[NEohioPAL]Thanks to all and some answers for the curios

Noah Budin nbudin at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 5 10:39:02 PDT 2007

--0-1479557277-1175794742=:95203

Re: O Mary Don't You Weep

  Thanks to everyone who responded! What a lot of terrific information I received. Some have asked me to share the findings. In a nutshell, here they are:
  (BTW, I'm sure some of my theology here is a little fuzzy. Please don't email me with corrections. I'm just summing it in as brief a manner as I can. Thanks!)

  The Mary in the song refers to Martha and Lazarus' sister. Mary and Martha wept for Lazarus when he died. Jesus told them not to weep or mourn and was so moved by their grief that he raised Lazarus from the dead.

  "Mary wore three links of chain/and each link was in freedom's name." Many suggested that the three links represent the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In earlier versions of the song (and other spirituals) the verse is sung "Mary wore three links of chain/And on each link was Jesus' name." This verse, and several others, are what are referred to as "floating verses." That is, they show up in other spirituals.

  In this song, Old and New Testament imagery is mixed. As always, with spirituals originating 200 - 300 years ago in the slave communities (e.g. This Little Light of Mine, Go Down Moses, Wade in the Water, etc.), it's not about the literal interpretation. It's about Freedom.

  And, as always, with folk music, the songs are in constant transition. Each generation, era, place or person changes words to suit their needs. Pete Seeger calls it "The Folk Process." (We Shall Overcome is a good example).

  Thanks again for all of the great information. I reached out across Jewish, secular and performing arts lists and individuals, and everyone came together to offer intelligent and insightful information. What a terrific and blessed community we really are!

  Peace,
  Noah

--0-1479557277-1175794742=:95203

<DIV>Re: O Mary Don't You Weep</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>Thanks to everyone who responded! What a lot of terrific information I received. Some have asked me to share the findings. In a nutshell, here they are:</DIV>  <DIV>(BTW, I'm sure some of my theology here is a little fuzzy. Please don't email me with corrections. I'm just summing it in as brief a manner as I can. Thanks!)</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>The Mary in the song refers to Martha and Lazarus' sister. Mary and Martha wept for Lazarus when he died. Jesus told them not to weep or mourn and was so moved by their grief that he raised Lazarus from the dead.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>"Mary wore three links of chain/and each link was in freedom's name." Many suggested that the three links represent the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In earlier versions of the song (and other spirituals) the verse is sung "Mary wore three links of chain/And on each link was Jesus' name." This verse, and several
 others, are what are referred to as "floating verses." That is, they show up in other spirituals.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>In this song, Old and New Testament imagery is mixed. As always, with spirituals originating 200 - 300 years ago in the slave communities (e.g. This Little Light of Mine, Go Down Moses, Wade in the Water, etc.), it's not about the literal interpretation. It's about Freedom. </DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>And, as always, with folk music, the songs are in constant transition. Each generation, era, place or person changes words to suit their needs. Pete Seeger calls it "The Folk Process." (We Shall Overcome is a good example).</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>Thanks again for all of the great information. I reached out across Jewish, secular and performing arts lists and individuals, and everyone came together to offer intelligent and insightful information. What a terrific and blessed community we really are!</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>
 <DIV>Peace,</DIV>  <DIV>Noah</DIV>
--0-1479557277-1175794742=:95203--