[NEohioPAL]RE: smoking

Lee Kamps lee921 at att.net
Mon Apr 16 11:32:28 PDT 2007

It is now a well known fact that exposure to cigarette and tobacco smoke is
deadly whether you are the one smoking or if you are exposed to second hand
smoke. In fact, recent studies have confirmed that second hand smoke is
worse than "first hand smoke" and that prolonged exposure to second hand
smoke is as deadly as if you were the one smoking. That is why the voters of
Ohio passed the "smoke free Ohio" law banning indoor smoking in public
places.

It never comepletely banned the sale of cigarettes nor said that no adult
can decide to smoke. It is still an individual choice whether or not to
smoke cigarettes. However no one else should be involuntarily exposed to
second hand smoke, no matter what. There is nothing wrong with showing
smoking on stage in a play if the script calls for it. However there are
good props and fake cigarettes that could be used to show cigarette smoking.

My gosh, when I was a kid, we used to play with fake cigarettes that used
flour to simulate cigarette smoke. It made us kids look tough and just like
those adults we saw in the movies and on television smoking. If that was
good enough for a bunch of children playing at smoking, why not use it on
stage?

I'll bet that if those famous actors, entertainers and television
personalities that were killed from cigarette smoking (John Wayne, Sammy
Davis Jr., Nat "King" Cole, Edward R. Murrow, Peter Jennings, Humphrey
Bogart) could come back from the grave; they would be telling everyone never
to start smoking cigarettes. I met a doctor a while back whose specialty was
treating addictions. He said that nicotine was by far the most addictive
drug out there. He said it was more addictive than cocaine, heroin and
booze. There should be no reason to glamorize cigarette smoking on stage.

Lee Kamps