[NEohioPAL]Public funding for the Arts?

Ensemble Theatre ensemble-theatre at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 11 20:31:51 PDT 2006

--0-1120372353-1155353511=:54703

Hello Tom,

I am wholly in agreement with you in your stance
against the cigarette tax. But the truth of the
matter is this: when the County Commissioners
went to Columbus to request the taxing
authority(ALL taxing authority comes from the
state legislature in Columbus) they were given
two options - either tax cigarettes or FORGET the
arts levy. There was no other choice.

If you have a beef, take it up with the
Republicans who control the House and Senate in
Columbus. Don't forget that the same tax was
levied, along with an added alcohol tax, to built
the stadium for the Indians.

It is unjust, unfair, to tax smokers, when most
of the richer citizens of this state do NOT
smoke, and they are the ones who have the
disposable income to support the arts. Don't
forget that smoking, and drinking, are LEISURE
activities- you can't tax food(NOT a leisure
activity) or raise property taxes any higher than
they already are. A TAX ON BREAD??!! Are you for
real??

What do you suggest? You are damn right, it is a
disgrace.
But if you are a supporter of the arts, what,
might I ask, do you
suggest, for a city the size of Cleveland, and a
county the size of Cuyahoga, to raise public
funding for arts and culture?

Most US counties containing populations of more
thatn two million people have public arts
fundings. Check it out.
Or call your state representative or senator and
find out what
screwballs in Columbus cooked this up anyway.

By the way, IF Thomas Jefferson really said that
democracy is
MOB rule, then either you misread the quote, or
all the historians got it all wrong. .for over
two centuries!!!

Martin Cosentino
Special Projects Associate
Ensemble Theatre of Cleveland

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=jessicavioletta%40gmail.com

>   Please  call our office :  (216) 479-0555 and
> ask for Erin
>
>   or contact Jessica Colombi:
> jessicavioletta at gmail.com or call 216 402 7990
>
>   or
>
>   Julian Rogers: julian_rogers at hotmail.com or
> call 216 973 3966
>

>   to sign up to help at ANY of these events
> this weekend!

=== message truncated ===

--0-1120372353-1155353511=:54703--