[NEohioPAL]the truth about Might Goliath Productions re: pay to play

Bernadette Hisey bernadettehisey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 20:33:48 PST 2006

Thank you, Fred, for allowing me to clear the name of
MGP.

I would like to defend the honor and integrity of
Mighty Goliath Productions (MGP).  The auditionee who
interpreted this 'fee' as a pay to play should have
asked us what our 'deposit' is for before telling the
NEohioPAL world something that was untrue.

MGP does NOT charge a pay to play fee.  We are ALL
volunteers - from the producer to the pit.  The 'fee'
that is being referred to is not a 'pay to play' fee.
It is a REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT.  Being a volunteer
company, we were having some difficulty getting a few
actors to return their scripts.  Therefore, we had to
pay the rental company for missing scripts.   The
mission of MGP is to donate all profits to the
performing arts groups at Avon Lake High School, not
fund an actor's souveneir collection.  We were giving
part of our donation away to rental companies for
missing scripts and scores.

THEREFORE, when an actor is handed an original script
or score, we ask that in return they give us $25 WHICH
WILL BE RETURNED WHEN THE SCRIPT and/or SCORE IS
RETURNED.  In NO WAY would we expect anyone to pay to
participate.  If they do not return their script/
score, the deposit is then used to cover our costs to
the rental company.

We pride ourselves on letting anyone be a part of the
chorus without auditioning.  We are an open community
theater.  Our leads are the only ones that audition.
Asking the leads or chorus members to pay would
certainly diminish our numbers.

At the first rehearsal - we tell our chorus that we
need their help when it comes to costuming.  Our
budget is small.  We have many other theaters that
help our cause and donate pieces to us, and we have
some in storage, but, for the most part, when you have
chorus of 90, we ask that the chorus help when it
comes to costuming.  There is not an upfront fee for
this.

NO ONE is asked to leave if they cannot come up with a
costume on their own.  We do have a costume committee
with appropriate patterns and sewers.  We actually
have sewing parties whenever many similar costumes
have to be made (i.e. uniforms).  Those who can't sew
- cut.

We also have a pot luck on double run Sunday.  NO ONE
is asked to leave if they do not bring food to share.
It is our way of saving time and money.  The company
doesn't leave the building to go eat and straggle back
in.  We rehearse.  We eat.  We rehearse again.
There is also no upfront fee for this.  How much food
you wish to purchase and prepare is up to you.  As in
any potluck at a church, community functions, etc.

I am sorry if the person who auditioned for us felt
that we had required all participants to pay.  I never
heard of such a thing.  (Except, maybe, in schools
where levies have failed - another reason we must
donate as much as we can to the performing arts.)

The refundable deposit has worked for us.  Every
script and score has been returned since we began this
requirement and every deposit has been returned to
every actor.  Our audition forms state this deposit
upfront so that no person auditioning is not caught
off-guard if cast and given a  script/score with a
deposit slip.

MGP's Mission Statement:  MGP is a musical theatre
company which contributes funds toward the performing
arts programs of the Avon Lake City Schools.  Since
its inception, MGP has donated over $136,000 to the
Avon Lake PTA’s and Performing Arts programs.  Formed
in 1959, the organization continues to be entirely
comprised of volunteers who donate their time and
talent as performing artists, technicians and
administrators.

Thank you.

Bernadette Hisey
Marketing Manager
Historian
Member since 1977
Past Drama Director, Chorus Director, Pit Director,
Choreographer
Past Accompanist
Past Chorus Member
Past Leading Lady
3 generation family member

And proud to be a part of the most unique community
musical theater group I've ever known.

www.mightygoliath.com
www.myspace.com/mightygoliathproductions
2007:  "Anything Goes"