[NEohioPAL] Ohio Youth Ballet announces new artistic director/auditions Oct. 21

Christy McCune christyrmccune at sssnet.com
Sun Oct 7 05:49:29 PDT 2007

OHIO YOUTH BALLET NAMES NEW ARTISTIC DIRECTOR

CANAL FULTON, Ohio - Since the age of 10, Natalya Vyashenko-Connor knew she
would be a professional dancer.

The self-proclaimed dance addict, who was born in 1982 in the Russian
Federation, has been named the new artistic director of the Ohio Youth
Ballet. The pre-professional non-profit youth ballet company is housed at
The Turning Pointe School of Dance, 2387 Locust St. S., Canal Fulton.

Terry Irion, director and owner of The Turning Pointe, said many worthy
qualified individuals were interviewed for the position.

"Finding the right person for this position was a cornerstone for our future
success," Irion said. "Natalya brings a greater level of technical training,
enthusiasm and limitless positive energy. Her love of dance and her absolute
goal of helping each student to achieve her or his personal best is what The
Turning Pointe School of Dance and the OHIO YOUTH BALLET is all about. With
Natalya as part of our team, we know our 2007-2008 Season is going to be our
best season ever! The 'joy of dance' is definitely alive within Natalya!"

As a child, Vyashenko-Connor was selected as one of a privileged handful out
of hundreds to train at a professional ballet academy, which mixes dance
with academics. She follows the Vaganova teaching method and dances Russian
style with an emphasis on character dance, which is a subdivision of
classical dance based on national and folkloric traditions, she explains.

"I am excited to work with such open-minded people as the staff of The
Turning Pointe School of Dance - people who really care about art, classical
education, and who give me a chance to do what I can do the best: teach
ballet and choreograph," Vyashenko-Connor said. "I hope students will take a
sense of accomplishment from my classes and, of course, I want them to find
a passion in dancing and enjoy it."

Vyashenko-Connor has performed professionally and has a degree in
Choreography, Director-Ballet-Master and Teacher of Classical Ballet. She
launched her teaching career in 2003. She resides in Kent, Ohio, with her
husband, Patrick.

Ohio Youth Ballet announces 2007-2008 Auditions

CANAL FULTON, Ohio - Dance students interested in joining the
pre-professional Ohio Youth Ballet classical ballet or dance team divisions,
housed at The Turning Pointe School of Dance, have a chance to audition for
the 2007/2008 season on Sunday, Oct. 21.

Auditions will be at the dance studio, 2387 Locust Street South, Canal
Fulton. Audition time is 2 p.m. and dancers must arrive by 1:30 p.m. OYB
auditions are open to girls and boys ages 9-19. Detailed information plus
registration forms are available at the dance studio. Call 330-854-1417 or
e-mail ohioyouthballet at turningpointeschoolofdance.net. Dancers are
recommended to come dressed in proper attire with fee and registration form
in hand. Fee is $10 exact cash or check made payable to the OYB.

For the first time, the Ohio Youth Ballet offers both ballet and dance team
divisions. For classical ballet students, this is a wonderful opportunity to
train with recently-named Artistic Director Natalya Vyashenko-Connor. Dance
team students will focus on a variety of dance styles with Desmond Beasley,
who has been a popular instructor at The Turning Pointe and also was
recently chosen as artistic director.

Both artistic directors will challenge dancers to reach their personal best.
At the same time, students will have fun learning exciting repertoire, as
well as performing and reaching out to the community. New Company members
will be placed based on current technical skill level into the appropriate
Pre-Professional Training Track at the Turning Pointe.