[NEohioPAL]from Stephanie Re: Pay to Play

Carole Clement clement at ncweb.com
Mon Dec 11 07:43:53 PST 2006

--=====================_842129578==.ALT

Hi Carole,  I also replied to Mark Cipra with the same email

You can post my comment on neopal, that's what I thought I'd done
when I wrote that. I don't want to be a troublemaker, but I've been
to two community theater auditions posted on Neopal and in the fine
print on the audition form is "a such and such fee will be assessed
to all participants"

This past weekend I went to the Mighty Goliath audtion for "Anything
Goes", and in the summer I went to one at the Olmsted Falls Community
Theater and the same thing.  These companies are great and are a REAL
ASSET to us.   Their directors & shows (although I haven't seen one)
have very good reputations! That's why I wanted to be involved, and
why I'm so dissapointed with that practice, they are better than that!

When I said this is a legitimate way of doing business, I mean
anything is a legitimate way of doing business if all participants
are aware of all details.  It's acceptable to charge people a fee for
some supplies or for valuable teaching time if they agree.  I proudly
pay for my college drama education. It's worth every penny, but I'm
fully aware of it.

I'm writing this for those performers who are not bitchy enough (like
me) to say something.  Imagine showing up for the audition, you've
been preparing your monologue/song/reading voice all week.  Your
nervous and just hoping to be accepted and not fall on your face, not
to mention all of the stars in your eyes because you want to be a
STAR!  Then your told, oh by the way, there is a fee,
o.k....   You'll pretty much say anything at this point.  It's
unethical because it hits performers at their most vulnerable
time.  Stealing candy from a baby.

The postings on Neopal run the gammit, as it should be, just let us
know if there is a fee.  Just like "this is a paid position" or
"equity only".  Not all of us know all of these little theater
companies and all of the players.

Stephanie Kirk

Carole Clement <clement at ncweb.com> wrote:
Stephanie---

Yes, please give more details to the list. I don't enter script
competitions that charge a fee & am blown away at the thought of
actors having to pay for their roles.

Thanks for being there,

Carole

Carole Clement Mentor, Ohio USA
http://www.netspace.org/~icwp/cclement.html

--=====================_842129578==.ALT

Hi Carole,  I also replied to Mark Cipra with the same email<br>
You can post my comment on neopal, that's what I thought I'd done when I
wrote that. I don't want to be a troublemaker, but I've been to two
community theater auditions posted on Neopal and in the fine print on the
audition form is "a such and such fee will be assessed to all
participants"  <br>
This past weekend I went to the Mighty Goliath audtion for "Anything
Goes", and in the summer I went to one at the Olmsted Falls
Community Theater and the same thing.  These companies are great and
are a REAL ASSET to us.   Their directors & shows (although
I haven't seen one) have very good reputations! That's why I wanted to be
involved, and why I'm so dissapointed with that practice, they are better
than that!  <br>
When I said this is a legitimate way of doing business, I mean anything
is a legitimate way of doing business if all participants are aware of
all details.  It's acceptable to charge people a fee for some
supplies or for valuable teaching time if they agree.  I proudly pay
for my college drama education. It's worth every penny, but I'm fully
aware of it.  <br>
I'm writing this for those performers who are not bitchy enough (like me)
to say something.  Imagine showing up for the audition, you've been
preparing your monologue/song/reading voice all week.  Your nervous
and just hoping to be accepted and not fall on your face, not to mention
all of the stars in your eyes because you want to be a STAR!  Then
your told, oh by the way, there is a fee, o.k....   You'll
pretty much say anything at this point.  It's unethical because it
hits performers at their most vulnerable time.  Stealing candy from
a baby.<br>
The postings on Neopal run the gammit, as it should be, just let us know
if there is a fee.  Just like "this is a paid position" or
"equity only".  Not all of us know all of these little
theater companies and all of the players.  <br>
Stephanie Kirk<br><br>

<dl>

<dd>Yes, please give more details to the list. I don't enter script <br>

<dd>competitions that charge a fee & am blown away at the thought of

<dd>Carole Clement Mentor, Ohio USA<br>

<dd>
http://www.netspace.org/~icwp/cclement.html<br><br>
</a>