[NEohioPAL] Script costs and rights

Thomas Hayes twhayes7 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 08:55:25 PDT 2007

All,
  Not being familiar with the process of royalties, etc., I'm not sure if this is an easy question or a complex question--I'm thinking it is complex though.

  I am looking into the possibility of staging "Murderer, Hope of Women" by Oskar Kokoschka.  The play was first staged in 1909, but Kokoschka himself didn't shuffle off this mortal coil until 1980.  (i.e. copyright, does not apply in the first instance, but does in view of the second). The copies of the play that I have seen are actually translations and not scripts, per se.

  So, 1) is there a cost for royalties to perform a piece like this (and how would anyone recommend finding out to whom the check shoud be made out); 2) is there money owed the translator, as it would be a translated version staged?

  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  Tom