[NEohioPAL] An Open Letter back to Steve Wojtas

Sobczak, Michael MSobczak at kichler.com
Thu Oct 11 05:27:45 PDT 2007

Sir,
	I am not a critic, with the exception of my own performances, but I feel I must respond anyway.

Have you ever spent 2 hours watching a play that had cohesion?  Where the actors barely knew their lines or were so detached that there was emotional connection?

Have you ever laid down good money to see a movie only to wonder "Who green lighted this piece of crap?"

Have you ever endured uninspired dance for endless hours?

Have you ever sat through a musical performance grimacing at the sour notes and lack of subtlety?

Have you ever watched something and thought, "The writer was more interested in mental masturbation then in entertaining or informing his audience?"

Until all performances are excellent critics play an important part in our culture.  Furthermore, you need not have perfected an art to know that those you are watching haven't either.  Good critics give good reviews to those that deserve it and save me (although I have washed recently) from wasting my time on those that don't.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, blame the critics.

Mike (I've had good and bad reviews and accept it) Sobczak