[NEohioPAL] 5th Annual Dia de los Muertos art exhibit in downtown Kent

Jeff Ingram jingram3 at neo.rr.com
Tue Oct 9 06:53:15 PDT 2007

Greetings,

WHO: Standing Rock Cultural Arts

WHAT: 5th Annual Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) art exhibition
-featuring Vince Packard, Jennifer Hill, Gina Carron, Jessica Fleming,
and more…
-paintings, sculptural installations, large scale puppets

WHEN: October 27, 8pm. Opening Reception
-coincides with the annual downtown Kent Halloween parade
-exhibit runs through November 17, 2007

WHERE: North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent

CONTACT: 330-673-4970

GALLERY HOURS: Thursday-Saturday 1-5pm or by appointment.

www.standingrock.net for updates

Come celebrate our fifth annual Day of the Dead show. This festive
Mexican Holiday honors all those who have passed before us. But let us
not be somber. There will be music, food, drinks, paintings, sculptures
and large scale puppets! Like the celebration of a birthday, this
holiday reconfirms annually the love, goodwill, and generosity that the
beloved can count on, no matter that they are dead.

 From Wikipedia…

Día de los Muertos is a holiday celebrated in many parts of the world,
typically on November 1 (All Saints' Day) and November 2 (All Souls' Day).

The Day of the Dead is also celebrated to a lesser extent in other Latin
American countries; for example, it is a public holiday in Brazil, where
many Brazilians celebrate it by visiting cemeteries and churches. The
holiday is also observed in the Philippines. Observance of the holiday
has spread to Mexican-American communities in the United States, where
in some locations, the traditions are being extended. Similarly-themed
celebrations also appear in some Asian and African culture.

Though the subject matter may be considered morbid from the perspective
of some other cultures, celebrants typically approach the Day of the
Dead joyfully, and though it occurs at the same time as Halloween, All
Saints' Day and All Souls Day, the traditional mood is much brighter
with emphasis on celebrating and honoring the lives of the deceased, and
celebrating the continuation of life; the belief is not that death is
the end, but rather the beginning of a new stage in life.

About the Artists

Jennifer Hill

www.jenniferhillartgallery.com

Jennifer Hill is an accomplished painter who most recently won the first
place award at the 2007 Art in the Park held last month at Kent Parks
and Recreation's Fred Fuller Park. Her paintings are reminiscent of
Frida Khalo paintings with landscapes and figures painted in beautiful
colors done in the tradition of folk art. In addition to painting, her
artwork includes gourd carvings, murals, and birthday cakes.

Throughout the past 20 years, she has exhibited extensively in Mexico,
Chicago, New York, Cleveland, and on the web.

EXHIBIT HISTORY

-Art in The Park, Kent Ohio 2007 First Place Award

-Coffeelia Restaurant, Cozumel, Q.Roo Mexico 2007
-CasaArco, Playa Del Carmen, Q.Roo Mexico 2007

-The Pentagon Gallery, Cleveland Hts. OH 2007-1987
-Jennifer Hill Gallery, Ashtabula OH 2006-2005
-Chicago Art Matrix Gallery, Chicago IL 2006, 2007

-Circulo De Azul, Mexico City MX 2005-1999
-Don Drumm Gallery, Akron OH 2003
-Jesus 20, San Miguel De Allende, MX 2002-2001

-The Boot Gallery/Sophia Photography, Clev.OH 2003
-Green Leaf Gallery, Bannockburn IL 1999
-Sante Fe Gallery, Cozumel MX 1998-1996
-Kennedy Gallery, Cozumel MX

-Butler Institute Art Gallery Gift Shop, YoungstownOH 2004
-ZB Center Gift Shop, Chicago IL 2007

Group Shows:

-Sergio Gomez Gallery, Zhou Brother's Art Center, Chicago
-Self-Portrait Show 2006, Online 2007
-Hermitage Art Fest, Hermitage Ohio 2007
-Mount Union's 43rd ArtFest, Alliance, Ohio 2007
-Art at Cedars, Youngstown, Ohio 2007
-Erie Summer Arts and Music Festival, Erie, PA 2007
-Printmakers Show, Lakeland Community College OH 2007
-Holiday show, Pentagon Gallery, Clev Hts OH 2007-1993
-McDonough Mus. of Art, Holiday Show,Youngstown OH 2007
-Solo Show, Chicago Art Matrix Gallery, Chicago IL 2006
-4 women Painter's, " " " " " " " " " " " " "
-Self- Portrait Show, 33 Collective Gallery, " " " (zb center)
-Hoyt Institute Regional Juried Show, New Castle PA 2005
-Self Portrait Show, Chagrin FAlls Valley Art Center OH 2004
-Nuestro Mundo, Expresion De Vida, Cozumel Museo MX
2004,1998,1997,1999
-Women's Health Center, Hermitage PA 2003
-Weirdo- Group Show, Asterisk Gallery,Clev. OH 2003
-New American Drawing Show, Fred R. Kline Gallery, Santa Fe NM 2003
-Modena Expo Center, Modena Italy 1999
-Trattoria Aldina , Modena Italy 1999
-CB Gallery, CBGBs NYC 1998
(Microsoft used 3 paintings from this show in an advertisement)
-Youngstown YWCA Annual Juried, Youngstown OH 1998, 1995 (award)
-Ecologia, Cozumel Museo MX 1994,1993,1992
-North Side Drawing Group Exhibit, Bank Street Gallery, Brkln NY 1994
-Grafitti, Space Time and Light Gallery, NYC 1993
-Outdoor Museum Show, Williamsburg, Brkln NY 1993
-We Make Things, Gargoyle Gallery, NYC 1993
-Uncensored, Millworks, Akron OH 1991
-Joint Venture, Clev.Center for Contemp. Art, Clev. OH 1991
-People's Art Show, Cleveland State University Gallery OH 1987
-Tri-C , East Campus Gallery, Richmond Hts. OH 1990-1998

Vince Packard Bio

www.cannibol.com

When I was born my dad Raymond was teaching art deep in the Appalachian
eastern Kentucky county of Pike, my mom, Ellen, being a beautiful ballet
dancer refugee from Berlin Germany. Riddle: The year I was born is
exactly the same upside down. The whole year. As in 1001, 1691, it
doesn't happen again until the year 6009.

I grew up pretty much in Akron Ohio playing in my dad's west exchange
street art gallery. That could be really fun with shows by Peter Max and
Mark Mothersbough, and the big blow-up soft sculpture car that all the
kid's came around to jump on. But often the art could be really boring
and I came to trust my child's eye that I never wanted to go the boring,
elitist, academic route.

A couple years in Venice beach California with my brothers Raynard and
Damon and dad, and then hitching around the country wound me up at a
Native American demonstration in Washington called the Longest Walk.
With the Native culture I refined a perspective on the environment and
the tribal challenge to our destructive culture.

Teenage angst and rebellion led me into the punk music/art scene just in
time for the Reagan era. The idea that Americans elected that idiot for
a president pushed me into punk and alternative ideas as far as I could go.

I did a stint in Michigan growing veggies and milking goats at the farm
outside of Lansing. I liked that direction and before long me and Liz
found ourselves in the backwoods of Lincoln County, West Virginia,
building a solar powered cabin and riding horses every day. The outhouse
hippy redneck scene was fulfilling and my art geared more towards
environmental activism and wildlife and my son Corey was born in 1986.
the end of the decade me and Liz split and I headed over the Ohio River
to Athens Ohio.

Dave Nicholi Araca helped me explore the tattooing scene which I had
dabbled in since I was 14. This got me traveling to tattoo conventions
near and far selling my design sheets in Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New
Orleans and everywhere in between. Sadly, Dave died unexpectedly,
leaving me to fake my way into tattoo shops. The 90's saw me work in
shops in Kalamazoo Michigan, Lexington and Richmond Kentucky, Athens
Georgia and Pigeon Forge Tennessee. I spent 3 fun years tattooing in San
Marcos Texas at Touch of a Feather and 3 more in the hoppin'
neighborhood of Little 5 points in Atlanta at Urban Tribe Tattoos.

Tattooing was great but I wanted to take some time off to explore other
mediums. It's been a tricky transition, when I was close to destitution
I had some horrible experiences in some crappy tattoo shops that burned
me bad. This new millennium has me back up to Kent Ohio doing wonderful
fun projects with Jexo at Standing Rock Cultural Arts. My work with the
kid's plays, my art shows, mask workshops and puppets at the North Water
Street Gallery and the friends, family and community have kept life good.

Jessica Fleming

Jessica is a self taught artist who has exhibited several times at the
North Water Street Gallery. Her style is marked by a dream like quality
that is both abstract and evocative. For this exhibition, she will build
several sculptural installations that pay tribute to loved ones who have
passed on.

Gina Carron

Gina Carron lives in Parma and has been painting for twenty years. For
the most part, she paints on found objects. A quiet and reclusive person
by nature, her work is just the opposite, done in bright, vivid colors
on anything from old medicine cabinets to old wooden doors.

Thank you for supporting the Arts,

Standing Rock Cultural Arts
257 N. Water St.
Kent, OH 44240