[NEohioPAL]Mike McNamara at Arts Collinwood Gallery

Sarah Gyorki sgyorki at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 3 07:40:27 PST 2007

--0-2058243722-1170517227=:50778

For Immediate Release: January 29, 2007

Arts Collinwood Gallery
15605 Waterloo Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44110
216.692.9500
www.artscollinwood.org
Gallery Hours: Friday 6 - 9:00 p.m., Saturdays/Sunday 1 - 4:00 p.m.

Media contact: Patsy Kline, Curator, (216) 323-0085 or (216) 875-9689

Arts Collinwood Gallery proudly announces
“Pendulum: A Relationship with Paint” oil paintings by Michael McNamara
Sneak Preview of McNamara’s work and Cafe Marika (next door to
gallery), Thursday, February 8, 2007 from 6 - 10:00 p.m.
Live Music, Beverages and Refreshments
$35 admission (Benefits Arts Collinwoood Building Renovation)
Show Opens Friday, February 9 from 6 - 10:00 p.m.
Show runs thru Friday, March 3 with a closing reception from 6 - 9:00
p.m.
FREE and open to the public

Cleveland, Ohio—Michael McNamara grew up in Cleveland, Ohio on the near
west side. While attending Cleveland Public Schools, he sought
additional artistic training from the Cooper School of Art, Kent State
University, and the Cleveland Institute of Art. He later moved to
Houston, Texas where he continued his studies at the Glassell School of
Art. Most recently, he served as understudy to Dick Wray, arguably one
of the purest Abstract Expressionist painters alive today.

In 1995, while walking home from an opening exhibition in Texas,
McNamara was hit by a car, resulting in multiple broken bones. A few
days later he slipped into a coma and wasn’t expected to survive.
Miraculously, after two months in a coma, he made a full recovery.
However, McNamara was faced with a new reality. Although his body had
completely healed, the coma had wiped the slate clean of any emotional
connections with the world he once knew. The images were there, he
recognized the faces, he knew his family and friends, he knew he was a
painter, but every emotional connection had disappeared.

Every creative journey brings new ideas to the surface — this became
the new essence of McNamara. In a quest to regain what was lost he
resigned from his job of 16 years and spent the next year traveling the
United States and Europe. After stays in Los Angeles, New Orleans, New
York, Paris and Prague, he returned home to Cleveland to translate his
experiences to canvas — to permanently record his new found reality and
memories.

In the years that followed McNamara continued to evolve — moving
through religious, literary, and erotic subject matter. Playing with
paint like a new toy — his color palette became dark and muted, then
came to life again like a carnival ride as he continued to move through
deeper and deeper investigations into his psyche. McNamara’s work is an
amalgam of his experiences, personal desires and sensitivities —
sometimes abstract in orientation with patchy blacks and strong
brushwork — yet other times soft, muted and provocative. McNamara has
collected an extensive library of images and a varied repertoire of
processes in which to express himself such as painting with spatulas,
sticks and found objects. His figurative images are private and
personal, with raw physical and psychological power that function like
mirrors — he reveals to us ourselves and invites contemplation and
investigation. McNamara’s art narrates fears, anxieties and desires in
a language that is playful and gestural. This exhibition touches upon
the pendulum found in his work — how each work hinges on the next and
is equally as raw, authentic and as powerful as the next — regardless.
The work before you is McNamara’s new world, a world created via his
relationship with paint and key to his survival.

“Painting is my passion. That passion is explored through a process.
That process produces a product. The product is often exhibited.
However, the driving force for the process is my passion to understand
the world in which I live — rather than the product. Although
exhibitions, reviews, and sales of these products help to support my
painting — the driving force for painting is the process of exploring.
What I offer to you are images resulting from my perception of reality
— my desires, my passions — but most importantly my memories,” states
McNamara.

McNamara strongly supports the community in which he lives, donating
his creative services to organizations such as The Make a Wish
Foundation, United Way, and Cleveland Public Theatre. The events of
September 11 moved McNamara to design a 60’ x 40’ mural of a flag for
the city of Lakewood. The mural is located on the southwest corner of
Detroit and Warren Roads. He also lectures to local middle and high
school art students interested in pursuing a career in the arts. In
2000, McNamara took first place in the Kent State University annual
juried show symposium on domestic violence; his painting was entitled
“The Witness.”

Cafe Marika — soon to be North Collinwood’s hottest cafe and coffee
house is located at 15601 Waterloo Road, right next door to Arts
Collinwood Gallery. Cafe Marika has been long awaited by area residents
and artists and on Thursday, February 8, from 6 - 10:00 p.m., you will
have the opportunity to be the first to get a sneak preview of their
fabulous new digs and menu that includes pastry, soups, breads, salads,
coffee, beer and wine. In addition, you can also help support the
vision of Arts Collinwood as Cafe Marika hosts a special benefit in
their honor. Tickets can be purchased for $35 at the door the evening
of the event and includes menu, drinks, live music and parking. Don’t
be left out in the cold - Join in as the hottest cafe in town
celebrates the hottest artist and gallery in Cleveland!

For more information, please contact Patsy Kline at (216) 323-0085 or
(216) 875-9689.

--0-2058243722-1170517227=:50778

For Immediate Release: January 29, 2007<BR><BR> <BR>Arts Collinwood Gallery<BR>15605 Waterloo Road<BR>Cleveland, Ohio 44110<BR>216.692.9500<BR>www.artscollinwood.org<BR>Gallery Hours: Friday 6 - 9:00 p.m., Saturdays/Sunday 1 - 4:00 p.m. <BR><BR>Media contact: Patsy Kline, Curator, (216) 323-0085 or (216) 875-9689<BR><BR> <BR>Arts Collinwood Gallery proudly announces<BR>“Pendulum: A Relationship with Paint” oil paintings by Michael McNamara<BR>Sneak Preview of McNamara’s work and Cafe Marika (next door to <BR>gallery), Thursday, February 8, 2007 from 6 - 10:00 p.m.<BR>Live Music, Beverages and Refreshments<BR>$35 admission (Benefits Arts Collinwoood Building Renovation)<BR>Show Opens Friday, February 9 from 6 - 10:00 p.m.<BR>Show runs thru Friday, March 3 with a closing reception from 6 - 9:00 <BR>p.m.<BR>FREE and open to the public<BR><BR><BR>Cleveland, Ohio—Michael McNamara grew up in Cleveland, Ohio on the near <BR>west side. While attending Cleveland
 Public Schools, he sought <BR>additional artistic training from the Cooper School of Art, Kent State <BR>University, and the Cleveland Institute of Art. He later moved to <BR>Houston, Texas where he continued his studies at the Glassell School of <BR>Art. Most recently, he served as understudy to Dick Wray, arguably one <BR>of the purest Abstract Expressionist painters alive today.<BR><BR>In 1995, while walking home from an opening exhibition in Texas, <BR>McNamara was hit by a car, resulting in multiple broken bones. A few <BR>days later he slipped into a coma and wasn’t expected to survive. <BR>Miraculously, after two months in a coma, he made a full recovery. <BR>However, McNamara was faced with a new reality. Although his body had <BR>completely healed, the coma had wiped the slate clean of any emotional <BR>connections with the world he once knew. The images were there, he <BR>recognized the faces, he knew his family and friends, he knew he was a <BR>painter, but
 every emotional connection had disappeared.<BR><BR>Every creative journey brings new ideas to the surface — this became <BR>the new essence of McNamara. In a quest to regain what was lost he <BR>resigned from his job of 16 years and spent the next year traveling the <BR>United States and Europe. After stays in Los Angeles, New Orleans, New <BR>York, Paris and Prague, he returned home to Cleveland to translate his <BR>experiences to canvas — to permanently record his new found reality and <BR>memories.<BR><BR>In the years that followed McNamara continued to evolve — moving <BR>through religious, literary, and erotic subject matter. Playing with <BR>paint like a new toy — his color palette became dark and muted, then <BR>came to life again like a carnival ride as he continued to move through <BR>deeper and deeper investigations into his psyche. McNamara’s work is an <BR>amalgam of his experiences, personal desires and sensitivities — <BR>sometimes abstract in orientation
 with patchy blacks and strong <BR>brushwork — yet other times soft, muted and provocative. McNamara has <BR>collected an extensive library of images and a varied repertoire of <BR>processes in which to express himself such as painting with spatulas, <BR>sticks and found objects. His figurative images are private and <BR>personal, with raw physical and psychological power that function like <BR>mirrors — he reveals to us ourselves and invites contemplation and <BR>investigation. McNamara’s art narrates fears, anxieties and desires in <BR>a language that is playful and gestural. This exhibition touches upon <BR>the pendulum found in his work — how each work hinges on the next and <BR>is equally as raw, authentic and as powerful as the next — regardless. <BR>The work before you is McNamara’s new world, a world created via his <BR>relationship with paint and key to his survival.<BR><BR>“Painting is my passion. That passion is explored through a process. <BR>That process
 produces a product. The product is often exhibited. <BR>However, the driving force for the process is my passion to understand <BR>the world in which I live — rather than the product. Although <BR>exhibitions, reviews, and sales of these products help to support my <BR>painting — the driving force for painting is the process of exploring. <BR>What I offer to you are images resulting from my perception of reality <BR>— my desires, my passions — but most importantly my memories,” states <BR>McNamara.<BR><BR>McNamara strongly supports the community in which he lives, donating <BR>his creative services to organizations such as The Make a Wish <BR>Foundation, United Way, and Cleveland Public Theatre. The events of <BR>September 11 moved McNamara to design a 60’ x 40’ mural of a flag for <BR>the city of Lakewood. The mural is located on the southwest corner of <BR>Detroit and Warren Roads. He also lectures to local middle and high <BR>school art students interested in pursuing a
 career in the arts. In <BR>2000, McNamara took first place in the Kent State University annual <BR>juried show symposium on domestic violence; his painting was entitled <BR>“The Witness.”<BR><BR>Cafe Marika — soon to be North Collinwood’s hottest cafe and coffee <BR>house is located at 15601 Waterloo Road, right next door to Arts <BR>Collinwood Gallery. Cafe Marika has been long awaited by area residents <BR>and artists and on Thursday, February 8, from 6 - 10:00 p.m., you will <BR>have the opportunity to be the first to get a sneak preview of their <BR>fabulous new digs and menu that includes pastry, soups, breads, salads, <BR>coffee, beer and wine. In addition, you can also help support the <BR>vision of Arts Collinwood as Cafe Marika hosts a special benefit in <BR>their honor. Tickets can be purchased for $35 at the door the evening <BR>of the event and includes menu, drinks, live music and parking. Don’t <BR>be left out in the cold - Join in as the hottest cafe in town
 <BR>celebrates the hottest artist and gallery in Cleveland!<BR><BR>For more information, please contact Patsy Kline at (216) 323-0085 or <BR>(216) 875-9689.<BR>
--0-2058243722-1170517227=:50778--