[NEohioPAL]Weekend Solo Workshop: June 23rd-25th

Smorton8 at aol.com Smorton8 at aol.com
Wed May 10 10:11:05 PDT 2006

-------------------------------1147281065

WRITING ON YOUR FEET
A 3- day solo intensive workshop:  June 23rd-25th.=20
Taught by playwright/performer Sarah Morton=20

Are you interested in creating solo work, but afraid to try it, because you=20
think you're
=E2=80=98not a writer?' Are you a writer or performer looking for ways to ju=
mp start=20
the=20
creative process? =20

Writing doesn't always start with a pen and paper. Some of our best solo=20
performers
( John Leguizamo, Danny Hoch) begin the process =E2=80=98 on their feet', do=
ing=20
extensive work with improvisation, movement, music, and dance, before writin=
g down=20
a single word.   This 3- day workshop will introduce you to alternative ways=
=20
of creating solo work. We will move through a series of physical and=20
improvisational exercises to spark ideas for stories and characters, and the=
n explore=20
ways to =E2=80=98get it down' on paper and shape your discoveries into dynam=
ic,=20
theatrical monologues.=20

Workshop meets at ORTHODOX, in the Detroit Avenue Arts complex, next to=20
Cleveland Public Theatre, at W.65th and Detroit.=20

Dates/Times:
Friday June 23rd from 6:30-8:30 pm=20
Saturday, June 24th from 10 am-1 pm.=20
Sunday, June 25th, from 2-5 pm.=20

* Students must be able to attend all 3 sessions.=20

Investment: 75 dollars.=20
**Class size is limited. Please register early.=20

For more information, or to register, please contact Sarah Morton at=20
smorton8 at aol.com.=20
or call (216) 534-7543.=20

Comments from former students of Sarah Morton's solo workshops:  =20

This workshop has been a terrific experience. I've been struggling for a=20
while,
ever since I started writing plays, to find my voice and express things I=20
really want to express. This class has helped me so much to begin to discove=
r=20
that voice. =20
                                           -- Cheryl Games, actor.=20

 Nowhere else have I felt the support and security to experiment with my sol=
o=20
pieces. My characters came to life with the suggestions of fellow classmates=
=20
and under Sarah's careful guidance.  This is truly a =E2=80=98not to miss' c=
lass...I=20
highly recommend it.
                                             =E2=80=93 Felicita Sanchez ,act=
or
     =20
Sarah is an excellent listener, very adept at hearing not only what you say,=
=20
but=20
what you WANT to say. She creates a fertile, stimulating environment. We all=
=20
felt safe enough to stretch ourselves. The class was excellent in that it ga=
ve=20
me a sense of needing to be accountable as a writer, not only to myself, but=
=20
to others as well.
                                                 - Scott Plate, actor/direct=
or
                                                                           =20=
 =20
                                                                           =20=
 =20
                                                            =20
With Sarah Morton's coaching and direction, I developed, wrote, and performe=
d=20
the stories that resided within me for almost forty years, awaiting their=20
birth moment.
                                                            -- Ubu Zurub,=20
writer/performer/comedienne
    =20
About the instructor:=20
Sarah Morton is a playwright, actor, educator, and activist, and a native of=
=20
Cleveland, Ohio.
She recently performed her solo piece,  4 MINUTES TO HAPPY at the New York=20
International Fringe Festival and at Cleveland Public Theatre, where it was=20
nominated for a Northern Ohio Live Theatre Achievement Award and a Cleveland=
=20
Theater Collective award for Best Actress.  Other  productions include  THRE=
E WORDS=20
with Great Lakes Theatre Festival (tour),  NIGHT BLOOMERS with Emerging=20
Artists Theater in NYC, and COURAGE OF I, a series of monologues created wit=
h the=20
residents of the Elyria YWCA, and produced by Cleveland Public Theatre.  She=
=20
has been an artist in residence at Cleveland State University, Cleveland Sch=
ool=20
of the Arts, Shaker Heights High School, and Hathaway Brown School, and an=20
education staff member at Cleveland Public Theatre, where she taught Writing=
 for=20
Solo Performance for beginning and advanced students.  For the past six year=
s,=20
she has also been teaching and designing curriculum for The Cleveland Play=20
House's  highly regarded  Young Playwrights Workshop, a program for gifted h=
igh=20
school writers.  Her play NIGHT BLOOMERS will receive its world premiere at=20
The Cleveland Play House's new work festival, Fusion Fest, in May of 2006.=20

=20
                                                                           =20=
 =20
                             =20

-------------------------------1147281065

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3DUTF-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2873" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>WRITING ON YOUR FEET<BR>A 3- day solo intensive workshop:  June 23=
rd-25th. <BR>Taught by playwright/performer Sarah Morton </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Are you interested in creating solo work, but afraid to try it, because=
 you think you're<BR>=E2=80=98not a writer?' Are you a writer or performer l=
ooking for ways to jump start the <BR>creative process?  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Writing doesn't always start with a pen and paper. Some of our best sol=
o performers<BR>( John Leguizamo, Danny Hoch) begin the process =E2=80=98 on=
 their feet', doing extensive work with improvisation, movement, music, and=20=
dance, before writing down a single word.   This 3- day workshop w=
ill introduce you to alternative ways of creating solo work. We will move th=
rough a series of physical and improvisational exercises to spark ideas for=20=
stories and characters, and then explore ways to =E2=80=98get it down' on pa=
per and shape your discoveries into dynamic, theatrical monologues. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Workshop meets at ORTHODOX, in the Detroit Avenue Arts complex, next to=
 Cleveland Public Theatre, at W.65th and Detroit. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Dates/Times:<BR>Friday June 23rd from 6:30-8:30 pm <BR>Saturday, June 2=
4th from 10 am-1 pm. <BR>Sunday, June 25th, from 2-5 pm. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>* Students must be able to attend all 3 sessions. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Investment: 75 dollars. <BR>**Class size is limited. Please register ea=
rly. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>For more information, or to register, please contact Sarah Morton at <A=
 href=3D"mailto:smorton8 at aol.com">smorton8 at aol.com</A>. <BR>or call (216) 53=
4-7543. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Comments from former students of Sarah Morton's solo workshops: &n=
bsp; </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>This workshop has been a terrific experience. I've been struggling for=20=
a while,<BR>ever since I started writing plays, to find my voice and express=
 things I really want to express. This class has helped me so much to begin=20=
to discover that voice.  <BR>       =
            &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;          -- Cheryl Games,=20=
actor. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> Nowhere else have I felt the support and security to experiment w=
ith my solo pieces. My characters came to life with the suggestions of fello=
w classmates and under Sarah's careful guidance.  This is truly a =E2=
=80=98not to miss' class...I highly recommend it.</DIV>
<DIV>           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;       =E2=80=93 Felicita Sanchez ,actor<=
BR>      <BR>Sarah is an excellent listener, very a=
dept at hearing not only what you say, but <BR>what you WANT to say. She cre=
ates a fertile, stimulating environment. We all felt safe enough to stretch=20=
ourselves. The class was excellent in that it gave me a sense of needing to=20=
be accountable as a writer, not only to myself, but to others as well.</DIV>
<DIV>           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           - Scott Pl=
ate, actor/director<BR>        &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;     <BR>With Sarah Morton's coaching and direction,=20=
I developed, wrote, and performed the stories that resided within me for alm=
ost forty years, awaiting their birth moment.<BR>    &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;    -- Ubu Zurub, writer/performer/comedienne<BR> &=
nbsp;   <BR>About the instructor: <BR>Sarah Morton is a playw=
right, actor, educator, and activist, and a native of Cleveland, Ohio.<BR>Sh=
e recently performed her solo piece,  4 MINUTES TO HAPPY at the New Yor=
k International Fringe Festival and at Cleveland Public Theatre, where it wa=
s nominated for a Northern Ohio Live Theatre Achievement Award and a Clevela=
nd Theater Collective award for Best Actress.  Other  productions=20=
include  THREE WORDS with Great Lakes Theatre Festival (tour),  NI=
GHT BLOOMERS with Emerging Artists Theater in NYC, and COURAGE OF I, a serie=
s of monologues created with the residents of the Elyria YWCA, and produced=20=
by Cleveland Public Theatre.  She has been an artist in residence at Cl=
eveland State University, Cleveland School of the Arts, Shaker Heights High=20=
School, and Hathaway Brown School, and an education staff member at Clevelan=
d Public Theatre, where she taught Writing for Solo Performance for beginnin=
g and advanced students.  For the past six years, she has also been tea=
ching and designing curriculum for The Cleveland Play House's  highly r=
egarded  Young Playwrights Workshop, a program for gifted high school w=
riters.  Her play NIGHT BLOOMERS will receive its world premiere at The=
 Cleveland Play House's new work festival, Fusion Fest, in May of 2006. </DI=

<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> <BR>           =
            &nbs=
p;            &n=