[NEohioPAL]Akron Beacon Journal article concerning BNC and Weathervane

AKRfenish at aol.com AKRfenish at aol.com
Sat Jul 22 06:13:57 PDT 2006

--part1_489.5f918e00.31f37e95_boundary

As a concerned theater artist, and patron of both theaters, I thought this
was imporant for our community to be aware.  As Wendy Wasserstein once wrote, "I
thought we were all on the same team here."

Respectfully,

Alicia

Weathervane fires education director

Conflict in work with other troupe denied

Kerry Clawson  Beacon Journal

Sean McConaha was fired last week as director of education at Weathervane
Community Playhouse, replaced by interim education director Melanie Pepe.

McConaha's former boss, executive director Elynmarie Kazle, declined to
comment on the reason.

``Other than the press release announcing Melanie Pepe assuming the position,
I can't comment because it's a personnel matter,'' Kazle said Monday.

McConaha, who had been full-time education director for more than eight
years, said that Kazle told him July 11 that his work as co-founding artistic
director of the Bang and the Clatter Theatre Company posed a conflict of interest
with his Weathervane position.

``It had become evident that my relationship with the Bang and the Clatter
had superseded my job (at Weathervane),'' said McConaha, paraphrasing a prepared
statement that he said Kazle read to him, but would not allow him to keep.
``But the final straw was when we (Bang and Clatter) received a grant from the
Akron Community Foundation.''

The fledgling Bang and Clatter (it also goes by BNC), which produces edgy
adult contemporary theater in downtown Akron, recently received nonprofit status.
Last month, the nearly year-old theater received its first $7,500 grant from
the Akron Community Foundation to support audience-building, including its
pay-as-you-can admission program for students and senior citizens.

In the same round of grants, Weathervane received $10,000 from the ACF for
the Contemporary Fire program, a collaboration among Weathervane, Cleveland
Contemporary Dance Theater and the Firestone High School dance program.

McConaha said that Kazle initially gave him her blessing to start his own
theater company, on the condition that as a Weathervane employee, he not be
involved with any marketing or grant requests for BNC. McConaha said he has
complied, with Sean Derry, co-artistic director of BNC, handling those efforts for
the new theater.

``I felt like the work I had done had been very good (at Weathervane) and I
have proven I could do both with no problem,'' McConaha said.

He also said he and Derry went out of their way to change BNC show dates so
they wouldn't conflict with Weathervane shows.

``I feel I didn't do anything wrong,'' McConaha said. ``I think that conflict
of interest has to be proven. In their minds, the grants are a conflict of
interest, and I wasn't given the opportunity to prove my point on that or argue
it.''

He said he was proud of the growth he has guided Weathervane's education
department through in the last eight years.

``I believe in the art of what we do and I wish them success,'' he said of
Weathervane.

Kazle would not comment on that growth.

``I can't comment on him (McConaha) right now,'' she said. ``We want to keep
the education program growing and healthy. That's all we can do.''

McConaha's interim replacement, Pepe, has been affiliated with Weathervane's
education program since 1998 and has served as supervisor of the theater's
city-sponsored Neighborhood Playhouse program. She is a Kent State University
graduate with a bachelor of fine arts in theater, with an emphasis on management.

A search will be conducted for a permanent replacement.

McConaha said that he'll now focus his efforts on fundraising for BNC as well
as starting an education program for teens and adults. The company, which
debuted last October at Summit ArtSpace, has not recouped McConaha and Derry's
initial investment.

``Sean (Derry) and I in a year haven't made a dollar. How are we a threat
artistically? How are we a threat financially? We're the little kid on the
block,'' McConaha said.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/entertainment/15080310.htm

--part1_489.5f918e00.31f37e95_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">As a concerned theater artist, and=20=
patron of both theaters, I thought this was imporant for our community to be=
 aware.  As Wendy Wasserstein once wrote, "I thought we were all on the=
 same team here."  <BR>
<BR>
Respectfully,<BR>
<BR>
Alicia<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D6 PTSIZE=3D20 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"=
><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B>Weathervane fires education director<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DLEFT></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BA=
CKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D5 PTSIZE=3D16 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"A=
rial" LANG=3D"0"></B><BR>
<BR>
<B>Conflict in work with other troupe denied<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"=
></B>Kerry Clawson  Beacon Journal<BR>
<BR>
Sean McConaha was fired last week as director of education at Weathervane Co=
mmunity Playhouse, replaced by interim education director Melanie Pepe.<BR>
<BR>
McConaha's former boss, executive director Elynmarie Kazle, declined to comm=
ent on the reason.<BR>
<BR>
``Other than the press release announcing Melanie Pepe assuming the position=
, I can't comment because it's a personnel matter,'' Kazle said Monday.<BR>
<BR>
McConaha, who had been full-time education director for more than eight year=
s, said that Kazle told him July 11 that his work as co-founding artistic di=
rector of the Bang and the Clatter Theatre Company posed a conflict of inter=
est with his Weathervane position.<BR>
<BR>
``It had become evident that my relationship with the Bang and the Clatter h=
ad superseded my job (at Weathervane),'' said McConaha, paraphrasing a prepa=
red statement that he said Kazle read to him, but would not allow him to kee=
p. ``But the final straw was when we (Bang and Clatter) received a grant fro=
m the Akron Community Foundation.''<BR>
<BR>
The fledgling Bang and Clatter (it also goes by BNC), which produces edgy ad=
ult contemporary theater in downtown Akron, recently received nonprofit stat=
us. Last month, the nearly year-old theater received its first $7,500 grant=20=
from the Akron Community Foundation to support audience-building, including=20=
its pay-as-you-can admission program for students and senior citizens.<BR>
<BR>
In the same round of grants, Weathervane received $10,000 from the ACF for t=
he Contemporary Fire program, a collaboration among Weathervane, Cleveland C=
ontemporary Dance Theater and the Firestone High School dance program.<BR>
<BR>
McConaha said that Kazle initially gave him her blessing to start his own th=
eater company, on the condition that as a Weathervane employee, he not be in=
volved with any marketing or grant requests for BNC. McConaha said he has co=
mplied, with Sean Derry, co-artistic director of BNC, handling those efforts=
 for the new theater.<BR>
<BR>
``I felt like the work I had done had been very good (at Weathervane) and I=20=
have proven I could do both with no problem,'' McConaha said.<BR>
<BR>
He also said he and Derry went out of their way to change BNC show dates so=20=
they wouldn't conflict with Weathervane shows.<BR>
<BR>
``I feel I didn't do anything wrong,'' McConaha said. ``I think that conflic=
t of interest has to be proven. In their minds, the grants are a conflict of=
 interest, and I wasn't given the opportunity to prove my point on that or a=
rgue it.''<BR>
<BR>
He said he was proud of the growth he has guided Weathervane's education dep=
artment through in the last eight years.<BR>
<BR>
``I believe in the art of what we do and I wish them success,'' he said of W=
eathervane.<BR>
<BR>
Kazle would not comment on that growth.<BR>
<BR>
``I can't comment on him (McConaha) right now,'' she said. ``We want to keep=
 the education program growing and healthy. That's all we can do.''<BR>
<BR>
McConaha's interim replacement, Pepe, has been affiliated with Weathervane's=
 education program since 1998 and has served as supervisor of the theater's=20=
city-sponsored Neighborhood Playhouse program. She is a Kent State Universit=
y graduate with a bachelor of fine arts in theater, with an emphasis on mana=
gement.<BR>
<BR>
A search will be conducted for a permanent replacement.<BR>
<BR>
McConaha said that he'll now focus his efforts on fundraising for BNC as wel=
l as starting an education program for teens and adults. The company, which=20=
debuted last October at Summit ArtSpace, has not recouped McConaha and Derry=
's initial investment.<BR>
<BR>
``Sean (Derry) and I in a year haven't made a dollar. How are we a threat ar=
tistically? How are we a threat financially? We're the little kid on the blo=
ck,'' McConaha said.<BR>
<BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/entertainment/15080310.htm">http://w=
ww.ohio.com/mld/ohio/entertainment/15080310.htm</A><BR>
</P></P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_489.5f918e00.31f37e95_boundary--