[NEohioPAL]Born Yesterday Review!

Deanna Caudill caudill at masterconsulting.com
Fri Jun 16 05:13:37 PDT 2006

'Born Yesterday' boasts great performances
Star Beacon

By ROGER SMITH

MADISON - - Sometimes, life gets in the way and we do not always have time
to do everything we need to do.

Such was the case when I missed the opening weekend of "Born Yesterday" at
Rabbit Run Theater. I almost didn't go the second weekend, thinking that it
was too late for a review. My better self prevailed and I called for
tickets. Boy, am I glad I did!

The play takes place in a posh 1950s Washington D.C. hotel room, rented by a
not-so-do-gooder Harry Brock for him and his 'Bimbo,' Billie Dawn. From the
moment the show began I was not aware that I was sitting in a theater
watching actors on stage, but in my mind's eye I was a fly on the wall of
that $235 a day hotel room observing the comings and goings of several
characters.

In the role of Harry Brock, Bob Kilpatrick gave a perfect performance of the
self-made racketeer from New Jersey: the accent was convincing and the body
language assured me that Kilpatrick has mob ties somewhere! Kellie McIvor
just as expertly portrayed Billie Dawn. She had the look, the walk and the
talk - - and sometimes the glaze in her eyes that made me wonder where she
was.

John Busser as Paul Verrall, reporter and teacher, kept in step with the
fast pace of the action, never missing a beat while delivering a performance
on a par with Kilpatrick and McIvor. Don Knepper as Ed Devery, the attorney
stuffed neatly into the pocket of Harry Brock, came across as being
knowledgeable of the loopholes of the law but aware of a little voice
reminding him of ethics.

I was impressed with John Crowley, a recent high school graduate as he put
his mark on the role of Eddie Brock, stooge for Harry Brock. Everyone in the
cast did an outstanding job of entertaining the audience, which is why I
always felt I was in that hotel room.

Director Janet Shank certainly put together a nice cast for this production.

However, the world's best cast needs good direction. Luckily for Rabbit Run
patrons, this cast received excellent direction; anything Shank puts her
name on is professional.

Not only does the quality of shows at Rabbit Run continue to improve under
the general managership of Brint Learned, but when you are there take a look
at the well manicured grounds and the new seats in the theater. It all just
gets better and better.

"Born Yesterday" continues tonight and Saturday night at the barn theater on
Chapel Road in Madison. Curtain time is 8. Tickets may be reserved by
phoning the box office at 440-428-7092.