[NEohioPAL] An Open Letter To Critics, Reviewers, et al. (Steve Wojtas)

Tom Kerr kulturekids at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 09:05:43 PDT 2007

my uncle was Walter Kerr (now deceased), former
theater critic for The New York Times.
   He once said to me "of course actors and writers
and directors and set designers don't like me.  My job
title is 'critic'.  Look up the definitition.  But the
point is...there are MANY critics, not just one.  My
voice is only that of one man."
Tom Kerr
--- Tom Fulton <tomtq2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, to put it in perspective...
> "I don't mind what the opposition say of me so long
> as they don't tell the
> truth about me. But when they descend to telling the
> truth about me I
> consider that this is taking an unfair advantage."
> *- Mark Twain -*
>
> :)
>
> Tom
>
> On 10/11/07, Pantsios, Anastasia
> <apantsios at freetimes.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the absolutely classic
> letter-to-the-editor from a disgruntled
> > fan/injured artist. The only cliche you left out
> is "Were you at the same
> > show I was at?" (I have to wonder if you are a
> prog-rock fan. They are
> > always writing letters complaining that  clearly
> the reviewer doesn't have
> > the technical mastery of an instrument needed to
> review a Dream Theater
> > concert.) In reality, years working at the barre
> or doing breathing
> > exercises often - usually and necessarily -
> narrows an individual's focus so
> > much he or she is in fact unqualified to be a
> critic; (s)he doesn't have the
> > frame of reference it takes. I can't tell you how
> many times I have heard a
> > musician completely miss the power and impact of a
> concert because they were
> > so focused on a repetitive bass line (being a bass
> player) or flaws in the
> > sound mix.
> >
> > In addition, artists almost by necessary need to
> believe that what they
> > are doing is the most valuable expression of
> whatever their chosen craft is;
> > that is generally why they are doing what they do
> (leaving out those who do
> > it to make money). Therefore, they almost
> automatically become an
> > incompetent judge of the expressions of others.
> >
> > Anastasia Pantsios

=== message truncated ===>