[NEohioPAL]E-Mail 101

Michael Rubin mjr64 at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 3 13:12:24 PST 2007

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C747AE.177677F0

This email safety idea follows a couple other effective sternfeldlist =
ideas affecting anyone who forwards postings and other emails.
If you're getting spam or unwanted pop-ups even with your anti-virus =
software,take note.
This simple advice was safely forwarded to me from an IT =
professional.Some of you already know what to do.
My therapist says that with this posting I have now contributed to the =
betterment of society,equal to walking an old lady across the street.
Also,I apologize to Jeon Francis for not including www.artistschair.com =
in my Top 10 list,but watching 24 is more important.

Subject: E-Mail 101

  A  computer expert received the following directly from a system =
administrator for a corporate system. It is an excellent message that  =
ABSOLUTELY applies to ALL of us who send e-mails. Please read the short =
letter below, even if you're sure you already follow proper procedures.=20

  LETTER TO MY FRIENDS: Do you really know  how to forward e-mails?  50% =
of us do; 50% DO  NOT.=20

  Do  you wonder why you get viruses or junk mail?  Do you hate it?   =
Every time you forward an e-mail, there is information left over from =
the  people who got the message before you--namely their e-mail =
addresses &  names.  As the messages get forwarded along, the list of =
addresses builds, and builds, and builds, and all it takes is for some =
poor sap to get a virus, and his or her computer can send that virus to  =
every e-mail address that has come across his computer.  Or, someone  =
can take all of those addresses and sell them, or send junk mail to  =
them in the hopes that you will go to the site and he will make five =
cents for each hit.  That's right, all of that inc onvenience  over a =
nickel!=20

  How  do you stop it?  Well, there are several easy steps:=20

  (1)  When you  forward an e-mail, DELETE all of the other addresses =
that appear in the  body of the message (at the top). That's right, =
DELETE them. Highlight them and delete them, backspace them, cut them, =
whatever  it is you know how to do.  It only takes a second.  You MUST  =
click the "Forward" button first and then you will have full editing =
capabilities against the body and headers of the message.  If you  don't =
click on "Forward" first, you won't be able to edit the message at  all. =

  (2)  Whenever  you send an e-mail to more than one person, do NOT use =
the TO: or CC:  fields for adding e-mail addresses.  Always use the BCC: =
(blind carbon copy) field for listing the e-mail addresses. This way the =
 people you send to will only see their own e-mail address.  If you  =
don't see your BCC: option, click on where it says TO: and your address =
list will appear.  Highlight the address and choose BCC: and that's  =
it--it's that easy.  When you send to BCC: your message will  =
automatically say "Undisclosed Recipients" in the "TO:" field of the  =
people who receive it.  If that phrase does not appear, type your own  =
e-mail address in the "TO" field, but put everyone else's in the BCC: =
field.=20

  (3)  Remove  "FW:" in the subject line.  You can re-name the subject =
if you wish,  or even fix spelling.=20

  (4)  ALWAYS hit  your Forward button from the actual e-mail you are =
reading. Ever get those e-mails that you have to open 10 pages to read =
the one  page with the information on it?  By Forwarding from the actual =
 page you wish someone to view, you stop them from having to open many  =
e-mails just to see what you sent.  (AMEN!)  If you  can't forward from =
that page, "Copy" the info and then open a new e-mail  blank page and =
"Paste."=20

  (5)   Have you ever gotten an email that is a petition?  It states a =
position and asks you to add your name and address and to forward it to =
10  or 15 people or your entire address book.  The email  can be =
forwarded on and on and can collect thousands of names and  e-mail =
addresses.  A FACT:  The completed petition is actually  worth a couple =
of bucks to a professional spammer because of the  wealth of valid names =
and email addresses contained therein.  If  you want to support the =
petition, send it as your own personal letter to  the intended =
recipient.  Your position may carry more weight as a  personal letter =
than a laundry list of names and e-mail address on a petition.  =
(Actually, if you think about it, who is supposed to  send the petition =
in to whatever cause it supports?  Most email  petitions are not ever =
going to accomplish anything. And don't  believe the ones that say that =
the email is being traced, it  just isn't so!)=20

  One of  the main ones I hate is the ones that say that something like, =
-Send this email to 10 people and you'll see something great run across  =
your screen.-  Or sometimes they just tease you by saying something =
really cute will happen.  IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!   (Trust me, I'm =
still seeing some of the same ones that I waited on 10  years ago!)  I =
don't let the bad luck ones scare me either;  they get trashed.  (Could =
be why I haven't won the  lottery.) Before you forward an Amber Alert, =
or a Virus Alert, or some of the other ones floating around nowadays, =
check  them out before you forward them.  Most of them are junk mail =
that  have been circling the net for YEARS!  Just about everything you  =
receive in an e-mail that is in question can be checked out at Snopes.   =
Just go to http://www.snopes.com/.   It is really easy to find out if it =
is real or not.  If it is not,  please don't pass it on.  So please, in =
the future, let's stop the  junk mail and the viruses.  Also, notice how =
"clean" this email is?  I was striped of all those clutter symbols =
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< by using this simple, easy to use program: =20
  available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm

  Finally, here's an  idea!!!  Let's send this to everyone we know (but =
strip my address  off first, please).  This is something that SHOULD be  =
forwarded. AMEN!=20

-----

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C747AE.177677F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This email safety idea follows a couple =
other=20
effective sternfeldlist ideas affecting anyone who<STRONG> =
forwards</STRONG>=20
postings and other emails.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If you're getting spam or unwanted =
pop-ups even=20
with your anti-virus software,take note.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This simple advice was safely forwarded =
to me from=20
an IT professional.Some of you already know what to do.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My therapist says that with this =
posting I have now=20
contributed to the betterment of society,equal to walking an old lady =
across the=20
street.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also,I apologize to Jeon Francis for =
not including=20
<A href=3D"http://www.artistschair.com">www.artistschair.com</A> in my =
Top 10=20
list,but watching 24 is more important.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> E-Mail 101</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dreplbq=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px =
solid">
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><STRONG>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">A  computer =
expert=20
  received the following directly from a system administrator for a =
corporate=20
  system. It is an excellent message that  ABSOLUTELY applies to =
ALL of us=20
  who send e-mails. Please read the short letter below, even if you're =
sure you=20
  already follow proper procedures. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">LETTER TO MY FRIENDS: Do you really =
know =20
  how to forward e-mails?  50% of us do; 50% DO  NOT. =
</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Do  you wonder why you get =
viruses or=20
  junk mail?  Do you hate it?   Every time you forward an =
e-mail,=20
  there is information left over from the  people who got the =
message=20
  before you--namely their e-mail addresses &  names.  As =
the=20
  messages get forwarded along, the list of addresses builds, and =
builds, and=20
  builds, and all it takes is for some poor sap to get a virus, and his =
or her=20
  computer can send that virus to  every e-mail address that has =
come=20
  across his computer.  Or, someone  can take all of those =
addresses=20
  and sell them, or send junk mail to  them in the hopes that you =
will go=20
  to the site and he will make five cents for each hit.  That's =
right, all=20
  of that inc onvenience  over a nickel! </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">How  do you stop it?  =
Well, there=20
  are several easy steps: </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">(1)  When you  forward an =
e-mail,=20
  DELETE all of the other addresses that appear in the  body of the =
message=20
  (at the top). That's right, DELETE them. Highlight them and delete =
them,=20
  backspace them, cut them, whatever  it is you know how to =
do.  It=20
  only takes a second.  You MUST  click the "Forward" button =
first and=20
  then you will have full editing capabilities against the body and =
headers of=20
  the message.  If you  don't click on "Forward" first, you =
won't be=20
  able to edit the message at  all. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">(2)  Whenever  you send an =
e-mail to=20
  more than one person, do NOT use the TO: or CC:  fields for =
adding e-mail=20
  addresses.  Always use the BCC: (blind carbon copy) field for =
listing the=20
  e-mail addresses. This way the  people you send to will only see =
their=20
  own e-mail address.  If you  don't see your BCC: option, =
click on=20
  where it says TO: and your address list will appear.  Highlight =
the=20
  address and choose BCC: and that's  it--it's that easy.  =
When you=20
  send to BCC: your message will  automatically say "Undisclosed=20
  Recipients" in the "TO:" field of the  people who receive =
it.  If=20
  that phrase does not appear, type your own  e-mail address in the =
"TO"=20
  field, but put everyone else's in the BCC: field. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">(3)  Remove  "FW:" in the =
subject=20
  line.  You can re-name the subject if you wish,  or even fix =

  spelling. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">(4)  ALWAYS hit  your =
Forward button=20
  from the actual e-mail you are reading. Ever get those e-mails that =
you have=20
  to open 10 pages to read the one  page with the information on =
it? =20
  By Forwarding from the actual  page you wish someone to view, you =
stop=20
  them from having to open many  e-mails just to see what you =
sent. =20
  (AMEN!)  If you  can't forward from that page, "Copy" the =
info and=20
  then open a new e-mail  blank page and "Paste." </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">(5)   Have you ever gotten =
an email=20
  that is a petition?  It states a position and asks you to add =
your name=20
  and address and to forward it to 10  or 15 people or your entire =
address=20
  book.  The email  can be forwarded on and on and can collect =

  thousands of names and  e-mail addresses.  A FACT:  The =

  completed petition is actually  worth a couple of bucks to a =
professional=20
  spammer because of the  wealth of valid names and email addresses =

  contained therein.  If  you want to support the petition, =
send it as=20
  your own personal letter to  the intended recipient.  Your =
position=20
  may carry more weight as a  personal letter than a laundry list =
of names=20
  and e-mail address on a petition.  (Actually, if you think about =
it, who=20
  is supposed to  send the petition in to whatever cause it =
supports? =20
  Most email  petitions are not ever going to accomplish anything. =
And=20
  don't  believe the ones that say that the email is being traced, =
it =20
  just isn't so!) </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">One of  the main ones I hate is =
the ones=20
  that say that something like, -Send this email to 10 people and you'll =
see=20
  something great run across  your screen.-  Or sometimes they =
just=20
  tease you by saying something really cute will happen.  IT AIN'T =
GONNA=20
  HAPPEN!!!!!   (Trust me, I'm still seeing some of the same =
ones that=20
  I waited on 10  years ago!)  I don't let the bad luck ones =
scare me=20
  either;  they get trashed.  (Could be why I haven't won =
the =20
  lottery.) Before you forward an Amber Alert, or a Virus Alert, or some =
of the=20
  other ones floating around nowadays, check  them out before you =
forward=20
  them.  Most of them are junk mail that  have been circling =
the net=20
  for YEARS!  Just about everything you  receive in an e-mail =
that is=20
  in question can be checked out at Snopes.   Just go to =
</FONT><A=20
  href=3D""><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans =
MS">http://www.snopes.com/</FONT></A><FONT=20
  face=3D"Comic Sans MS">.   It is really easy to find out if =
it is real=20
  or not.  If it is not,  please don't pass it on.  So =
please, in=20
  the future, let's stop the  junk mail and the viruses.  =
Also, notice=20
  how "clean" this email is?  I was striped of all those clutter =
symbols=20
  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< by using =
this=20
  simple, easy to use program:  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">available for free from </FONT><A=20
  href=3D""><FONT=20
  face=3D"Comic Sans =
MS">http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm</FONT></A></DIV></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Finally, here's an  =
idea!!!  Let's=20
  send this to everyone we know (but strip my address  off first,=20
  please).  This is something that SHOULD be  forwarded. AMEN! =

  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV> </DIV>
  <DIV> </DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT><A=20
  href=3D""></A></FONT> </DIV></STRONG></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <HR>

  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C747AE.177677F0--