[NEohioPAL]My students and I show films and videos at the Kent Stage this Saturday night

viddhartha at aol.com viddhartha at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 09:29:24 PST 2007

Hope you can come. Forward to anyone you think might be interested. Six=20
of my students have pieces in this. I've copied you the press release=20
from the festival. It's this Saturday. Info follows.

Thanks,
Cindy P.

WHO: STANDING ROCK CULTURAL ARTS

WHAT: 4th ANNUAL STANDING ROCK INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM & VIDEO=20
FESTIVAL.
-Short films from as far away as Australia and as near as Kent, Ohio
-Animations, Music Videos, Documentaries, Video Collages
-Featuring Local Filmmaker and Instructor Cindy Penter,in person
-Featuring YouTube Underground Film Fest Winner Ryan Divine of=20
=C2=B3Maldroid=C2=B2
-Featuring Italian Animator Marco Morandi
-Featuring Australian Animator Peter Lowey
-Featuring a Live Film Soundtrack with local tabla phenomenon Joe=20
Culley

WHEN: JANUARY 27th, 2007 8pm at

WHERE: THE KENT STAGE, 175 E. MAIN ST., KENT, OHIO
-http://www.kentstage.org/

COST: $10.00 General Admission/$7.00 Student/Seniors

INFO: 330-673-4970 or write to info at standingrock.net

Updates: www.standingrock.net

This year=C2=B9s festival is full of excitement and surprises as we=20
introduce some fresh talent mixing it up with some seasoned pros. As=20
technology advances, so does the adventurous mind of the video and film=20
makers around the world. From the highways of Akron, to the shores of=20
Australia, and to the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, this is the=20
journey of the independent film maker. Come join us for the ride.

Our featured filmmaker is Cynthia Penter. She is an adjunct faculty=20
member in the Film, Video and Photographic Arts department at The=20
Cleveland Institute of Art and in the School of Communication at=20
Cleveland State University. She received her B.F.A in Studio Art from=20
Kent State University as well as her Masters in Cinematography. She has=20
taught at Kent State University, Cleveland Public Schools, Cleveland=20
Filmmakers and Cleveland Film Society Workshops.

In 1981 Cynthia won first prize for the film =C2=B3Dream Dance=C2=B2 at the=20
Cleveland International Film Festival in the Ohio Filmmakers=20
Competition. Her work has shown in numerous other festivals. She has=20
received several Individual Artist Fellowships from the Ohio Arts=20
Council, a Regional American Film Institute Fellowship and had artist=20
residencies four times at the Experimental Television Center in Upstate=20
New York and three times at Lake Erie College=C2=B9s 48 Hours of Making Art.

Her interests range from dance to documentary to social activism. She=20
works in film, photographic, video, and digital formats. She continues=20
to make personal, experimental work in a variety of media.

Cindy Penter Films For The Standing Rock Film Fest:

Don't Fade Away (Old Hippies Never Die) shortened version, in progress
   Also known as The Farm Film. Portrait of a communal family. The=20
Humping Heifer Farm existed in Ravenna, Ohio almost 30 years ago. We=20
were young, we wanted a different kind of life and we became a family.=20
Combination of live action and still photography. Garden dance. And bad=20
jokes. Music by I'M A TATTOO band, Old Wave music.

Gotta Dance / Moving Movie Montage 15 min.2007
   This a compilation of my work in film, video & digital video that=20
focuses on movement and dance. Cut from 15 pieces made between 1979 and=20
2006.

Quilt Square for Diane shortened version, 2000
   A souvenir portrait of a friend, a tribute to her life. In 1989 Diane=20
died of AIDS. This is not the entire story. With love. Excerpts from my=20
films, Doreeya Luna / Pira Luna (1982) and Images of Women (1985), as=20
well as the dance number from On the Town and the lament from Madame=20
Butterfly. Original music by Julie Akerlund. Additional images by Diane=20
Hunt and Amy Burt. Poems by Diane performed by Alice Cone and Major=20
Ragain.

Trailer from:
The Winds of Minoa: One Small Island 3 min., in progress
   A rhythmical portrait film about, as the title says, one small island=20
in the Aegean sea. It is also a meditation on my own life and the=20
continuation of life on our planet. Music from O Megalos Erotikos, a=20
ballet by Maurice B=C3=A9jart, music by Manou Xatzidaki. Optical printer=20
effects, text, and mixing of music, sound effects and narration.

Other Featured Filmmakers

Ryan Divine: Ryan is a musician as well as an animator and a member of=20
the band Maldroid. Maldroid was formed in Oakland in March 2006 to=20
combat the crap that's taken over the airwaves. As their website=20
states, =C2=B3Maldroid is as DIY as it gets. We write, record and produce=20
all of their own records, and we write, direct and animate our own=20
music videos. We believe technology creates these opportunities... but=20
will ultimately destroy us. . The Future is NOW. The Future is=20
Maldroid. The Revolution has begun. Don't let it catch you with your=20
pants down. More info can be found at:
www.maldroid.com

Marco Morandi: Mr. Morandi got his degree at the University of Cinema=20
in Italy. He works with digital animation, 2D and 3D characters. He=20
also works with live shots and super8. His latest animated video is for=20
"OPUS 23" the song from Piano solos Vol.2 by Dustin O'Halloran. This=20
song is included in the soundtrack of Sofia Coppola's last movie:=20
"Marie Antoinette". Enjoy it! More info can be found at:=20
www.myspace.com/marcomorandi

Peter Lowey: Peter Lowey is an Australian 2d animator whose work takes=20
the viewer on a surreal journey where one meets fantastical characters=20
in fluid landscapes. More info:
www.myspace.com/peterlowey

Thank you for supporting independent filmmakers!

Standing Rock Cultural Arts
257 N. Water St.
Kent, OH 44240
330-673-4970