[NEohioPAL]Sand Sculpture Contest

Sarah Gyorki sgyorki at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 30 07:26:59 PDT 2007

--0-1618460659-1183213619=:93809

For Immediate Release
  For information, contact:
  Sarah Gyorki, Arts Collinwood
  216-692-9500
  s.gyorki at artscollinwood.org

  Arts Collinwood Hosts 5th Annual Sand Sculpture Contest
  Artists Get Shot at $300 Prize

  Arts Collinwood will be hosting its popular Sand Sculpture contest for the 5th year running, on Sunday, July 15 from 1-4 pm at Wildwood Beach.  The event has grown over the years to become a mainstay of summer fun on North Collinwood's lakefront.  Each year one hundred or more children and families have turned out to build creative castles, forts and more.  One year the innovations extended to a life-size VW Bug.  And this year looks to hold even more creativity.

  For the first time, Arts Collinwood has added an artists category ot the community event, with a $300 cash prize to the best entry.  Although the competition was initially advertised with a $5 registration fee for artists, organizers have said they're happy to waive that fee for the event's first year.  "We're interested in encouraging participation, in exploring the creative potential of found materials and the opportunity for people of all ages to shape their environment," says Sarah Gyorki, Executive Director of Arts Collinwood and the event's organizer.  "The beach is a wonderful place to create and explore, and we want to offer the entire area a chance to celebrate this wonderful feature of our community.  Any money we raise is simply to offset the expenses of making the event possible.  Inclusion is our priority."

  Participants are encouraged to bring their own shovels and pails, and maybe a picnic as well.  Some tools are available at the event, and light snacks and drinks will also be offered.  Artists are welcome to begin their pieces any time the morning of July 15. The event officially begins at 1:00pm, and judging will be at 4:00pm.

  Wildwood Beach is part of Cleveland Lakefront State Park.  Enter off Lake Shore Blvd, across from E. 174th St, and follow sings along the walking path from the parking lot.  For more information, call Arts Collinwood at 216-692-9500, or visit their web site at www.artscollinwood.org.