[NEohioPAL]M. Mothersbaugh's "Postcard Diaries" coming to N. Water St Gallery

Standing Rock Cultural Arts info at standingrock.net
Mon May 22 05:58:02 PDT 2006

--MS_Mac_OE_3231133082_215414_MIME_Part

Greetings,

We are very pleased to announce the return of art work by Mark Mothersbaugh
to The North Water Street Gallery.

WHO:  Standing Rock Cultural Arts is honored to present

WHAT:  =B3Postcard Diaries=B2 Mark Mothersbaugh Art Exhibition
-Mark Mothersbaugh is a founding member of DEVO
-Limited edition Prints
-The Postcard Diaries are one of two traveling exhibitions that have been
touring since 2003.  The other is =B3Beautiful Mutants=B2 which we presented
last year.

WHEN:  August 18 to September 10, 2006
-Opening Reception:  Friday, August 18, 8pm
-in conjunction with the annual DEVOTIONAL at the Lime Spider in Akron whic=
occurs Saturday, August 19th.

WHERE:  North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent, OH

GALLERY HOURS:  Thursday-Saturday, 1-5pm.  Or by appointment @ 330-673-4970=
.

CONTACT: 330-673-4970

www.standingrock.net for updates

Thank you for supporting the Arts,

Standing Rock Cultural Arts
257 N. Water St.
Kent, OH 44240
330-673-4970  info at standingrock.net

Postcard Diaries Touring Exhibition

During his downtime on early worldwide tours with DEVO, Mark Mothersbaugh
began illustrating on postcards to send to his friends, which he still
creates, and has been creating every day for over 30 years. It's an
obsessive habit/hobby which still yields anywhere from one to a couple doze=
new postcard-sized images per day.

The cards were originally created as his personal diaries, and were never
intended for public viewing. That all changed when Mark decided to share hi=
postcard works in his critically acclaimed solo shows during the 1980's &
1990's, and again with his worldwide 2003 Homefront Invasion! gallery tour.

Mark has archived nearly all the original postcard-sized works, filed neatl=
in spiral-bound folders at his home in Hollywood, CA. It is an astonishingl=
obsessive collection of private thoughts featuring Mark=B9s plethora of
provoking & unusual imagery.

The 2006 Gallery Tour features high-resolution, limited edition digital
prints of Mark's works. Each original postcard diary sketch is scanned and
altered especially for the tour, often with the addition of text, digital
effects, photos, etc. Each customized image is printed on quality archival
Lysonic paper in a very limited edition (usually editions of 3-20, each
embossed and signed by the artist). Mark archives one of each print edition
for his own archives, which further limits distribution of each postcard
diary print.

Mark explains, =B2Usually, the only way someone can
get an original sketch is if I give it to them myself. I=B9ve sent a few in
the mail, and handed others out to friends and family. I=B9ve probably got
around 30,000 of them filed away now=8A.and I keep making more every day. The
limited edition prints are my way of sharing these images with other people
around the world.=B2

Mark Mothersbaugh short bio:

Mark's love of art started early in his childhood, just after it was
discovered that he was extremely nearsighted and legally blind.

His first correctional glasses offered Mark a new view of the world,
inspiring his obsession with imagery and illustrations. His first works,
which he began creating in the late 1960's and into the 70's, consisted of
many different mediums, including rubber stamp designs, ink illustrations,
screen printing, decals, and mail art. He participated in local showings,
and received recognition for his work in his hometown of Akron, Ohio.

Mark has exhibited extensively throughout the country and throughout the
world and has been featured in many art publications including Juxtapoz,
Wired, and Raw magazine.

--MS_Mac_OE_3231133082_215414_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>M. Mothersbaugh's "Postcard Diaries" coming to N. Water St=
 Gallery</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<B>Greetings,<BR>
<BR>
We are very pleased to announce the return of art work by Mark Mothersbaugh=
 to The North Water Street Gallery. <BR>
<BR>
</B><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><H3>WHO:  Standing Rock Cultural Arts is ho=
nored to present<BR>
<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>WHAT:  <U>=B3Postcard Diaries=B2</U> Mark Mothersba=
ugh Art Exhibition<BR>
-Mark Mothersbaugh is a founding member of DEVO<BR>
</B></FONT><H3>-Limited edition Prints<BR>
-The Postcard Diaries are one of two traveling exhibitions that have been t=
ouring since 2003.  The other is =B3Beautiful Mutants=B2 which we presented=
 last year.<BR>
<BR>
WHEN:  August 18 to September 10, 2006<BR>
</H3><H2>-Opening Reception:  Friday, August 18, 8pm<BR>
</H2><H3>-in conjunction with the annual DEVOTIONAL at the Lime Spider in A=
kron which occurs Saturday, August 19th.<BR>
<BR>
WHERE:  North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent, OH<BR>
<BR>
GALLERY HOURS:  Thursday-Saturday, 1-5pm.  Or by appointment @ 33=
0-673-4970.<BR>
<BR>
CONTACT: 330-673-4970  <BR>
<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>www.standingrock.net for updates<BR>
</B></FONT><H3><BR>
Thank you for supporting the Arts,<BR>
<BR>
Standing Rock Cultural Arts<BR>
257 N. Water St.<BR>
Kent, OH 44240<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>330-673-4970  <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>info at sta=
ndingrock.net<BR>
</U></FONT></B></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U><H3><BR>
</H3></U></FONT><U><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>Postcard Diaries</B></FONT></U><FONT S=
IZE=3D"4"><B> Touring Exhibition<BR>
</B></FONT><H3><BR>
</H3></FONT><B>During his downtime on early worldwide tours with DEVO, Mark=
 Mothersbaugh began illustrating on postcards to send to his friends, which =
he still creates, and has been creating every day for over 30 years. It's an=
 obsessive habit/hobby which still yields anywhere from one to a couple doze=
n new postcard-sized images per day.<BR>
<BR>
The cards were originally created as his personal diaries, and were never i=
ntended for public viewing. That all changed when Mark decided to share his =
postcard works</B><FONT COLOR=3D"#336699"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"> </FONT></FONT><B>in =
his critically acclaimed solo shows during the 1980's & 1990's, and agai=
n with his worldwide 2003 Homefront Invasion! gallery tour.<BR>
<BR>
Mark has archived nearly all the original postcard-sized works, filed neatl=
y in spiral-bound folders at his home in Hollywood, CA. It is an astonishing=
ly obsessive collection of private thoughts featuring Mark=B9s plethora of pro=
voking & unusual imagery.<BR>
<BR>
The 2006 Gallery Tour features high-resolution, limited edition digital pri=
nts of Mark's works. Each original postcard diary sketch is scanned and alte=
red especially for the tour, often with the addition of text, digital effect=
s, photos, etc. Each customized image is printed on quality archival Lysonic=
 paper in a very limited edition (usually editions of 3-20, each embossed an=
d signed by the artist). Mark archives one of each print edition for his own=
 archives, which further limits distribution of each postcard diary print.<B=

<BR>
Mark explains, =B2Usually, the only way someone can<BR>
get an original sketch is if I give it to them myself. I=B9ve sent a few in t=
he mail, and handed others out to friends and family. I=B9ve probably got arou=
nd 30,000 of them filed away now=8A.and I keep making more every day. The limi=
ted edition prints are my way of sharing these images with other people arou=
nd the world.=B2<BR>
<BR>
<U>Mark Mothersbaugh short bio:<BR>
</U></B><U><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><H3><BR>
</H3></FONT></FONT></U><B>Mark's love of art started early in his childhood=
, just after it was discovered that he was extremely nearsighted and legally=
 blind.<BR>
<BR>
His first correctional glasses offered Mark a new view of the world, inspir=
ing his obsession with imagery and illustrations. His first works, which he =
began creating in the late 1960's and into the 70's, consisted of many diffe=
rent mediums, including rubber stamp designs, ink illustrations, screen prin=
ting, decals, and mail art. He participated in local showings, and received =
recognition for his work in his hometown of Akron, Ohio.<BR>
<BR>
Mark has exhibited extensively throughout the country and throughout the wo=
rld and has been featured in many art publications including Juxtapoz, Wired=
, and Raw magazine.<BR>
</B><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><H3><BR>
</H3><B><BR>
</B><H3><BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><H3><U><BR>
</U></H3></FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3231133082_215414_MIME_Part--