[NEohioPAL]Cool Cleveland review of North Coast Men's Chorus Holiday Show

Robert T rwt44102 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 08:48:53 PST 2006

Here is a review of last weekend's holiday concert - A
Joyful Noise - presented by the North Coast Men's
Chorus.

NCMC's "A Joyful Noise," CSU Waetjen Auditorium, 12/15

The festive decorations in Waetjen Auditorium really
set the scene beautifully for the annual
Christmas/Holiday concerts of the North Coast Men's
Chorus led by their music director Robert Cole. The
chorus expanded this year from two to three such
programs, adding a Friday night performance, which was
quite well attended. As always there was a splendid
assortment of treats presented, including a goodly
portion of gospel selections from a guest gospel choir
and the always welcome Ava Withers.

An a capella version of Merrily Sing Noel! set a high
standard for what was to follow. Robert Day, the
principal accompanist was his usual brilliant self
throughout the evening, beginning with Rise Up
Shepherd And Follow, Mary Had a Baby, and Light the
Legend, in honor of Hanukah. A medley of percussion
instruments joined in for the medley of Born Today is
the Child Divine/On this Joyous Christmas, adding
tambourines, bells and a sort of large bongo to the
piano.

My True Love Gave to Me was a hilarious takeoff -- in
reverse -- of the Twelve Days of Christmas. Well,
after all, we can't all keep every gift we're given,
now, can we? (Of course, it IS fun to try!)

The highlight of the evening for me was next. The
chorus has a new (to them) baritone soloist this
season -- Brandon Bowman, who presented a marvelous
rendition of O Holy Night. It wasn't exactly the
version we're most accustomed to hearing, venturing as
it did toward gospel, but it wasn't full-fledged
gospel, either. It was just awesome! (I do hope they
put it on their next Christmas CD.) In addition to a
warm, resonant baritone voice, Mr. Bowman is possessed
of terrific diction. Every syllable was clear as a
bell. I do believe this was the very best alternative
version of any traditional Christmas song that I have
ever heard! Ever.

Ms. Withers, festive in a black sparkly outfit gave us
Make a Joyful Noise, in her usual forthright manner.
There's no excessive histrionics, just an infectious
enthusiasm paired with a voice of astonishing clarity
and beauty. You can't help but be drawn in to her
musical world.

Not to leave out the usual production numbers, so
marvelously performed by the Chorus, there was a
terrific new look at music from the Nutcracker, in the
mode of jingle bells. Adding white gloves to their
standard tuxedos, the men danced with their hands to
the Sleighride, used mini-flashlites in the Trepak,
pastel colored ruffs of netting around their necks for
Waltz of the Flowers, and then the ruffs were turned
around to adorn their faces for the final selection.
(I was laughing so hard I neglected to write down
which music this was. Mea culpa!)

Utilizing their traditional close harmony, the
Coastliners (9 members this time) gave us Winter
Wonderland of Snow in an extra close harmony a capella
version, then led by a solo from tenor Mark Malloy, a
tribute to Jan of "The Brady Bunch" Middle Child.
Their final appearance was in Run to the Manger.

Ralph DiLudovico was the soloist for the touching
memorial tribute to those members of the chorus who
are no longer with them, There's a Man Goin' Round
(taking names).

Merry Christmas to Me employed the talents of the
dancers of the chorus in a terrific kick-line
(choreographed by Lora Workman) accompanied by the
singers, who at times also performed on kazoos. A
Christmas Love Song was just that, from the chorus to
the audience.

The Gospel Choir, directed by Tommy Miller presented
half a dozen songs. The nine women and three men (plus
one dancer) were sincere and fervent in their
performance. Several of the group also performed as
outstanding soloists: James Walker, Erika Harris,
Alfred Godbott, Shawanna Kennedy and Theresa Dunham.
They came back on-stage for the final presentation,
also joined by Ms. Withers, in a gospel version of The
Hallelujah Chorus.

As always, Doug Braun did his poetic translation of
lyrics and spoken words into American Sign Language.
The technical effects (sound and lighting) by Michael
Rich were awesome.

There really was something for everyone... and nearly
every musical taste in A Joyful Noise, as evidenced by
the two encores: Sing Nowell and Go Tell it on the
Mountain, the latter especially enhanced by the
glorious voice of guest Ava Withers.

The Chorus will host a benefit [Hearts On Fire]on
February 17th at the Cleveland Play House Club, and
their next concerts will be March 24 and 25, at
Waetjen Auditorium. For information about the NCMC or
either of these events, or to purchase tickets, visit
their website at http://www.ncmchorus.org.

artswriter at adelphia.net