhood Education,
Camping and Cultural Arts. Membership to The JCC is open to all. The JCC ha=
been serving the greater Cleveland community for more than 50 years. The
Center is a non-profit social service agency that receives funding from The
Jewish Community Federation, The United Way, grants, donations and other
public funding sources.

Media Contacts:   Ksenia Roshchakovsky 216-291-2195 kseniar at core.com and
Debra Posner 216-593-6294 dposner at CleveJcc.org

=AD JCC =AD

--MS_Mac_OE_3229891301_603172_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>JCC announces 2006-07 Arts & Culture season</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><H3>NEWS from the JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER OF CLEVELAND<B=

</H3>26001 S. Woodland Road<BR>
Beachwood, Ohio 44122<BR>
<BR>
<H1>JCC Announces<BR>
2006-07 Arts & Culture Season<BR>
<BR>
</H1><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>Batsheva Dance Company of Israel<BR>
</B></FONT>October 12, 2006 at the Palace Theatre (Playhouse Square)<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B><I>Modern Orthodox</I></B></FONT><B><I> <BR>
</I></B>Directed by Fred Sternfeld<BR>
October 19-November 21, 2006 at CCC Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center<B=

<BR>
<H2>"On A Clear Day You Can See Forever: <BR>
 The Songs of Alan Jay Lerner<BR>
</H2>Bill Rudman, Nancy Maier, Scott Plate, Helen Welch<BR>
January 14, 2007 at location TBA<BR>
<BR>
<H2>"Song of the Lodz Ghetto" by Brave Old World<BR>
</H2>April 1, 2007 at CCC Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center<BR>
<BR>
<H2>An Evening of Classical Music<BR>
</H2>April 22, 2007 at Mandel JCC<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B><I>Jolson & Company<BR>
</I></B></FONT>Directed by Fred Sternfeld<BR>
April 26-May 20, 2007 at CCC Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center<BR>
</FONT>
<P>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
<B>(Beachwood, Ohio)</B> =AD<B> </B>The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland =
announces its 2006-07 Arts & Culture season of dance, theater, visual ar=
ts, classical and popular music and literary events beginning in October, 20=
06.<BR>
<BR>
The season is made possible in part by generous funding from Roe Green and =
the Green Arts Fund of the Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland, the ACE=
 (Cuyahoga County's 2006 Arts and Culture as Economic Development) grant and=
 Arts Midwest. <BR>
<BR>
=B3We are very grateful to Roe Green who once again has enabled the JCC to re=
new its commitment to support, produce and present the arts to the Northeast=
 Ohio Jewish community and the community-at-large,=B2 said Enid Rosenberg, boa=
rd chair of the Jewish Community Center of Cleveland.  =B3The JCC's arts =
and culture program is diverse in scope, rich in tradition, and central to t=
he Jewish purposes of our JCC.=B2<BR>
The JCC Arts & Culture Project, DANCECleveland and Cuyahoga Community C=
ollege Performing Arts embark on a unique collaboration in order to bring th=
e internationally renowned <B>Batsheva Dance Company of Israel </B>to Clevel=
and for the first time in<B> </B>more than ten years.<B> </B> Batsheva<B> </=
B>will perform <B>Thursday, October 12, 2006 at Playhouse Square </B>in the =
Palace Theatre.   Since its founding in1964 by the legendary Marth=
a Graham and Baroness Batsheva de Rothschild, <B>Batsheva</B> has become one=
 of the most influential cultural role models in Israel. <I> </I>Upon his ap=
pointment in 1990 and searching to expand the boundaries of dance, former ar=
tistic director Ohad Naharin transformed Batsheva into a prolific meeting po=
int for artists of all disciplines=8Bcomposers, filmmakers, lighting, set and =
costume designers, which is continued to this day by Yoshifumi Inao who took=
 over as artistic director in 2003.  A compact and dynamic organization=
, <B>Batsheva </B>gives over 200 performances a year in Israel and across fi=
ve continents.  The group will perform former Artistic Director Ohad Na=
harin=B9s lauded <B><I>Deca Dance,</I></B> described as a re-construction rath=
er than a new work, a celebratory tour-de-force choreographic survey of Naha=
rin's work, which showcases the expansive and eclectic vision of one of the =
world=B9s finest choreographers and companies.   For more informatio=
n on the company visit <B>www.israelcentersf.org.<I> <BR>
Modern</I></B> <B><I>Orthodox</I></B> by Daniel Goldfarb is a romantic come=
dy about love, dating and unlikely friendships and will be directed by Fred =
Sternfeld.  The play runs <B>October 19-November 12, 2006 at the CCC Ea=
stern Campus Performing Arts Center</B>.  A financial consultant, his d=
octor girlfriend and a Jewish diamond dealer explore how faith can still be =
relevant in the fast-paced world of New York City.  Goldfarb holds a mi=
rror up to society=B9s changing attitudes toward various key aspects of modern=
 life and creates =B3a sharp, snappy comedy=B2 [<I>New York Times</I>] that had =
a successful run Off Broadway in 2004-05.  The following quote from the=
 Associated Press concisely describes why this theater piece was included in=
 the 2006-07 season:  "The place of conservatism in the modern wor=
ld can be a polarizing topic.  In Modern Orthodox, Daniel Goldfarb's en=
tertaining new play, it also happens to be a potent source of comedy=8AGoldfar=
b's writing hints at classic comedy films of the 1940s or 1950s, with some e=
xchanges seeming as though they could have been written for Spencer Tracy an=
d Katherine Hepburn=8A"<BR>
<B>=B3On A Clear Day You Can See Forever:  The Songs of Alan Jay Lerner&=
quot; </B>will be hosted by <B>Bill Rudman</B> and features vocalists <B>Sco=
tt Plate</B> and <B>Helen Welch</B>, accompanied by <B>Nancy Gantose-Maier</=
B>. <B> </B>=B3On A Clear Day=8A=B2 will occur on<B> Sunday, January 14, 2007 </B>=
at a place to be announced.<B> </B> Lyricist and Broadway legend Alan Jay Le=
rner was the last of the great Romantics.  The heartfelt scores he wrot=
e with Frederick Loewe include such classics as <I>My Fair Lady, Brigadoon, =
Camelot</I> and <I>Gigi</I>.  This concert reflects the JCC Arts & =
Culture's interest in presenting works included in the Great Jewish American=
 Songbook, which was begun in the Project's inaugural season three years ago=
.  It focuses on a glorious celebration of the American musical heritag=
e, and is rooted in the songs of an international theater artist whose work =
has demonstrated universal appeal with themes that are consistent with Jewis=
h sensibilities and values.<BR>
<B>=B2Song of the Lodz Ghetto=B2</B> is a unique musical performance by Brave O=
ld World, a world-renowned Klezmer and new Jewish music group founded in 198=
9.  =B3Song of the Lodz Ghetto=B2 will take place on <B>Sunday, April 1, 20=
07</B> at the <B>Cuyahoga Community College Metro Campus.  </B> Songs a=
nd compositions are interwoven with songs from Lodz and traditional Jewish t=
unes from Central Poland, creating a musical journey that traverses the dist=
ance between pre-war Europe, the Holocaust and current time.  This conc=
ert is presented in collaboration with CCC Metro Campus. <BR>
<B>An Evening of Classical Music</B> returns for its seventh year at the <B=
>Mandel JCC Stonehill Auditorium</B> on <B>April 22, 2007</B>.  This ex=
traordinary concert brings together an astounding array of world-renowned cl=
assical musicians, many from the former Soviet Union, who have played and re=
corded with The Cleveland Orchestra and many of the other great orchestras i=
n the world. Audiences will enjoy the music of both Russian and world compos=
ers as members of Cleveland's New American community contribute their virtuo=
sity and time to this annual concert.<BR>
<BR>
Completing the 2006-07 season is an exhilarating musical celebration of the=
 life and songs of Al Jolson.  <B>Jolson and Company</B> will be direct=
ed by Fred Sternfeld and will run<B> April 26-May 20, 2007 </B>at the<B> Cuy=
ahoga Community College Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center</B>.  Wri=
tten by Stephen Mo Hanan and Jay Berkow, the show is set during a live 1949 =
radio broadcast on stage of the historic Winter Garden Theatre.  While =
Jolson recalls colorful moments from his life as the =B3World=B9s Greatest Enter=
tainer,=B2 two actors play all the other characters including show business lu=
minaries and his wives, among them Ruby Keeler.  The vivid memories of =
his mother, vaudeville, Broadway, feature films and five marriages together =
with unforgettable renditions of =B3Swanee,=B2 =B3You Made Me Love You,=B2 =B3Sonny Bo=
y,=B2 =B3California Here I Come,=B2 =B3April Showers,=B2 =B3Mammy=B2 and other Jolson stan=
dards made this sparkling biographical musical a hit Off Broadway and in Lon=
don. <BR>
<BR>
The full complement of JCC Arts & Culture programs for the 2006-07 seas=
on includes the seventh annual <B>Festival of Jewish Books and Authors </B>(=
November 6-20) and an exciting new addition to the program this year,<B> Liv=
e from New York=B9s 92nd Street Y.  </B>Beginning this fall, the JCC will=
 exclusively broadcast, live via satellite, six programs from the 92nd Stree=
t Y Notable Lecture Series. <B> </B>The lecture series will feature some of =
the world=B9s most fascinating newsmakers, political figures, opinion-shapers =
and/or authors.<BR>
<BR>
Also included in the 2006-07 season are <B>Playmakers Youth Theatre</B> pro=
ductions (pending availability) of <I>Cinderella</I> in November, <I>Joseph =
and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat</I> in December, <I>Beehive</I> in Feb=
ruary and <I>Grandtyme Intergenerational Musical</I>, an original production=
 written by the JCC=B9s Youth Theatre Director, Sherri Gross.  And in spr=
ing, the JCC will again have the opportunity to sponsor the <B>Sidebar of Je=
wish Israeli films at the 31st Annual Cleveland International Film Festival,=
 the Dorothy Silver Playwriting Competition</B> and the <B>37th Annual Jewis=
h Community Center Photography Show.<BR>
<BR>
</B>The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland<I> </I>builds and strengthens =
Cleveland's entire Jewish Community by providing exceptional programs and se=
rvices that enhance Jewish continuity and Jewish identity in four key progra=
m areas:  Fitness, Wellness and Recreation, Preschool/Early Childhood E=
ducation, Camping and Cultural Arts. Membership to The JCC is open to all. T=
he JCC has been serving the greater Cleveland community for more than 50 yea=
rs. The Center is a non-profit social service agency that receives funding f=
rom The Jewish Community Federation, The United Way, grants, donations and o=
ther public funding sources.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><B>Media Contacts:   Ksenia Roshcha=
kovsky</B> 216-291-2195 kseniar at core.com and </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B>De=
bra Posner </B>216-593-6294 dposner at CleveJcc.org<BR>
<BR>
<B>=AD JCC =AD<BR>
<BR>
</B></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3229891301_603172_MIME_Part--