[NEohioPAL]African dance comes alive in Cleveland with Tri C Metro's 1st Annual West African Dance Conference

najyoung at aol.com najyoung at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 10:37:24 PDT 2007

----------MB_8C98D42488FE645_14CC_9723_MBLK-M15.sysops.aol.com

Have you always wanted to learn traditional African dance but was too scared=
 to try? Well, now's your chance to do something about it!

Come experience the beauty, grace and power of African dance with master cho=
reographers and=C2=A0instructors Mama Kadiatou Conte - Forte of Guinea and B=
abacar N'Diaye of Senegal who=C2=A0will teach=C2=A0dance classes for all lev=
els,=C2=A0July 28 and 29,=C2=A0at Tri-C Metro Campus'=C2=A0First Annual West=
 African Dance Conference.=20

About the Artists:

Mama Kadiatou Conte - Forte of Guinea=C2=A0

 In 1970 she was selected to join Les Ballet Africans, the national dance co=
mpany of Guinea and became one of the premiere dancers in Les Ballet African=
s and Djoliba. From 1970 to 1985 she traveled and performed around the world=
 for heads of state and sold out audiences in Moscow, France, Belgium, Engla=
nd, Brazil, Spain, Japan, Australia, the United States and nearly every coun=
try in Africa.=C2=A0

Kadiatou Conte is currently the artistic director of the Balafon West Africa=
n Dance Ensemble, which is composed of many of her students and colleagues f=
rom her years with the National Ballet of Guinea. Kadiatou, a consummate tea=
cher and motivator, believes that dance makes one stronger physically and me=
ntally, and is a source of healing and balance in one=E2=80=99s life.=C2=A0S=
he has worked with Melvin Deal and the African Heritage Dancers & Drummers,=20=
Kankouran and Assane Konte, Jali Djimo Kouyate and Memory of African Culture=
, Wo=E2=80=99se, the Andrew Cacho Drummers and Dancers and with the legendar=
y women=E2=80=99s group Sweet Honey in the Rock. She has taught at Howard Un=
iversity, the George Washington University, the University of Maryland, the=20=
Duke Ellington School of Performing Arts, and at private and public elementa=
ry schools throughout the region.=20

Babacar N'Diaye of Senegal

A former member of Le Ballet National Du Senegal and the Diamono African Bal=
let, Babacar has toured the world performing with various ensembles and teac=
hing the traditional dances of both Mali and Senegal. Babacar has performed,=
 choreographed=C2=A0and taught for the last fifteen years at the finest arts=
 institutions around the world and currently serves as Artistic Director of=20=
Return to Goree African Dance Company in Baltimore, Maryland. He is much sou=
ght after in the African dance community for his complex choreography and po=
werful dance technique=C2=A0and has performed for numerous dignitaries such=20=
as President George W. Bush, Gen. Colin Powell, Ambassador Andrew Young, Cor=
etta Scott King and many others.=20

For more information please contact Shenee King at (216) 659-9674 or email:=20=
tankaglemaskdancers at yahoo.com=20

AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from=
 AOL at AOL.com.

----------MB_8C98D42488FE645_14CC_9723_MBLK-M15.sysops.aol.com

<FONT size=3D3><EM><br>
Have you always wanted to learn traditional African dance but was too scared=
 to try?</EM> Well, now's your chance to do something about it!<br>
</FONT><br>
<FONT size=3D3><FONT size=3D4>Come experience the beauty, grace and power of=
 African dance with master choreographers and instructors Mama Kadiatou=
 Conte - Forte of Guinea and Babacar N'Diaye of Senegal who will teach&=
nbsp;dance classes for all levels, July 28 and 29, at Tri-C Metro=20=
Campus' First Annual West African Dance Conference. <br>
</FONT><br>
<STRONG><FONT size=3D4>About the Artists:</FONT></STRONG><br>
<STRONG>Mama Kadiatou Conte - Forte of Guinea</STRONG> <br>
 In 1970 she was selected to join <EM><STRONG>Les Ballet Africans</STRONG></=
EM>, the national dance company of Guinea and became one of the premiere dan=
cers in <EM>Les Ballet Africans</EM> and <EM><STRONG>Djoliba.</STRONG></EM>=20=
>From 1970 to 1985 she traveled and performed around the world for heads of s=
tate and sold out audiences in Moscow, France, Belgium, England, Brazil, Spa=
in, Japan, Australia, the United States and nearly every country in Africa.&=
nbsp;<br>

Kadiatou Conte is currently the artistic director of the <STRONG><EM>Balafon=
 West African Dance Ensemble</EM></STRONG>, which is composed of many of her=
 students and colleagues from her years with the National Ballet of Guinea.=20=
Kadiatou, a consummate teacher and motivator, believes that dance makes one=20=
stronger physically and mentally, and is a source of healing and balance in=20=
one=E2=80=99s life. She has worked with <EM><STRONG>Melvin Deal</STRONG=
></EM> and the <EM><A href=3D"http://www.ahdd.org/" target=3D_info><STRONG>A=
frican Heritage Dancers & Drummers</STRONG></A></EM>, <EM><A href=3D"htt=
p://www.kankouran.org/" target=3D_info><STRONG>Kankouran</STRONG></A></EM> a=
nd <EM><STRONG>Assane Konte</STRONG></EM>, <EM><STRONG>Jali Djimo Kouyate</S=
TRONG></EM> and <STRONG><EM><A href=3D"http://www.memoryofafricanculture.org=
/" target=3D_info>Memory of African Culture</A></EM></STRONG>, <EM><STRONG>W=
o=E2=80=99se</STRONG></EM>, the <STRONG><EM>Andrew Cacho Drummers and Dancer=
s </EM></STRONG>and with the legendary women=E2=80=99s group <EM><A href=3D"=
http://www.sweethoney.com/" target=3D_info>Sweet Honey in the Rock</A></EM>.=
 She has taught at Howard University, the George Washington University, the=20=
University of Maryland, the Duke Ellington School of Performing Arts, and at=
 private and public elementary schools throughout the region. <br>
<STRONG>Babacar N'Diaye of Senegal<br>
</STRONG>A former member of <STRONG><EM>Le Ballet National Du Senegal</EM></=
STRONG> and the <STRONG><EM>Diamono African Ballet</EM></STRONG>, Babacar ha=
s toured the world performing with various ensembles and teaching the tradit=
ional dances of both Mali and Senegal. Babacar has performed, choreographed&=
nbsp;and taught for the last fifteen years at the finest arts institutions a=
round the world and currently serves as Artistic Director of <STRONG><EM>Ret=
urn to Goree African Dance Company</EM></STRONG> in Baltimore, Maryland. He=20=
is much sought after in the African dance community for his complex choreogr=
aphy and powerful dance technique and has performed for numerous dignit=
aries such as President George W. Bush, Gen. Colin Powell, Ambassador Andrew=
 Young, Coretta Scott King and many others. <br>
<STRONG>For more information please contact Shenee King at (216) 659-9674 or=
 email: <U><FONT color=3D#800080><A href=3D"mailto:tankaglemaskdancers at yahoo=
.com">tankaglemaskdancers at yahoo.com</A></FONT></U> <br>
</STRONG></FONT></div>
<hr style=3D"margin-top:10px;" />
AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from=
 AOL at <a href=3D"http://www.aol.com?ncid=3DAOLAOF00020000000437" target=

----------MB_8C98D42488FE645_14CC_9723_MBLK-M15.sysops.aol.com--