[NEohioPAL]Making a career out of acting in Ohio

Jack Roberts mbison73 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 20:31:50 PST 2006

--0-648370580-1164256310=:14991

I'm looking for some help or advice or direction or whatever concerning the ability to make a living, or supplement a living, acting here in Ohio and NE Ohio.

  I did quite a bit theatrically in high school, had a lead or co-lead role in three of our four yearly big productions, including Danny in Grease, and just generally love acting and performing.  Come graduation time, when looking at my future, I decided not to pursue acting, primarily because of a stigma that it's not easy to making a living off of, and because I couldn't afford to go to a good acting school.

  Still, five or so odd years later, I really have a desire to perform.  I did only a small bit in college, mostly for a theatre class or two, because I simply didn't have time with everything else I was juggling.  I'm finding more and more though that I really want to get out and do something, but I've been gun-shy, partly because I'm really self-conscious until I've actually secured a part, and partly because I just don't know enough.

  I've been subscribed to NEOhioPal's mailing list for awhile, and have seen a lot that I've been interested in, but have been hesitant to try things.  I'd really just like any kind of info or feedback anyone can give in regards to the acting scene around here.  Is it really that difficult to make a living acting?  Is it the kind of thing that's better suited to do on the side?  How often are casting calls I'd come across from the mailing list paid gigs?  Is it frowned upon to call and find out?  Any kind of information that anyone could help provide me, about anything, really,  would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks.

--0-648370580-1164256310=:14991

<hr size=1>Check out <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43257/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta">the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta</a> - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
--0-648370580-1164256310=:14991--