[NEohioPAL]Smoking ban in public

Justin Tatum justin_tatum at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 08:56:30 PDT 2007

--_edc769e3-204f-4d1a-bcfb-d5eae926e59a_

Well put, and I would like to add to the fact that I have never come into c=
ontact with any director that "forced" an actor to smoke onstage without th=
em both coming to an agreement.  It is a choice that the actor makes for hi=
s/her character unless it is specifically referenced in the play.
=20
Cigarettes have maintained a warning since back before, I don't even know w=
hen, that they cause death.  This shouldn't strike anyone as "new" news.  B=
ut I am inclined to agree with Tony on the free speech issue, if we allow t=
he government to start governing what we are allowed to put into our bodies=
, i.e. Trans Fats also, then how long is it until they start trying to make=
 other decisions for us?Justin Tatum

From: mrsprosty at hotmail.comTo: neohiopal at lists.fredsternfeld.comSubject: [N=
EohioPAL]Smoking ban in publicDate: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:18:29 -0400

I do dislike most arguements on neopal, but this one is kinda mind-boggling=
.
I'm sure Nat King Cole, Sammy Davis Jr., John Wayne, etc. etc. would not ca=
re to discuss the subject with Tony Brown.  But, they might.  And if they d=
id- I do not know what they would say, but I'd be all ears (as my fingers r=
ested on the Ouija Board...)  But, I'm sure, we have no idea what they woul=
d say on the subject.  One thing you can be sure of- you are putting words =
in the mouths of some of the greatest entertainers of our time.  Which isn'=
t a very nice thing to do, and it doesn't make for a concrete arguement.
As far as Joe Eszterhas (he's a fellow Clevelander, let's try and spell his=
 name right for respectful purposes), while he might rethink his position n=
ow on smoking, I doubt he'd go back and take a cigarette out of Sharon Ston=
e's hand for the famous interrogation scene in Basic Instinct.  In fact, sm=
oking was used as a characteristic trait in the movie detailing the "danger=
" the Shooter (Michael Douglas' character) was getting into.  He was "clean=
ing up his act" by "quitting drinking, smoking, women", and then he meets C=
atherine and takes up "drinking, smoking, and women". =20
Smoking is a character trait used to show apathy, resilience, and control (=
among other things).  As far as smoking on stage goes- I really think it's =
a bad choice to do it in a room with little to no space for the smoke to go=
, other than the audience...  I wouldn't want someone to light a cigarette =
in a small room where it's just me and them, and I'd expect to not have to =
pay for that type of treatment.
But, to ban smoking from somewhere, say, The Drury Theatre at the Cleveland=
 Play House is just a little...  extreme, wouldn't you think?  The fact is-=
 you are more likely to get cancer from the sun walking into the show, than=
 you are breathing the dissipated cigarette smoke that reaches you in the f=
ront row.  (Just because you can smell the cigarette doesn't mean you are b=
reathing in the second hand smoke...)
If a production company can find a better way to have the actor "feign" cig=
arette smoking, but still  have it so I am not taken out of the play- more =
power to them, and I would be highly impressed with the ruse.  But, usually=
, I sit back and go: "Why is she not lighting the cigarette?  Oh, the actre=
ss must not be a smoker...  I'm watching a play."  It takes me out of it. =
=20
We, as theatrical artists, are supposed to create a world on stage.  You wa=
nt to ban smoking in a Parisian play set in Bohemian times?  That's just ri=
diculous.  They smoked then.  They were carefree then.  If the cigarettes a=
re not meant for anything in the play, and can be cut without losing the pl=
aywrights' or directors' vision- hey, I'm all for it.
But, if it's meant to be a character trait, a beat, a reflection on the wor=
ld at that time- just let it go.  It's art.  It's not supposed to have all =
these rules attached to it.
Sincerely,Matthew A. Sprosty  =20

From:  chuck fink <thinkfinkent at yahoo.com>To:  neohiopal at lists.fredsternfel=
d.comSubject:  [NEohioPAL]Re: Smoking ban in publicDate:  Sun, 15 Apr 2007 =
21:14:33 -0700 (PDT)

OK=97you know what? (No, what, Chuck!?) This whole stink about smoking is g=
etting quite stale, and there=92s really no constructive purpose arguing se=
mantics, at this point. Is the bottom line weren=92t the disservice smoking=
, onstage or off, causes the majority of people who obviously care about th=
eir health, if not the stench that residual smoke causes, then there might =
be something to discuss here! I wonder what Joe Eszterhaus would have to sa=
y about this stupid moot debate, as he is one now suffering the ravages, sl=
ow as they are, of lung cancer=97and one who has fought vigorously to ban s=
moking onscreen=97when viewers only get the sense of smoke. So, there must =
be more to it, dont=92cha think!? C=92mon, folks=85 isn=92t this just the s=
tupidest waste of space, debating this issue, when the proof has been well =
established? I=92m tired of this already! Hold an f=92in unlit cigarette on=
stage, if you must, for effect=97or else puff on a gum cigarette with the f=
unky powder blowing, where the only contact buzz one stands to get, is a su=
gar buzz! Enough, already=97ya hear me!? Ridiculous already, isn=92t it!? (=
Yes, Chuck=97it is!) The glam days of Hollywood are gone! Sammy Davis, Jr. =
(succumbed to throat cancer), John Wayne (lung cancer), Dana Reeve (victim =
by chance), Robert Preston, Forrest Tucker, Warren Zevon, Peter Jennings, Y=
ul Brenner, Andy Kaufman, Nat King Cole=97that merry old soul, etc., etc. I=
f you could go back and ask them if they=92d change anything, subsequent to=
 their diagnoses, I=92m sure they=92d have a few select words for our frien=
d, Mr. Brown! Yeah, there=92s a reason why this issue gets, and has gotten =
the attention it has=85 that=92s because the sensibilities of the majority,=
 out weigh the grasping at straws mentality of the shallow minority! Get wi=
th the times, folks=97or else, just retreat to your own f=92in island, and =
smoke to your lungs content!! Read up, Tony boy=97there=92s a lot of food f=
or thought out there=97the proof of which is in the pudding=97or smoke, if =
you will. Passionate about this, am I? Uh, just a little bit. Can we move n=
ow... please!?!?!=20

      =20

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out=20
new cars at Yahoo! Autos.=20

rom digest to one-at-a-time delivery or vice-versa, go on hiatus while out =
of town, switch from mime to plain text or vice-versa, etc. check out the F=
AQS at http://www.fredsternfeld.com. ______________________________________=
_ Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solel=
y those of the person in the "from" or "reply-to" header. The fact that thi=
s message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by the admi=
nistrator of this list. Subscribers should perform due diligence for all go=
ods, services and activities promoted on NEohioPAL. NEohioPAL mailing list =
NEohioPAL at lists.fredsternfeld.com http://lists.fredsternfeld.com/mailman/li=
stinfo/neohiopal =

--_edc769e3-204f-4d1a-bcfb-d5eae926e59a_

<head>
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
into contact with any director that "forced" an actor to smoke onstage=
 without them both coming to an agreement.  It is a choice that the ac=
tor makes for his/her character unless it is specifically referenced in the=
 play.<BR>
 <BR>
Cigarettes have maintained a warning since back before, I don't even know w=
hen, that they cause death.  This shouldn't strike anyone as "new=
" news.  But I am inclined to agree with Tony on the free speech issue=
, if we allow the government to start governing what we are allowed to put =
into our bodies, i.e. Trans Fats also, then how long is it until they start=
 trying to make other decisions for us?<BR><BR><FONT face=3DTahoma,Helvetic=
a,Sans-Serif><STRONG>Justin Tatum</STRONG></FONT><BR><BR><BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<HR id=3DEC_stopSpelling>
From: mrsprosty at hotmail.com<BR>To: neohiopal at lists.fredsternfeld.com<BR>Sub=
ject: [NEohioPAL]Smoking ban in public<BR>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:18:29 -=
0400<BR><BR>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3DEC_RTE>
I do dislike most arguements on neopal, but this one is kinda mind-boggling=
.<BR>
I'm sure Nat King Cole, Sammy Davis Jr., John Wayne, etc. etc. would not ca=
re to discuss the subject with Tony Brown.  But, they might.  And=
 if they did- I do not know what they would say, but I'd be all ears (=
as my fingers rested on the Ouija Board...)  But, I'm sure, we ha=
ve no idea what they would say on the subject.  One thing you can be s=
ure of- you are putting words in the mouths of some of the greatest enterta=
iners of our time.  Which isn't a very nice thing to do, and it doesn'=
t make for a concrete arguement.<BR>
As far as Joe Eszterhas (he's a fellow Clevelander, let's try and spell his=
 name right for respectful purposes), while he might rethink his position n=
ow on smoking, I doubt he'd go back and take a cigarette out of Sharon Ston=
e's hand for the famous interrogation scene in Basic Instinct.  In fac=
t, smoking was used as a characteristic trait in the movie detailing the "d=
anger" the Shooter (Michael Douglas' character) was getting into.  He =
was "cleaning up his act" by "quitting drinking, smoking, women", and then =
he meets Catherine and takes up "drinking, smoking, and women".  <BR>
Smoking is a character trait used to show apathy, resilience, and control (=
among other things).  As far as smoking on stage goes- I really t=
hink it's a bad choice to do it in a room with little to no space for the s=
moke to go, other than the audience...  I wouldn't want someone to lig=
ht a cigarette in a small room where it's just me and them, and I'd expect =
to not have to pay for that type of treatment.<BR>
But, to ban smoking from somewhere, say, The Drury Theatre at the Cleveland=
 Play House is just a little...  extreme, wouldn't you think?  Th=
e fact is- you are more likely to get cancer from the sun walking into the =
show, than you are breathing the dissipated cigarette smoke that reaches yo=
u in the front row.  (Just because you can smell the cigarette doesn't=
 mean you are breathing in the second hand smoke...)<BR>
If a production company can find a better way to have the actor "feign=
" cigarette smoking, but still  have it so I am not taken out of =
the play- more power to them, and I would be highly impressed with the ruse=
.  But, usually, I sit back and go: "Why is she not lighting the cigar=
ette?  Oh, the actress must not be a smoker...  I'm watching a pl=
ay."  It takes me out of it.  <BR>
We, as theatrical artists, are supposed to create a world on stage.&nb=
sp; You want to ban smoking in a Parisian play set in Bohemian times?&=
nbsp; That's just ridiculous.  They smoked then.  They were caref=
ree then.  If the cigarettes are not meant for anything in the play, a=
nd can be cut without losing the playwrights' or directors' vision- he=
y, I'm all for it.<BR>
But, if it's meant to be a character trait, a beat, a reflection on the wor=
ld at that time- just let it go.  It's art.  It's not supposed to=
 have all these rules attached to it.<BR>
Sincerely,<BR>Matthew A. Sprosty<BR>   <BR><BR><BR></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #a0c=
6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMI=
LY: tahoma,sans-serif">
<HR color=3D#a0c6e5 SIZE=3D1>

<DIV></DIV>From:  <I>chuck fink <thinkfinkent at yahoo.com></I=
><BR>To:  <I>neohiopal at lists.fredsternfeld.com</I><BR>Subject:&nb=
sp; <I>[NEohioPAL]Re: Smoking ban in public</I><BR>Date:  <I=
>Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:14:33 -0700 (PDT)</I><BR>
<DIV></DIV><BR>
<DIV class=3DEC_MsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>OK=97you =
[...]
 you must, for </DIV>effect=97or else puff on a gum cigarette with the funk=
y powder blowing, where the only contact buzz one stands to get, is a sugar=
 buzz! Enough, already=97ya hear me!? Ridiculous already, isn=92t it!? (Yes=
, Chuck=97it is!) The glam days of Hollywood are gone! <SPAN id=3DEC_lw_117=
6696585_0 style=3D"BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">Sammy Davis, Jr</SPAN=
>. (succumbed to throat cancer), <SPAN id=3DEC_lw_1176696585_1 style=3D"BOR=
DER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">John Wayne</SPAN> (lung cancer), <SPAN id=
=3DEC_lw_1176696585_2 style=3D"BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">Dana Reev=
e</SPAN> (victim by chance), <SPAN id=3DEC_lw_1176696585_3 style=3D"BORDER-=
BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">Robert Preston</SPAN>, Forrest Tucker, <SPAN id=
=3DEC_lw_1176696585_4 style=3D"BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0=
% 0%; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">Warren Zevon</SPAN>, <SPAN id=3DEC=
_lw_1176696585_5 style=3D"BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">Peter Jennings=
</SPAN>, Yul Brenner, Andy Kaufman, <SPAN id=3DEC_lw_1176696585_6 style=3D"=
BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">Nat King Cole</SPAN>=97that merry old so=
ul, etc., etc. If you could go back and ask them if they=92d change anythin=
g, subsequent to their diagnoses, I=92m sure they=92d have a few select wor=
ds for our friend, Mr. Brown! Yeah, there=92s a reason why this issue gets,=
 and has gotten the attention it has=85 that=92s because the sensibilities =
of the majority, out weigh the grasping at straws mentality of the shallow =
minority! Get with the times, folks=97or else, just retreat to your own f=
=92in island, and smoke to your lungs content!! Read up, Tony boy=97there=
=92s a lot of food for thought out there=97the proof of which is in the pud=
ding=97or smoke, if you will. Passionate about this, am I? Uh, just a littl=
e bit. Can we move now... please!?!?! </FONT>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>      =20
<HR SIZE=3D1>
Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?<BR>Check out=20
<DIV></DIV><A href=3D"http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D48245/*http://autos.yaho=
o.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=3DX3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFn=
cwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM-" target=3D_blank>new cars at Yahoo! Autos.</A>=20
<DIV></DIV>
___ Support Neohiopal - learn how here: http://www.fredsternfeld.com/neohio=
pal.htm#support ______________________________________ Neohiopal is SELF-SE=
RVE. If you need to unsubscribe, change from digest to one-at-a-time delive=