[NEohioPAL]CPT's DanceWorks 08 Opportunity

Raymond Bobgan RBobgan at cptonline.org
Mon Jul 2 04:58:55 PDT 2007

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7BCA0.4140D78A

Dance Works 08

Request for Proposals

=20

CPT is gearing up for the 2007-08 Season and DanceWorks is an important
part of that season. DanceWorks offers dance companies and
choreographers the opportunity to have their works presented in a series
with other local dance companies.=20

=20

CPT will select seven or more groups to be part of DanceWorks 08. Each
of these groups gets one of our two spaces for one week: Monday through
Wednesday for load in and rehearsal, and Thursday-Sunday for
performances. This year's series will be offered March 13 - April 20,
2008.

=20

CPT continues to work to make this series effective and efficient. We
want to find the best way to serve presented groups while keeping within
the limits of CPT's technical staff and resources. The space is set up
with a repertory lighting plot suitable for dance. Companies may alter
that set up, however, they must then take full responsibility for
implementing their own set up and restoring the space for the following
company.

=20

It is up to each group to provide their own artistic collaborators and
additional technical staff needed. CPT will provide a run crew
technician. This is typically a stage manager, but dance companies may
request a different skilled crew member, and CPT will try to
accommodate. CPT provides box office and house staff.=20

=20

Although CPT produces a direct mail piece advertising all of DanceWorks,
it is up to the individual companies to promote their own show.  CPT
will also send out press releases for listings and do what we can to
assist and coordinate marketing efforts.

=20

The net box office receipts will be split 60% for the dance company and
40% for CPT, however each group will be provided with a box office
guarantee of $1,000 in advance. =20

=20

Dance Works is about new work and all companies must have at least one
major premiere in their evening. =20

=20

If you would like to be considered for the Dance Works 08, please read
the attach FAQ and fill out the attached application form, or you can
request a Word Format application from rbobgan at cptonline.org. =20

=20

Deadline for submissions is July 30, 2006.=20

=20

Dance Works 08: FAQ

=20

Hey, we have performed many times at CPT. We never had to fill out all
this stuff before. What's going on?

There are a number of reasons we decided to release a Request for
Proposal for DanceWorks: better organization, better access, better
planning and better communication. CPT is receiving more and more
inquiries every year and we needed to create a clearer way for artist to
participate. We wanted new companies to have a path for becoming
involved. The RFP will helps us plan for DanceWorks in the areas of
logistics, production, and marketing. For example if all the companies
need projection capability, then we may be able to develop a cost
effective way to make that available. Finally it helps new staff with
limited previous experience of the series to get to know your work.=20

=20

What if I don't have a company, but I can pull off a full evening of
work?

You don't need a company to apply for Dance Works. However, you will
need to demonstrate that you have the producing resources needed to
produce a full concert within the limitations of this series.=20

=20

 Why does CPT choose the types of dance and dance companies it does?

The purpose of DanceWorks is to serve existing and emerging the dance
companies and choreographers in Cleveland. DanceWorks seeks to represent
a diversity of forms, genres, and aesthetic values. We want to create an
environment where companies feel comfortable to experiment boldly and
stretch beyond their past repertory. DanceWorks performances must also
have a level of quality; they should be well thought-out, rehearsed and
prepared. CPT provides a separate series called Big [BOX] which may
include work that is earlier in its development.=20

=20

What else does CPT look for in this selection process?

Two other major factors in selecting works are: capability and impact.

Companies should demonstrate that they have capable and experienced
personnel capable of independently managing production needs, which
includes the dance itself but may also include additional sound,
lighting, and stage needs. CPT is looking for companies that can
organize their needs and resources in an effective way that allows them
to be fully prepared on time.

CPT expends a great deal of resources to make DanceWorks happen and we
want that effort to have the best possible results in the community. We
are looking for projects for which DanceWorks will provide a significant
impact. =20

=20

We want to apply, but we don't know yet what the title or theme will be

That's OK. If you have preformed in DanceWorks before, simply tell us
the kind of work you're planning on doing , where you're heading or what
you're trying to accomplish. If you've never performed at DanceWorks,
give us a more general sense of your company and the kind of work of you
are planning on doing, and  include video samples of past work.=20

=20

Overall, the purpose of this application is help you communicate with
us.

DanceWorks 08  APPLICATION

Deadline: July 30, 2007

=20

Thank you for your interest in Dance Works Please complete the
application and submit it with your supplemental materials and a work
sample (if available) to: Attn: Dance Works, Cleveland Public Theatre,
6415 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland OH  44102

=20

=20

Group______________________________________________________________=20

=20

Contact Name ___________________________________________________________

=20

Address_________________________________________________________________
___

=20

Phone________________ Cell________________ E-Mail________________

=20

Title of
Performance_________________________________________________________

=20

Length of Performance

=20

Requested performance dates in order of
preference:__________________________

=20

Attach up to two sheets and respond to the following questions and
points:

=20

1) Describe the project. (What is the basis for the piece? How do you
currently envision it?)

=20

2) What are your production needs? (stage, lighting, special effects,
etc)

=20

3) How will participation in Dance Works impact your company
artistically and professionally?

=20

4) What is your background and experience that gives you confidence that
you can complete this project? What skills do you have to be able to
produce the work?

=20

5) Brief History of company.

=20

6) Who is/are the choreographer(s)?

=20

5) Who is actually dancing in the piece? (i.e. highly skilled
professional dancers, university students, developing dancers, etc)=20

=20

Supplementary Materials: Include any additional information to support
your application: for example resume, artist biographies, script,
treatment, artistic statement, reviews, audience feedback, letters of
recommendation, etc.

=20

Work Sample: Include work samples such as video, photos, past scripts,
etc. Please annotate the sample clearly so we know how it is relevant to
your proposal and label it clearly with you or your companies name,

=20

Video materials will only be returned to those artists who are not
selected if they include an appropriate sized, stamped, and
self-addressed envelope.=20

=20

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7BCA0.4140D78A

xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"place"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"City"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"PersonName"/>
<!--[if !mso]>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
<![endif]-->
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Franklin Gothic Book";
	panose-1:2 11 5 3 2 1 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi";
	panose-1:2 11 7 3 2 1 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Berlin Sans FB Demi";
	panose-1:2 14 8 2 2 5 2 2 3 6;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light";}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
h1
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	text-align:center;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light";
	text-transform:uppercase;}
p.MsoTitle, li.MsoTitle, div.MsoTitle
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	text-align:center;
	font-size:26.0pt;
	font-family:"Berlin Sans FB Demi";}
p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light";
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
span.EmailStyle22
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
span.EmailStyle23
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
span.EmailStyle24
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Dance =

style=3D'font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Request =
for

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>CPT is =
gearing up
for the 2007-08 Season and DanceWorks is an important part of that =
season.
DanceWorks offers dance companies and choreographers the opportunity to =
have
their works presented in a series with other local dance companies. =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>CPT will =
[...]

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>It is up =
to each
group to provide their own artistic collaborators and additional<font
needed. CPT
will provide a run crew technician. This is typically a stage manager, =
but
dance companies may request a different skilled crew member, and CPT =
will try
to accommodate. CPT provides box office and house staff. =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Although =
CPT
produces a direct mail piece advertising all of DanceWorks, it is up to =
the
individual companies to promote their own show.  CPT will also send =
out
press releases for listings and do what we can to assist and coordinate

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>The net =
box office
receipts will be split 60% for the dance company and 40% for CPT, =
however each
group will be provided with a box office guarantee of $1,000 in =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Dance =
Works is
about new work and all companies must have at least one major premiere =
in their

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>If you =
would like
to be considered for the Dance Works 08, please read the attach FAQ and =
fill
out the attached application form, or you can request a Word Format =
application
from <st1:PersonName =
w:st=3D"on">rbobgan at cptonline.org</st1:PersonName>.  =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Deadline =
for

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:26.0pt;
font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'><br clear=3Dall =
style=3D'page-break-before:
always'>

style=3D'font-size:24.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Dance =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Hey, we =
have
performed many times at CPT. We never had to fill out all this stuff =
before.

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Book"'>There are =
a number
of reasons we decided to release a Request for Proposal for =
DanceWorks<font
organization, better
access, better planning and better communication. CPT is receiving more =
and
more inquiries every year and we needed to create a clearer way for =
artist to
participate. We wanted new companies to have a path for becoming =
involved. The
RFP will helps us plan for DanceWorks in the areas of logistics, =
production,
and marketing. For example if all the companies need projection =
capability,
then we may be able to develop a cost effective way to make that =
available.
Finally it helps new staff with limited previous experience of the =
series to

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>What if I
don’t have a company, but I can pull off a full evening of =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Book"'>You =
don’t
need a company to apply for Dance Works. However, you will need to =
demonstrate
that you have the producing resources needed to produce a full concert =
within

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'> Why =
does CPT
choose the types of dance and dance companies it =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Book"'>The =
purpose of
DanceWorks is to serve existing and emerging the dance companies and
choreographers in <st1:place w:st=3D"on"><st1:City =
w:st=3D"on">Cleveland</st1:City></st1:place>.
DanceWorks seeks to represent a diversity of forms, genres, and =
aesthetic
values. We want to create an environment where companies feel =
comfortable to
experiment boldly and stretch beyond their past repertory. DanceWorks
performances must also have a level of quality; they should be well
thought-out, rehearsed and prepared. CPT provides a separate series =
called Big
[BOX] which may include work that is earlier in its development. =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>What else =
does CPT

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Book"'>Two =
other<font
selecting

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Book"'>Companies =
should
demonstrate that they have capable and experienced personnel capable of
independently managing production needs, which includes the dance itself =
but may<font
additional<font
and stage
needs. CPT is looking for companies that can organize their needs and =
resources
in an effective way that allows them to be fully prepared on =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Book"'>CPT =
expends a great
deal of resources to make DanceWorks happen and we want that effort to =
have the
best possible results in the community. We are looking for projects for =
which
DanceWorks will provide a significant impact.  =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>We want to =
apply,
but we don’t know yet what the title or theme will =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =
Book"'>That’s OK. If
you have preformed in DanceWorks before, simply tell us the kind of work
you’re planning on doing , where you’re heading or what
you’re trying to accomplish. If you’ve never performed at
DanceWorks, give us a more general sense of your company and the kind of =
work
of you are planning on doing, and  include video samples of past =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =

Book"><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic =
Book";font-weight:bold'>Overall,
the purpose of this application is help you communicate with =
size=3D2 face=3D"Franklin Gothic Demi"><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:
"Franklin Gothic =

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light"'><br clear=3Dall =
style=3D'page-break-before:
always'>

<h1 align=3Dleft style=3D'text-align:left'><b><font size=3D3
face=3D"Franklin Gothic Demi"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi";
font-weight:normal'>DanceWorks 08  =

style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Deadline: =
July 30,

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3D"Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Akzidenz Grotesk BE =

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'>Thank you for your interest in =
<b><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Dance Works</span></b> Please complete the =
application
and submit it with your <b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>supplemental
sample</span></b>
<b><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Dance Works, Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 =
Detroit

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'><o:p> </o:p></span></fo=
nt></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Group_______________________=
_______________________________________

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'><o:p> </o:p></span></fo=
nt></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Contact Name
___________________________________________________________<o:p></o:p></s=
pan></font></p>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'>Address____________________________=

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'>Phone________________

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'>Title of =
Performance_________________________________________________________<o:p>=

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Length of Performance
______________________________________________________<o:p></o:p></span><=
/font></p>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'>Requested performance dates in =
order of

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'>Attach up to two sheets and =
respond to the

style=3D'font-size:

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:black'>1) Describe the project. (What is the basis for the piece? =
How do

color=3Dblack
face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'><o:p> </o:p=

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:black'>2) What are your production needs? (stage, lighting, =
special

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:black'>3) How will participation in Dance Works impact your =
company

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:black'>4) What is your background and experience that gives you
confidence that you can complete this project? What skills do you have =
to be

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:black'>6) Who is/are the =

color=3Dblack
face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'><o:p> </o:p=

size=3D2
color=3Dblack face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:black'>5) Who is actually dancing in the piece? (i.e. highly =
skilled
professional dancers, university students, developing dancers, etc) =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black;font-weight:bold'=

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black;font-weight:bold'=
>Supplementary
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'>Include any =
additional
information to support your application: for example resume, artist
biographies, script, treatment, artistic statement, reviews, audience =
feedback,

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black;font-weight:bold'=

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black;font-weight:bold'=
>Work
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black'>Include work =
samples
such as video, photos, past scripts, etc. Please annotate the sample =
clearly so
we know how it is relevant to your proposal and label it clearly with =
you or

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Franklin Gothic Demi"'>Video =
materials
will only be returned to those artists who are not selected if they =
include an
appropriate sized, stamped, and self-addressed envelope. =
size=3D2 color=3Dblack face=3D"Franklin Gothic Book"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;