[NEohioPAL]Miss Saigon in Erie PA

Janice Mastin-Kamps janmk1978 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 08:23:54 PDT 2007

------=_Part_88175_33032276.1187537034912

Two Cleveland area artists are currently starring in Miss Saigon at the Erie
Playhouse: Arielle Kamps as Kim, and Connor O'Brien as Chris. An excerpt
from The Erie times review says this:

"As the two lovers at the heart of the story, Arielle Kamps as Kim and
Connor O'Brien as Christopher Scott cannot be sufficiently praised. A
veteran of previous productions of the show, Kamps knows both how and when
to modulate her character.

One moment she's the diffident young woman eking out a living as a bar girl.
She becomes by turn a tender lover, an indignant mother, and a fierce
protector of her young child. Throughout, she effectively projects with a
voice that engages us equally in whispers or house-filling sound.

Especially moving is "I Still Believe," in which Kamps alternates verses
with Caroline Granahan-Miceli on the opposite side of the stage.
Granahan-Miceli is the American wife of the Marine who has returned to the
U.S., married her, and sleeps fitfully in her bed.

Kim sings simple lyrics -- "you will return, I know you will" -- that
express her faith in the power of love. Thousands of miles away, Ellen,
disturbed by her sleeping husband's nightmares, sadly asks, "Won't you let
me inside what you so want to hide?"

This duo meets again -- explosively -- in Act Two's Bangkok hotel room.

As the young man who unwittingly falls in love with Kim, O'Brien reveals an
astonishing voice that begins deep in his chest and yields immense richness,
clarity, and expressive quality. In "Why God Why?" he's plagued with
questions that arise after his first night with Kim: "I've been with girls
who knew much more, I never felt confused before."

O'Brien's two duets with Kamps reveal the poignant desperation of
cross-cultural love in wartime. They are the symbolic sun and moon about
which they sing. Be warned: The combined voices of these two make it
pull-out-your-hanky time."

For information about the show, please see

http://www.erieplayhouse.org/miss_saigon.html

or call 814-454-2852 ext. 0

------=_Part_88175_33032276.1187537034912

"As the two lovers at the heart of the
story, Arielle Kamps as Kim and Connor O'Brien as Christopher Scott
cannot be sufficiently praised. A veteran of previous productions of
the show, Kamps knows both how and when to modulate her character.<br><br>One
moment she's the diffident young woman eking out a living as a bar
girl. She becomes by turn a tender lover, an indignant mother, and a
fierce protector of her young child. Throughout, she effectively
projects with a voice that engages us equally in whispers or
house-filling sound.<br><br>Especially moving is "I Still Believe," in
which Kamps alternates verses with Caroline Granahan-Miceli on the
opposite side of the stage. Granahan-Miceli is the American wife of the
Marine who has returned to the U.S., married her, and sleeps fitfully
in her bed.<br><br>Kim sings simple lyrics -- "you will return, I know
you will" -- that express her faith in the power of love. Thousands of
miles away, Ellen, disturbed by her sleeping husband's nightmares,
As the young man who unwittingly falls in love with Kim, O'Brien
reveals an astonishing voice that begins deep in his chest and yields
immense richness, clarity, and expressive quality. In "Why God Why?"
he's plagued with questions that arise after his first night with Kim:
"I've been with girls who knew much more, I never felt confused before."<br><br>O'Brien's