[NEohioPAL]To Volunteer or To Not Volunteer?

Lee Kamps lee921 at att.net
Fri Feb 23 15:09:40 PST 2007

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C75775.CBA7A420

There are wage and hour laws that too many businesses seem to be ignoring
and the Bush administration isn't aggressively enforcing. A volunteer is
just that - an unpaid volunteer that signs up for a specific project or
event without expecting to be paid. Many non profit orgainzations depend on
volunteers to survive. The laws are very strict regarding volunteers versus
employees.

If one hires someone not in their immediate family and not a part owner of
the business, then they must pay them at least the federal minimum wage.
That is the law. Certain people can be hired as independent contractors and
not subject to the minimum wage laws like commissioned sales representatives
and others hired on a contract basis (like a contractor that hires out
carpenters, plumbers, etc.) but paid on a project basis. It is up to the
independent contractor to decide whether to accept any contract assignment
or job. The IRS has distinct rules between an independent contractor and an
employee.

If you hire someone as an employee, then it is the law to withhold federal,
state and local income taxes and remit those withheld taxes to the proper
authority. An employer must also pay the matching social secirity and
Medicare tax as well as withhold the taxes from the employee and remit it to
Uncle Sam. Failure to do so results in severe penalties from the IRS that
could put a company out of business and send the owners to prison.

If an opportunity is truly a multi million dollar enterprise, then certainly
the owner could afford to pay an assistant. Otherwise it is only so much
hype and is most likely a scam masquarading as a business opportunity. If it
is a scam, then the postal inspection service or other law enforcement
authority should be notified. These scams pop up all the time. If anyone is
working without pay and is not a part owner or an immediate family member of
the owner; then their employer is breaking the law. You should notify the
Department of Labor and the state's atorney general's office. You are
entitled to be paid for your work.

When landlords, creditors and mortgage companies will accept promises in
lieu of dollars; then it is fine to work as an unpaid employee. However
being paid in company stock instead of wages is a fraud and most often that
stock is worthless. Stock options to employees and ESOPs are a viable means
to attract good employees to start up companies. The best example of that is
Wal Mart. When Sam Walton started Wal Mart in the early 1970s, many
employees were given stock in Wal Mart. There are a lot of secretaries,
truck drivers and cashiers that became millionaires through that early Wal
Mart stock.

Lee Kamps