[NEohioPAL]2007 RAP SESSIONS COMMUNITY DIALOGUE ON "DOES HIP HIP HATE WOMEN?"

molly larocco mollylarocco at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:02:41 PDT 2007

------=_Part_4066_23164658.1176483761433

2007 RAP SESSIONS COMMUNITY DIALOGUE ON "DOES HIP HIP HATE WOMEN?"

"Does Hip Hop Hate Women?" is the second of two events brought to you by the
Flora Stone Mather Center for Women's annual Project on Men and Gender.

When:
Wednesday Apr 18, 2007
at 7:00 PM

Where::
Strosacker Auditorium (CWRU)
2125 Adelbert Road
Cleveland, OH 44106

Panel Discussion featuring

Bakari Kitwana - moderator, author of Hip Hop Generation and Why White Kids
Love Hip Hop,

Joan Morgan - author of When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: My Life as a
Hip Hop Feminist,

Mark Anthony Neal - author of New Black Man: Rethinking Black Masculinity,

Byron Hurt - producer/director of Beyond Beats and Rhymes and I am a Man:
Black Masculinity in America,

Tracey Sharpley-Whiting - author of Pimps Up, Ho's Down: Young Black Women,
Hip Hop and the New Gender Politics

Throughout the last several years of its 30 year existence, hip-hop has
revealed itself as a national cultural movement centered around hip-hop arts
that often lends itself to larger role of community development. Much of
this movement is local and lacks formal connections at a national level.
Hence at times even though many local young activists and artists are
helping to forge new directions without a language or framework for
revealing the national implications of this, it remains hidden from national
view and its impact is minimized. The hip-hop cultural movement is forging a
new dialogue around race. However this too exists for the most part in
isolated pockets around the country. A national tour of community dialogues
on race and hip-hop will bring national attention to the ways this
generation is processing race in radically different ways than previous
generations of Americans. The dialogues also hope to provide young people
involved with hip-hop arts and activism a new language and framework for
thinking through the emerging racial politics of our time and thereby assist
greater community building.

The community centers that often facilitated local discussion in previous
eras have been caught up in changing demographics and economies. Community
dialogues hopes to serve as a "virtual community center" where we'll debate
issues of vital concern to the hip-hop generation. The purpose of the
dialogues is to assist community building and social change by helping to
evolve new frameworks for thinking through the crises of our time. This
year, we're taking on the question, "Does Hip-Hop Hate Women?"

Join us for an AFTER PARTY AT THE SPOT!
Featuring:
Gym Class Heroes- www.myspace.com/gymclassheroes
Tabi Bonney- www.myspace.com/tabibonney

April 18th, 9:00PM @ The Spot
1619 Mistletoe Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44106

The Project on Men and Gender is brought to you by Case Western Reserve
University's Flora Stone Mather Center for Women, with co-sponsorship from
the University Program Board, Greek Life, Undergraduate Student Government,
Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities, The Spot, Student Affairs, the Flora
Stone Mather Class of 1956, Cleveland State University's Black Studies
Department, the Cleveland area Men's Violence Prevention Task Force, the
Community Technology Foundation of California, and Campus Progress.

------=_Part_4066_23164658.1176483761433

"Does Hip Hop Hate Women?" is the second of two events brought to you
by the Flora Stone Mather Center for Women's annual Project on Men and
Gender.<br>
When:<br>
Wednesday Apr 18, 2007<br>
at 7:00 PM<br>
Where::<br>
Strosacker Auditorium (CWRU)<br>
2125 Adelbert Road<br>
Cleveland, OH 44106<br>
Panel Discussion featuring <br>
Bakari Kitwana - moderator, author of Hip Hop Generation and Why White Kids Love Hip Hop, <br>
Joan Morgan - author of When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: My Life as a Hip Hop Feminist, <br>
Mark Anthony Neal - author of New Black Man: Rethinking Black Masculinity, <br>
Byron Hurt - producer/director of Beyond Beats and Rhymes and I am a Man: Black Masculinity in America, <br>
Tracey Sharpley-Whiting - author of Pimps Up, Ho's Down: Young Black Women, Hip Hop and the New Gender Politics<br>
[...]
community building.<br>
The community centers that often facilitated local discussion in
previous eras have been caught up in changing demographics and
economies. Community dialogues hopes to serve as a "virtual community
center" where we'll debate issues of vital concern to the hip-hop
generation. The purpose of the dialogues is to assist community
building and social change by helping to evolve new frameworks for
thinking through the crises of our time. This year, we're taking on the
question, "Does Hip-Hop Hate Women?"<br>
Join us for an AFTER PARTY AT THE SPOT!<br>
Featuring:<br>
April 18th, 9:00PM @ The Spot<br>
1619 Mistletoe Rd.<br>
Cleveland, OH 44106<br>