[NEohioPAL]What If There Were No Arts?

Anastasjoy at aol.com Anastasjoy at aol.com
Sat Aug 12 06:24:45 PDT 2006

In a message dated 8/12/06 8:20:51 AM, Martingaydos at earthlink.net writes:

<< I was a smoker for 25 years. I have not smoked for over 4 years. I am

against this pickpocketing by the government. If you want to make it

fair, tax toilet paper or bread. Everyone uses them. Some day everyone

will stop smoking, then where will the money come from?=20

The worst part about this tax, is that most "Community Theatres" won't

see a dime of it. It will go to the Playhouse , Playhouse square, Beck,

ect ect.  >>

First of all, it's not a given that the money will only go to large=20
institutions. That's an easy way to oppose something out of the box without=20=
giving it=20
much thought.

Second, I'm conflicted about this too but as someone else pointed out, the=20
commissioners' hands were tied. Anti-tax talk is rife and it's election year=
.=20
Everyone hates taxes, although people don't hate the services taxes provide.=
 I=20
think if we had a more robust economy =E2=80=94 and less cheap talk from pol=
iticians=20
who love to project the idea that you can have something for nothing =E2=80=
=94 there'd=20
be much less opposition. The arts would help make this an attractive,=20
flourishing area but the question is, do we think we can afford them? Many a=
re=20
deciding, as failed levies are showing, they don't think they can afford sch=
ools =E2=80=94 and=20
no, I don't buy the spin that people think the schools have "enough" money o=
r=20
that they are "wasting" it or that education isn't that important. I think=20
people are just saying "We can't afford this."

Sadly, bait-and-switch politicians, such as the one currently campaigning=20
primarily on cutting taxes, while his own office has raised fees =E2=80=94 a=
 tax by=20
another name =E2=80=94 almost 75% since he's been in office, are constantly=20=
demagoguing=20
people into thinking there's a way to have your cake and eat it too. Hey, ju=
st=20
sell the turnpike to China- that'll give you cash for a year or two. Too bad=
=20
about the 99-year lease!

I don't love a cigarette tax but the idea of taxing essentials is horrifying=
=20
(why food isn't taxed, presumably) since it punishes low-income people=20
overwhelmingly for something they can't stop buying.=20

Also, to the person who said we "prove" we're "ready willing and able" to pa=
y=20
the price of gas - not so. I have cut my driving in half =E2=80=94  most eve=
ryone I=20
know has cut back =E2=80=94 and almost never go to an event on the other sid=
e of town=20
anymore. I guarantee you that if Beck moves to Crocker Park, I as an East Si=
der=20
will never darken its door again =E2=80=94 because of the price of gas.