[NEohioPAL]May 23, Rare appearance by Linda Allen

jkmiller jkmiller at igc.org
Sun May 21 22:37:12 PDT 2006

Rare Northeast Ohio Appearance by a Passionate, Committed
Singer-Songwriter

Washington state singer-songwriter Linda Allen makes a stop
in northeast Ohio for an intimate house concert on Tuesday,
May 23, 2006, at 3251 Clarendon Road, Cleveland Heights.
This event is a rare opportunity to see a gifted artist
better known in the Pacific Northwest.

Linda Allen is above all a storyteller, and her subject is
most often a tale of individual courage in the face of
overwhelming force.  She sings of Rachel Corrie stepping in
front of an Israeli bulldozer, and of Helga Estby trekking
across a continent to save her family's farm.  In "Where I
Stand," the title song of her latest CD, a mother explains
to her child why she stands on a street corner with a sign
in the months leading up to war.  Her gift for imagery is
evident in two laments, "God of All Beyond the Sea," about
the 2004 tsunami, and "Ashes and Smoke," written after the
attacks on September 11, 2001.  Linda turns an amused gaze
on family life in "Wake Up Song," written for her son, and
"Mama Cleans Out Her Purse."  She honors the everyday
comforts of long-term commitment in "Old Love."

An evening with Linda Allen will take you from laughter to
tears and back again, and send you home filled with hope.
Here's what some knowledgeable folks have to say about her
work:

"Linda hears a story, reads a headline, observes a
confrontation, senses a broken heart and then turns it into
song. When we hear it back, we are invited to stay human."
-- Holly Near

"A true and delightful artist who poetically tells it all."
-- Studs Terkel

"[Where I Stand] is a wonderful recording of honesty and
mission wrapped in poetry."
-- Rich Warren, Sing Out! Magazine

There's still plenty of room.  Admission is $10. To make
reservations or find out more, call 216-321-9983, or email
jkmiller at igc.org.

For more information about Linda visit www.lindasongs.com.

-- Deborah Van Kleef