[NEohioPAL]Please Help Akron's Highland Theatre!!

hiland1938 at aol.com hiland1938 at aol.com
Sun Feb 18 07:56:57 PST 2007

----------MB_8C9218C8D2B9358_1110_869A_FWM-D31.sysops.aol.com

18Feb2007
=20
Members of Northeast Ohio=E2=80=99s Arts Community,
Akron=E2=80=99s only medium sized performance venue, Akron's Highland Theatr=
e, as you may already know is in danger. Early last month the owner of this=20=
classic art-deco theatre, took out a permit to tear down the auditorium. The=
 Highland Square Neighborhood Association is trying to save this great symbo=
l of our neighborhood. We would like to see it transformed into a mixed-use/=
multi-cultural arts center, providing a performance space for local organiza=
tions and individual artists. In addition to performances, we would also lik=
e to see this space used to promote local fine artists with the use of the l=
obbies as gallery space; and to provide after school arts programs in conjun=
ction with the new Portage Path Elementary School, which is to be built in t=
he near future.
Unfortunately, we have some opposition. There are three proposed plans for t=
he new school. Two of these plans necessitate the demolition of the theatre.=
 The third, uses the same footprint as the current school. Needless to say,=20=
the third is the preferable option. =20
=20
Here=E2=80=99s where you come in. Enclosed you will find an e-mail list for=20=
the City of Akron School Board, City Council, and Mayor Don Plusquellic.. We=
 ask that you take a few minutes, and send a letter on, signed by yourself a=
nd any arts organization you may represent, or as an individual artist/perfo=
rmer. Please take the time. Your help in this is very important. We need to=20=
show that there is widespread support for a venue of this nature. Thank-you=20=
in advance for your support.
=20
Also, check out:
highlandsquare.org    to get a better idea of the current debate; and visit=20=
out Myspace page at :=20
http://www.myspace.com/highland_theater

=20
=20
=20
=20
All letters to the Board of Education can be mailed to:
Akron Board of Education
Administration Building
70 N. Broadway,
Akron, OH 44308-1911
330/761-1661
fax 330/761-3225

Board of Education President
Linda Kersker
lkersker at brouse.com
330/535-5711

Board of Education Vice President, and Instructional Policy and Student=20
Achievement Chair
Linda F.R. Omobien
lomobien at aol.com
330/867-6571

Community Relations and Legislation Chair
Rev. Dr. Curtis T. Walker, Sr.
cwalker753 at aol.com
330/434-5800

Personnel and Staff Relations Chair
Paul Allison
allisonp at firstenergycorp.com
330/761-4086

Finance and Budgeting Chair
James Hardy
james.j.hardy at gmail.com
330/864-8724

Buildings and Grounds/Student Services and Security Chair
Kirt Conrad
Kirt.conrad at sbcglobal.net
330/785-9212

Accountability and Strategic Planning Chair
Shelia Smith
smithmah54 at yahoo.com
330/873-1277
All City Council correspondence can be mail to

Akron City Council
Council Chambers
Suite 301
166 S. High St.
Akron, Ohio 44308

*John R. Otterman**
*302 Mill Race Run
Akron, OH 44312
330-733-1878 -(home)
330-375-2256 -(office)
330-375-2800 #8311 -(voice mail)
AtLarge2 at ci.akron.oh.us

*John R. Conti*
1235 Flanders Avenue
Akron, OH 44314
330-848-2552 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8312 - (voice mail)
AtLarge1 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Michael Williams**
*1263 Country Club Road
Akron, Ohio 44313

330-867-0644 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
AtLarge3 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 2**
**Bruce Kilby**
*1750 Olalla Avenue
Akron, OH 44305

330-634-1175 (Home)
330-375-2256 (Office)
330-375-2800 #8302 (voice mail)
Ward2 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Marco S. Sommerville*
*Council President*
618 Copley Road
Akron, OH 44320

330-434-4377 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8303 - (voice mail)
Ward3 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 4*
*Renee L. Greene*
*(Council President Pro-Tem)*
477 Mineola Avenue
Akron, OH 44320

330-867-4329 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8304 - (voice mail)
Ward4 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Jim Shealey**
*1258 Delos Street
Akron, OH 44306

330-785-0539 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8305 - (voice mail)
Ward5 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 6**
**Terry Albanese*
2530 Cedar Creek Lane
Akron, Ohio 44312

330-784-4610 - (home)
330-375-2800 #8306 (voice mail)
Ward6 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 7**
**Tina Merlitti**
304 Clinton Avenue
Akron, Ohio 44301*
330-724-2520 (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8307 (voice mail)
Ward7 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward8**
**Bob Keith*
585 Winslow Avenue
Akron, OH 44313

330-867-8287 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8308 - (voice mail)
Ward8 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 9**
**Mike Freeman*
1914 19^th Street SW
Akron, OH 44314

330-753-2522 (home)
330-375-2256 (office)
330-375-2800 #8309 (voice mail)
Ward9 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 10*
*Garry Moneypenny*
*(Council Vice President)*
537 Fulmer Avenue
Akron, Ohio 44312

330-733-8269 (home)
330-375-2256 (office)
330-375-2800 #8310 (voice mail)
Ward10 at ci.akron.oh.us email):

   *Mayor Donald L. Plusquellic*
   Suite 200 Municipal Building
   166 South High Street
   Akron, Ohio 44308
   330-375-2345 (voice)
   330-375-2468 (fax)
   mayor at ci.akron.oh.us
   (your postal address is required for a response from the mayor)

February 02, 2007

 Mayor's theater deadline 3 months

   Highland Square group wants to save building

         By Stephanie Warsmith

           Beacon Journal staff writer

Mayor Don Plusquellic is giving the Highland Square Neighborhood=20
Association three months to come up with a plan to save the Highland=20
Theater.

Plusquellic announced the deadline toward the end of a tense two-hour=20
community meeting Wednesday night to discuss plans for the new Portage=20
Path Elementary School.

During the meeting, city and school leaders unveiled three possible=20
site=20
plans for the school -- two that involve space now occupied by the=20
nearby theater.

Neither the city nor school district has any official plans to buy the=20
theater property, though the theater owner is thought to be interested=20
in selling and recently obtained a demolition permit.

The neighborhood association has been mounting an effort to spare the=20
theater and turn it into a community performing arts center.

Mark Williamson, a spokesman for Plusquellic, said the mayor wanted to=20
give the group enough time to craft a proposal, while also setting a=20
deadline.

Portage Path parents and staff are concerned about plans for the school=20
languishing because of the theater debate.
Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and security t=
ools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, fr=
ee AOL Mail and more.

----------MB_8C9218C8D2B9358_1110_869A_FWM-D31.sysops.aol.com

<HTML><BODY>

heatre, as you may already know is in danger. Early last month the owner of=20=
this classic art-deco theatre, took out a permit to tear down the auditorium=
. The Highland Square Neighborhood Association is trying to save this great=20=
symbol of our neighborhood. We would like to see it transformed into a mixed=
-use/multi-cultural arts center, providing a performance space for local org=
anizations and individual artists. In addition to performances, we would als=
o like to see this space used to promote local fine artists with the use of=20=
the lobbies as gallery space; and to provide after school arts programs in c=
onjunction with the new Portage Path Elementary School, which is to be built=
 in the near future.</div>

for the new school. Two of these plans necessitate the demolition of the the=
atre. The third, uses the same footprint as the current school. Needless to=20=
say, the third is the preferable option.  </div>

 for the City of Akron School Board, City Council, and Mayor Don Plusquellic=
.. We ask that you take a few minutes, and send a letter on, signed by yours=
elf and any arts organization you may represent, or as an individual artist/=
performer. Please take the time. Your help in this is very important. We nee=
d to show that there is widespread support for a venue of this nature. Thank=
-you in advance for your support.</div>

t debate; and visit out Myspace page at : </div>

<TT>

</TT><FONT size=3D2>

</FONT><PRE>Akron Board of Education

lkersker at brouse.com
330/535-5711

lomobien at aol.com
330/867-6571

cwalker753 at aol.com
330/434-5800

allisonp at firstenergycorp.com
330/761-4086

james.j.hardy at gmail.com
330/864-8724

Kirt.conrad at sbcglobal.net
330/785-9212

AtLarge2 at ci.akron.oh.us

*John R. Conti*
1235 Flanders Avenue
Akron, OH 44314
330-848-2552 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8312 - (voice mail)
AtLarge1 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Michael Williams**
*1263 Country Club Road
Akron, Ohio 44313

330-867-0644 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
AtLarge3 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 2**
**Bruce Kilby**
*1750 Olalla Avenue
Akron, OH 44305

330-634-1175 (Home)
330-375-2256 (Office)
330-375-2800 #8302 (voice mail)
Ward2 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Marco S. Sommerville*
*Council President*
618 Copley Road
Akron, OH 44320

330-434-4377 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8303 - (voice mail)
Ward3 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 4*
*Renee L. Greene*
*(Council President Pro-Tem)*
477 Mineola Avenue
Akron, OH 44320

330-867-4329 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8304 - (voice mail)
Ward4 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Jim Shealey**
*1258 Delos Street
Akron, OH 44306

330-785-0539 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8305 - (voice mail)
Ward5 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 6**
**Terry Albanese*
2530 Cedar Creek Lane
Akron, Ohio 44312

330-784-4610 - (home)
330-375-2800 #8306 (voice mail)
Ward6 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 7**
**Tina Merlitti**
304 Clinton Avenue
Akron, Ohio 44301*
330-724-2520 (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8307 (voice mail)
Ward7 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward8**
**Bob Keith*
585 Winslow Avenue
Akron, OH 44313

330-867-8287 - (home)
330-375-2256 - (office)
330-375-2800 #8308 - (voice mail)
Ward8 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 9**
**Mike Freeman*
1914 19^th Street SW
Akron, OH 44314

330-753-2522 (home)
330-375-2256 (office)
330-375-2800 #8309 (voice mail)
Ward9 at ci.akron.oh.us

*Ward 10*

   mayor at ci.akron.oh.us
[...]

</PRE><FONT size=3D2></FONT></div>

<hr style=3D"margin-top:10px;" />
l?redir=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaol%2Ecom%2Fnewaol" target=3D"_blank"><b>Check=20=
out the new AOL</b></a>. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security=20=
tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, f=
ree AOL Mail and more.<br />

</BODY></HTML>

----------MB_8C9218C8D2B9358_1110_869A_FWM-D31.sysops.aol.com--