[NEohioPAL]Berko review: Verb Ballets

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 22 10:13:45 PDT 2006

Verb Ballets presents another sold-out concert

No, it wasn’t a rock group or a nationally known
entertainer at Cain Park.  It was Verb Ballets
presenting a dance concert.  As has become the pattern
at the company’s presentations, it was sold out.

Featuring the well-conceived choreography of Hernando
Cortez, and the well disciplined dancing of his
company, Verb has established itself as the “in” large
dance company of Cleveland.

The Cain Park program, which had no overall title, was
composed of four selections.  The evening opened with
‘PRELUDE AND SIX EASY PIECES’ danced to the music of
Jonathan Sheffer as recorded by pianist Michael
Schneider.  A quiet and lovely piece, the modern moves
to the classical sounds was more soothing than
compelling.  The highlight segment was the “Prelude”
duet by blonde and statuesque DeAnn Petruschke and
powerful Mark Tomasic.  “Prelude after Chopin”
received a lovely interpretation by Catherine Meredith
and Anna Roberts.

“SPEED (The Icarus Project)” is a delightful crowd
pleaser based on the ‘SPEED RACER’ kid’s television
show.  It features Tomasic as Speed/Icarus and
Danielle Brickman, Catherine Meredith and Anna Roberts
as Wings/Trixie.    The audience thoroughly enjoyed
the piece.

‘BOLERO,” danced to the music of Ravel, and
choreographed by the late Heinz Poll was created in
1996.  The version presented was restaged by Amy
Miller of the Groundworks company.  The precise
movements, done with closed eyes, found the performers
dancing basically in place as their bodies moved to
the sensual music.  It was a brilliant presentation
whose conclusion was met with a screaming response
from the audience.

The first time I viewed ‘TWO HOURS THAT SHOOK THE
WORLD,’ Cortez’s tribute to 9/11, I thought it failed
to fully get the desired impact.  Again, this time
around, I found my mind wandering as the piece failed
to command my full attention.  My views appeared not
to be personal as the audience’s response was polite
applause.

In spite of its reputation, Verb Ballets may be at a
crossroad.  Their female company is excellent, but,
their male corps is lacking.   Except for Mark
Tomasic, who it is rumored may soon be retiring, the
company has no strong male dancers.   Jason Ignacio is
a good dancer, but because of his short stature, he is
limited in the roles he can undertake.   In the recent
program, Christopher Morgan was brought in.  Morgan
does not fit well with the company’s style.  He lacks
the power and precision for Cortez’s choreography.  It
can only be hoped that Cortez will seek out some
excellent male dancers.   With the apparent demise of
Ohio Ballet, there may be some of their corps, in
particular the excellent Brian Murphy, who could fill
the void.

Verb Ballets will appear on September 15 and 16 at the
Cleveland Museum of Natural History.  For tickets call
216-231-1177.  They will also be presenting, ‘SWING
PARTY USA,’ a benefit at the Hollywood Canteen in the
Galleria at Erieview.  For information call
216-397-3757.