[NEohioPAL]WRITERS! See your work performed!!

John Busser johnbusser at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 10 08:31:08 PST 2006

  Are you a writer? Playwright? Screenwriter? How would you like the
opportunity to see and hear your work performed in an environment of fellow
writers and actors who can bring it to life? If this sounds like something
you would like to participate in, then welcome to the DarkRoom.

  What is the DarkRoom? It's a writers workshop that meets once a month
(always the first Tuesday of the month.) It is sponsored by the Cleveland
Theater Collective. Our current home is the Orthodox church next door to
Cleveland Public Theater. We are presently seeking another space to
accommodate hopefully larger audiences in a setting geared more for
performing your work. At present it is free to audience members and
performers alike. CTC however, asks for any donations you may wish to
provide.

  Here's how DarkRoom works in its present form.

  The DarkRoom accepts submitted scripts (be they monologues, one act plays,
scene work, short stories, sketches or material of a similar vein) on a
current deadline of the 25th of the preceding month (for example, DarkRoom's
upcoming December event will have a script submission cutoff date of
November 25th.) Scripts must be submitted electronically in Word format or
PDF (if done in another format please inform us in your email.) The place to
send the electronic file is:

darkroomplanning at yahoo.com

  If done in this manner, the author can also print out the multiple copies
needed for the reading. We would prefer this method as it is less
problematic and easier to work with than scripts submitted by traditional
mail. We then read the pieces, determine whether the entire piece or an
excerpt will be done - this is usually a time issue depending on the amount
of submitted material we get. Although we have done longer pieces, we are
looking for material lasting anywhere from a minute to 10-15 minutes in
length. If DarkRoom receives more material than can be reasonably expected
to be performed in an evening, we will reschedule the overflow pieces for
the next. The author will be informed ahead of time.

  Once we have received all the works to be performed that month, we can
cast the actors needed (whether from the author's recommendations or our own
whims if the author has no input on the matter,) OR the author can take on
the task of casting the piece should they desire to.  IF possible, we can
try to schedule at least one read through ahead of time although this is
depending on availability of both people and space. If a read through isn't
feasible, meeting before DarkRoom starts works fine for any last minute
adjustments the author may wish to make, this being a reading only, it's not
always necessary to rehearse anything, but this is the author's discretion.

  Sign up for performing starts at 7:15 and the DarkRoom goes up at 8pm. The
first part of the evening is always the reading of the submitted pieces.
Then a 15 minute break happens. At this point, ANYONE bringing a piece in
that day may solicit actors to perform your piece in the second half. It is
a cold reading but still works well given the lack of any earlier rehearsal.
You may invite anyone to either participate or merely be an audience member.
In fact, the larger the audience, the better it is for both the actors to
feed off of and the authors to gauge the reaction your piece gets.

  Authors may submit multiple pieces and we will work with you to cast your
pieces, but keep in mind the above restrictions of time. Remember this is a
workshop designed for you to have your work performed. Pieces submitted do
not have to be finished, nor do they need to be the final version. We are
providing you an opportunity to run your pieces so that they can provide you
with valuable feedback. While we do not have an official feedback session
with the audience, you may wish to solicit responses before, during the
break or after DarkRoom with individual audience members and/or performers.
It's really up to you.

  We hope you are intrigued enough to join us each month in the DarkRoom.

  John Busser/Bob Keefe
  Casting Directors