[NEohioPAL]DIARY OF ANNE FRANK at Firestone Theatre

Maz848 at aol.com Maz848 at aol.com
Thu Oct 5 05:17:18 PDT 2006

--part1_bd5.5d488b8.325651ce_boundary

History comes to spell-binding life with the Firestone Theatre production of=
=20
The Diary of Anne Frank. The award-winning play is by Frances Goodrich and=20
Albert Hackett and has been newly adapted by Wendy Kesselman. The Diary of A=
nne=20
Frank will be presented in the Firestone High School auditorium at 7:30 p.m.=
 on=20
Thursday, October 5, Friday, October 6, and Saturday, October 7, 2006. All=20
tickets are general admission and will be available pre-sale for $5.00 and a=
t=20
the door for $7.00.  Pre-sale tickets will be available in the school common=
s=20
from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.=20

The Diary of Anne Frank is based on the actual diary of a young German girl=20
hiding from the Nazis with her family in a small Amsterdam apartment, the pl=
ay=20
has become one of the most produced and best loved plays in the American=20
canon. It is a powerfully moving - and surprisingly amusing - piece of theat=
re as=20
well as a historical drama. The Diary of Anne Frank  ultimately is an uplift=
ing=20
testament to the spirit, emotional maturity  and resourcefulness of a young=20
girl living under increasingly  oppressive circumstances.=20

"The play has given me new insight into the plight of people like Anne=20
Frank," says junior Rivka Friedlander. "Working on the play has brought abou=
t a=20
small understanding of what the Holocaust might have been like."

This new adaptation by Wendy Kesselman, originally produced on Broadway in=20
1999,  incorporates newly discovered writings from the diary as well as surv=
ivor=20
accounts into a beautiful,  contemporary, and impassioned story of fear,=20
hope, laughter, and grief. In The Diary of Anne Frank, the title character e=
merges=20
from history a living, lyrical, intensely gifted young girl, who confronts=20
her rapidly changing life and increasing horror of her time with astonishing=
=20
honesty, wit, and determination.=20
"It is especially meaningful," Friedlander says, "because it is not just a=20
story we are telling; someone actually lived this life. I feel more connecte=
d to=20
it because I know it actually happened to someone like me."

Senior Mary Siegel finds the play especially moving. "I think about Anne=20
Frank every day," she says. "It makes me wonder how people's lives would hav=
e been=20
different if all this had never happened." Siegel plays Anne's older sister=20
Margot whom she characterizes as "especially sensitive."  Siegel says that=20
Margot doesn't instigate anything but she "ends up being most affected by wh=
at is=20
said and done."

The diary's most famous line might be "I hope to go on living even after my=20
death." This incredibly insightful entry serves as perhaps the emotional hig=
h=20
point of the play.
Friedlander says that Anne Frank was an extraordinary person.  "She predicte=
d=20
her own destiny, she says. "She never knew it but she does live on through=20
people like me. =20

The actress says that the play has allowed her to identify more closely with=
=20
the Holocaust victim. "I am a lot like Anne," Friedlander says.  "Her though=
t=20
processes are very similar to what I had felt or understood when I was her=20
age."

Firestone Theatre's production of The Diary of Anne Frank  features an=20
exciting and experienced cast of student actors and designers. Friedlander i=
s joined=20
by seniors Jason Davis (Peter van Daan), Nicole Lord (Mrs. van Daan), Mary=20
Siegel (Margot Frank), Marisa Wintrow (Miep Gies), and Chelsea Soenfelt (sta=
ge=20
manager). The cast is completed by juniors Vance Johnson (Mr. Dussel), Rober=
t=20
Keith (Otto Frank), Travis Lee (First Man), Caitlin Noah (Second Man), Zoe=20
Speas (Edith Frank); sophomores Brian Jackson (Mr. Van Daan), Andrew White (=
Mr.=20
Kraler) and Laura Cordle (assistant stage manager). The play is under the=20
direction of Mark A. Zimmerman with the assistance of FHS senior Jessi Hale.=
 Junior=20
Leah Magnus serves as the props designer and junior Becca Salchak as the=20
lighting designer.

Laura Belle Cordle (assistant stage manager) is a sophomore VPA Theatre=20
student. She appeared in last year's production of "The Wildflowering of Cha=
stity"=20
as part of our annual One-Act Play Festival. Laura has appeared in Weatherva=
ne=20
productions of The Crucible, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,=20
and Antigone as well as the recent production of Once Upon a Mattress at the=
=20
Western Reserve Playhouse.

Jason Davis (Peter van Daan) is a senior VPA Theatre student appearing in hi=
s=20
fourth Firestone Theatre production. He has also appeared onstage at=20
Weathervane Playhouse and recently appeared in The Reports of my Death are G=
reatly=20
Exaggerated with the Largely Literary Theatre Company.

Rivka W. Friedlander (Anne Frank) is a junior VPA Theatre student making her=
=20
fifth appearance on the FHS stage. She previously appeared in Firestone=20
Theatre productions of Into the Woods, Twelfth Night, and several editions o=
f our=20
One-Act Play Festival. Rivka appeared in last year's All-Ohio Thespian=20
Production of Violet.

Jessica Hale (student director) is a senior VPA Theatre student. She has=20
previously appeared onstage in our productions of Twelfth Night and I Hate H=
amlet=20
and has played various onstage and backstage roles at Weathervane Playhouse.=
=20
Jessica most recently appeared as the Jester in the Western Reserve Playhous=
e=20
production of Once Upon a Mattress.=20

Brian Jackson (Mr. Van Daan) is a sophomore VPA Theatre student appearing in=
=20
his first main stage production.  He worked backstage four our productions o=
f=20
Grease and Twelfth Night and appeared in last year's one-act play called=20
"Arabian Nights." Brian recently appeared as Eddie Pazinski in Over the Tave=
rn at=20
Weathervane Playhouse.=20

Vance C. Johnson (Mr. Dussel) is a junior VPA Music student who is making hi=
s=20
first appearance on our stage.  He has had a love for the arts since a young=
=20
age and hopes to become a successful recording artist in the future.

Robert Keith (Mr. Otto Frank) is a junior VPA Theatre student appearing in=20
his fifth Firestone Theatre production. He has appeared onstage and off in=20
productions at Weathervane Playhouse and magical Theatre Company. Robert enj=
oys=20
playing guitar in his spare time.

Nicole Lord (Mrs. van Daan) is a senior VPA Theatre student who has=20
previously appeared in our productions of Twelfth Night and Dear Gabby. She=20=
has served=20
in backstage roles for numerous productions. Nicole is on the FHS Swim Team=20
and enjoys spending her free time with friends and family.

Caitlin Noah (second man) is a junior VPA Theatre student. She recently=20
appeared in an independent film called "Hero Tomorrow" and is now working on=
=20
another film called "Greater Threat." Caitlin attended film camp in Los Ange=
les and=20
at the College of Wooster. She has appeared in numerous school plays and at=20
the Galaxy Players.

Chelsea E. Shoenfelt (stage manager) is a senior VPA Theatre student who=20
stage manages for the very first time. She has worked backstage numerous tim=
es=20
including as props designer for Twelfth Night and assistant stage manager fo=
r for=20
colored girls . . . / when the rainbow is enuf. Chelsea has worked with the=20
Ing=E9nue Theatre Ensemble and Weathervane Playhouse. She is a member of the=
 FHS=20
Swim Team.

Mary Siegel (Margot Frank) is a senior VPA Theatre student appearing in her=20
first Main Stage production. She has served on several props crews and as st=
age=20
manager for Schoolhouse Rock Live, Jr. Mary has also served on props crews a=
t=20
community theatres throughout Northeast Ohio. She hopes to pursue a career a=
s=20
a playwright.

Zo=EB Speas (Mrs. Edith Frank) is a junior member of the International=20
Baccalaureate program. She appears in her fourth FHS production having previ=
ously=20
appeared in Grease, Twelfth Night, and the One-Act Play Festival. Zo=EB is a=
 member=20
of the FHS Swim Team and the summer YMCA Swim Team in Virginia.

Andrew White (Mr. Kraler) is a sophomore VPA Theatre student appearing in hi=
s=20
second  Main Stage production. He recently appeared in the Western Reserve=20
Playhouse production of Once Upon a Mattress.

Marisa Wintrow (Miep Gies) is a senior VPA Theatre student appearing in her=20
second Main Stage production. She was recently seen in the Western Reserve=20
Playhouse production of Once Upon a Mattress and was seen in last year's FHS=
=20
productions of Grease and Schoolhouse Rock Live, Jr. She studies dance and m=
artial=20
arts outside of school.

Firestone Theatre is the play-producing component of the high school visual=20
and performing arts program for the Akron Public Schools. The magnet arts=20
theatre program, which is housed at Firestone High School, is open via audit=
ion and=20
open enrollment to any incoming ninth grade student.  The International=20
Network of Visual and Performing Arts Schools designated Firestone High Scho=
ol in=20
2001 as a "Star School."

Mark A. Zimmerman,
Theatre Director
Firestone High School
330.873.3408
www.FirestoneTheatre.com

--part1_bd5.5d488b8.325651ce_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">History comes to spell-binding life=
 with the Firestone Theatre production of The Diary of Anne Frank. The award=
-winning play is by Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett and has been newly a=
dapted by Wendy Kesselman. The Diary of Anne Frank will be presented in the=20=
Firestone High School auditorium at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 5, Friday=
, October 6, and Saturday, October 7, 2006. All tickets are general admissio=
n and will be available pre-sale for $5.00 and at the door for $7.00. =20=
Pre-sale tickets will be available in the school commons from 11:00 a.m. to=20=
1:00 p.m. <BR>
<BR>
The Diary of Anne Frank is based on the actual diary of a young German girl=20=
hiding from the Nazis with her family in a small Amsterdam apartment, the pl=
ay has become one of the most produced and best loved plays in the American=20=
canon. It is a powerfully moving - and surprisingly amusing - piece of theat=
re as well as a historical drama. The Diary of Anne Frank  ultimately i=
s an uplifting testament to the spirit, emotional maturity  and resourc=
efulness of a young girl living under increasingly  oppressive circumst=
ances. <BR>
<BR>
"The play has given me new insight into the plight of people like Anne Frank=
," says junior Rivka Friedlander. "Working on the play has brought about a s=
mall understanding of what the Holocaust might have been like."<BR>
<BR>
This new adaptation by Wendy Kesselman, originally produced on Broadway in 1=
999,  incorporates newly discovered writings from the diary as well as=20=
survivor accounts into a beautiful,  contemporary, and impassioned stor=
y of fear, hope, laughter, and grief. In The Diary of Anne Frank, the title=20=
character emerges from history a living, lyrical, intensely gifted young gir=
l, who confronts her rapidly changing life and increasing horror of her time=
 with astonishing honesty, wit, and determination. <BR>
"It is especially meaningful," Friedlander says, "because it is not just a s=
tory we are telling; someone actually lived this life. I feel more connected=
 to it because I know it actually happened to someone like me."<BR>
<BR>
Senior Mary Siegel finds the play especially moving. "I think about Anne Fra=
nk every day," she says. "It makes me wonder how people's lives would have b=
een different if all this had never happened." Siegel plays Anne's older sis=
ter Margot whom she characterizes as "especially sensitive."  Siegel sa=
ys that Margot doesn't instigate anything but she "ends up being most affect=
ed by what is said and done."<BR>
<BR>
The diary's most famous line might be "I hope to go on living even after my=20=
death." This incredibly insightful entry serves as perhaps the emotional hig=
h point of the play.<BR>
Friedlander says that Anne Frank was an extraordinary person.  "She pre=
dicted her own destiny, she says. "She never knew it but she does live on th=
rough people like me.  <BR>
<BR>
The actress says that the play has allowed her to identify more closely with=
 the Holocaust victim. "I am a lot like Anne," Friedlander says.  "Her=20=
thought processes are very similar to what I had felt or understood when I w=
as her age."<BR>
<BR>
Firestone Theatre's production of The Diary of Anne Frank  features an=20=
exciting and experienced cast of student actors and designers. Friedlander i=
s joined by seniors Jason Davis (Peter van Daan), Nicole Lord (Mrs. van Daan=
), Mary Siegel (Margot Frank), Marisa Wintrow (Miep Gies), and Chelsea Soenf=
elt (stage manager). The cast is completed by juniors Vance Johnson (Mr. Dus=
sel), Robert Keith (Otto Frank), Travis Lee (First Man), Caitlin Noah (Secon=
d Man), Zoe Speas (Edith Frank); sophomores Brian Jackson (Mr. Van Daan), An=
drew White (Mr. Kraler) and Laura Cordle (assistant stage manager). The play=
 is under the direction of Mark A. Zimmerman with the assistance of FHS seni=
or Jessi Hale. Junior Leah Magnus serves as the props designer and junior Be=
cca Salchak as the lighting designer.<BR>
<BR>
Laura Belle Cordle (assistant stage manager) is a sophomore VPA Theatre stud=
ent. She appeared in last year's production of "The Wildflowering of Chastit=
y" as part of our annual One-Act Play Festival. Laura has appeared in Weathe=
rvane productions of The Crucible, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamc=
oat, and Antigone as well as the recent production of Once Upon a Mattress a=
t the Western Reserve Playhouse.<BR>
<BR>
Jason Davis (Peter van Daan) is a senior VPA Theatre student appearing in hi=
s fourth Firestone Theatre production. He has also appeared onstage at Weath=
ervane Playhouse and recently appeared in The Reports of my Death are Greatl=
y Exaggerated with the Largely Literary Theatre Company.<BR>
<BR>
Rivka W. Friedlander (Anne Frank) is a junior VPA Theatre student making her=
 fifth appearance on the FHS stage. She previously appeared in Firestone The=
atre productions of Into the Woods, Twelfth Night, and several editions of o=
ur One-Act Play Festival. Rivka appeared in last year's All-Ohio Thespian Pr=
oduction of Violet.<BR>
<BR>
Jessica Hale (student director) is a senior VPA Theatre student. She has pre=
viously appeared onstage in our productions of Twelfth Night and I Hate Haml=
et and has played various onstage and backstage roles at Weathervane Playhou=
se. Jessica most recently appeared as the Jester in the Western Reserve Play=
house production of Once Upon a Mattress. <BR>
<BR>
Brian Jackson (Mr. Van Daan) is a sophomore VPA Theatre student appearing in=
 his first main stage production.  He worked backstage four our product=
ions of Grease and Twelfth Night and appeared in last year's one-act play ca=
lled "Arabian Nights." Brian recently appeared as Eddie Pazinski in Over the=
 Tavern at Weathervane Playhouse. <BR>
<BR>
Vance C. Johnson (Mr. Dussel) is a junior VPA Music student who is making hi=
s first appearance on our stage.  He has had a love for the arts since=20=
a young age and hopes to become a successful recording artist in the future.=
<BR>
<BR>
Robert Keith (Mr. Otto Frank) is a junior VPA Theatre student appearing in h=
is fifth Firestone Theatre production. He has appeared onstage and off in pr=
oductions at Weathervane Playhouse and magical Theatre Company. Robert enjoy=
s playing guitar in his spare time.<BR>
<BR>
Nicole Lord (Mrs. van Daan) is a senior VPA Theatre student who has previous=
ly appeared in our productions of Twelfth Night and Dear Gabby. She has serv=
ed in backstage roles for numerous productions. Nicole is on the FHS Swim Te=
am and enjoys spending her free time with friends and family.<BR>
<BR>
Caitlin Noah (second man) is a junior VPA Theatre student. She recently appe=
ared in an independent film called "Hero Tomorrow" and is now working on ano=
ther film called "Greater Threat." Caitlin attended film camp in Los Angeles=
 and at the College of Wooster. She has appeared in numerous school plays an=
d at the Galaxy Players.<BR>
<BR>
Chelsea E. Shoenfelt (stage manager) is a senior VPA Theatre student who sta=
ge manages for the very first time. She has worked backstage numerous times=20=
including as props designer for Twelfth Night and assistant stage manager fo=
r for colored girls . . . / when the rainbow is enuf. Chelsea has worked wit=
h the Ing=E9nue Theatre Ensemble and Weathervane Playhouse. She is a member=20=
of the FHS Swim Team.<BR>
<BR>
Mary Siegel (Margot Frank) is a senior VPA Theatre student appearing in her=20=
first Main Stage production. She has served on several props crews and as st=
age manager for Schoolhouse Rock Live, Jr. Mary has also served on props cre=
ws at community theatres throughout Northeast Ohio. She hopes to pursue a ca=
reer as a playwright.<BR>
<BR>
Zo=EB Speas (Mrs. Edith Frank) is a junior member of the International Bacca=
laureate program. She appears in her fourth FHS production having previously=
 appeared in Grease, Twelfth Night, and the One-Act Play Festival. Zo=EB is=20=
a member of the FHS Swim Team and the summer YMCA Swim Team in Virginia.<BR>
<BR>
Andrew White (Mr. Kraler) is a sophomore VPA Theatre student appearing in hi=
s second  Main Stage production. He recently appeared in the Western Re=
serve Playhouse production of Once Upon a Mattress.<BR>
<BR>
Marisa Wintrow (Miep Gies) is a senior VPA Theatre student appearing in her=20=
second Main Stage production. She was recently seen in the Western Reserve P=
layhouse production of Once Upon a Mattress and was seen in last year's FHS=20=
productions of Grease and Schoolhouse Rock Live, Jr. She studies dance and m=
artial arts outside of school.<BR>
<BR>
Firestone Theatre is the play-producing component of the high school visual=20=
and performing arts program for the Akron Public Schools. The magnet arts th=
eatre program, which is housed at Firestone High School, is open via auditio=
n and open enrollment to any incoming ninth grade student.  The Interna=
tional Network of Visual and Performing Arts Schools designated Firestone Hi=
gh School in 2001 as a "Star School."<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Mark A. Zimmerman,<BR>
Theatre Director<BR>