[NEohioPAL]Review of Malicious Bunny - from far away

AKRfenish at aol.com AKRfenish at aol.com
Fri Jul 27 08:22:54 PDT 2007

-------------------------------1185549774

It's an uncommon thing these days to step into a small blackbox  theater in
Cleveland, Ohio and see something more than a well know musical or a  Neil
Simon play.  Although enjoyable, and ensuring butts in seats for area  theaters,
it's refreshing and indeed a rarity to enjoy a new work which brings
theatrical delight and, in fact, pride in my city.

Two weeks ago, I had the pleasure of catching a run through rehearsal  of
"Malicious Bunny" at Fourth Wall Productions.  Being that I was heading  out of
town right before opening, the wonderful young artists at Fourth Wall  allowed
me to enjoy their production just before tech.  I, myself, am an  actor who
got her start in this area, and am continually working out of town at  regional
theaters around the country.  In my recent travels, I'm always  pleased to see
new works and new theaters being created in places like  Cincinnati
(especially the recent fringe festival), Wisconsin, New York, and  currently the fun
new theater popping up in New England.  (I'm up in  Vermont this month.  :-)  )

But nothing brings me more joy than to see new theaters like Bang and the
Clatter, and most recently Fourth Wall Productions, in my home town.  And  being
an always actor, sometimes playwright, knowing this company in  particular's
mission is to honor brand spanikin new playwrights and unpublished,
completely new works (especially from this area) makes me extremely excited for  my
next return to Cleveland.

Malicious Bunny, Matthew Sprosty's most recent creation, is a clever, fun,
and chilling dark comedy.  The characters are strong, witty, and incredibly
easy to connect with.  I often equate Matthew's writings with Kevin Smith  or
even Arron Sorkin, because the writing is cerebral, and the people he creates
are smart and quick-witted in their fast paced dialogue littered with random
pop  culture references.

This play does more than bring you into the poor world of a young couple
struggling to keep their marriage together, but keeps the audience involved, and
more importantly, active in the story.  There's a  brilliant interchanging of
the sit-back-and-laugh your ass off moments  as the play moves you slyly into
a darkly comedic,  even uncomfortable sorrow, for the characters.

Beyond the show, there is still more to be applauded.  These young  artists,
are mostly homegrown right here in Cleveland.  When asking a few  of them over
drinks after the rehearsal why they aren't going anywhere else for  theater,
they simply stated, "Why go anywhere else?"  After Cleveland being  No. 3 in
loss of population this year (behind only Detroit and New Orleans)  I
personally find it moving to see artists remain in the area to further the  artistic
and cultural life of our hometown.

Bravo, Foruth Wall!

Malicious Bunny is open and running, I urge you to support this company and
this delightful show!

Thanks for your time,

Alicia Rodis

-------------------------------1185549774

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.3132" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV>It's an uncommon thing these days to step into a small blackbox=20
theater in Cleveland, Ohio and see something more than a well know musical o=
r a=20
Neil Simon play.  Although enjoyable, and ensuring butts in seats for a=
rea=20
theaters, it's refreshing and indeed a rarity to enjoy a new work which brin=
gs=20
theatrical delight and, in fact, pride in my city.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Two weeks ago, I had the pleasure of catching a run through rehear=
sal=20
of "Malicious Bunny" at Fourth Wall Productions.  Being that I was head=
ing=20
out of town right before opening, the wonderful young artists at Fourth Wall=
=20
allowed me to enjoy their production just before tech.  I, myself, am a=
n=20
actor who got her start in this area, and am continually working out of town=
 at=20
regional theaters around the country.  In my recent travels, I'm always=
=20
pleased to see new works and new theaters being created in places like=20
Cincinnati (especially the recent fringe festival), Wisconsin, New York, and=
=20
currently the fun new theater popping up in New England.  (I'm up=20=
in=20
Vermont this month.  :-)  )</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>But nothing brings me more joy than to see new theaters like Bang and t=
he=20
Clatter, and most recently Fourth Wall Productions, in my home town.  A=
nd=20
being an always actor, sometimes playwright, knowing this company in=20
particular's mission is to honor brand spanikin new playwrights and unpublis=
hed,=20
completely new works (especially from this area) makes me extremely excited=20=
for=20
my next return to Cleveland.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Malicious Bunny, Matthew Sprosty's most recent creation, is a clever, f=
un,=20
and chilling dark comedy.  The characters are strong, witty, and incred=
ibly=20
easy to connect with.  I often equate Matthew's writings with Kevin Smi=
th=20
or even Arron Sorkin, because the writing is cerebral, and the people he cre=
ates=20
are smart and quick-witted in their fast paced dialogue littered with random=
 pop=20
culture references.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>This play does more than bring you into the poor world of a young coupl=
e=20
struggling to keep their marriage together, but keeps the audience involved,=
 and=20
more importantly, active in the story.  There's a=20
brilliant interchanging of the sit-back-and-laugh your ass off mom=
ents=20
as the play moves you slyly into a darkly comedic,=20
even uncomfortable sorrow, for the characters.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Beyond the show, there is still more to be applauded.  These young=
=20
artists, are mostly homegrown right here in Cleveland.  When asking a f=
ew=20
of them over drinks after the rehearsal why they aren't going anywhere else=20=
for=20
theater, they simply stated, "Why go anywhere else?"  After Cleveland b=
eing=20
No. 3 in loss of population this year (behind only Detroit and New Orle=
ans)=20
I personally find it moving to see artists remain in the area to further the=
=20
artistic and cultural life of our hometown.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Bravo, Foruth Wall!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Malicious Bunny is open and running, I urge you to support this company=
 and=20
this delightful show!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for your time,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><BR>Alicia Rodis</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></DIV></FONT><BR><BR><BR><DIV><FONT style=3D"color: black;=20=
font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><HR style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 10px">Get a sn=
eak peek of the all-new <A title=3D"http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30to=
ur/?ncid=3DAOLAOF00020000000982" href=3D"http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolco=
m30tour/?ncid=3DAOLAOF00020000000982" target=3D"_blank">AOL.com</A>.</FONT><=
/DIV></BODY></HTML>