[NEohioPAL] Berea Grindstone Players present I DO I DO

Sue Overton berea_grindstone at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 08:02:56 PDT 2007

BEREA GRINDSTONE PLAYERS presents its first show of the season

  "I DO I DO"

  October 19, 20, 26, 27    8:00 PM
  October 21                     3:00 PM

  St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 23114 West Road, Olmsted Falls OH (between Prospect Rd. and Lindberg Blvd.). Tickets $12. Reserve tickets by phone: 440-954-4195, buy direct at Naturally Gifts, 2 Berea Commons, Berea OH (across from Triangle), or at the door.

  Director - Heidi J.W. Boone has a degree in Theatre from CSU and has worked in area theatres for 35 years, starting at the age of 5 painting sets for Bill Allman's Berea Summer Theatre for an ice cream cone or a fudgcicle. Music director Bob Day is a familiar face at many theatre groups such as Berea Summer Theatre, Cain Park, Cassidy, etc. Bob is current Music Director for Northcoast mens chorus where he mentioned the musical to Brad Andersen, a member of the Northcoast mens chorus. Rounding out the cast is Carol Broquet, who has appeared in numerous community theatre productions from Berea Summer Theatre to most recently St. Marys of the Falls Players.

  For those of you who absolutely have no clue, "I Do I Do" is a musical comedy written in the 1960's by Harvey Schmidt (music) and Tom Jones (book and lyrics). The team of Schmidt and Jones are best known for writing "The Fantasticks."  "I Do I Do" is based on the Dutch comedy "The Fourposter" by  Jan de Hartog, which won the 1952 Tony for best play. "The Fourposter" starred Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy as Michael and Agnes; the musical "I Do I Do" was performed by such greats as Mary Martin, Robert Preston, Carol Burnett, Rock Hudson, Lee Remick, and Hal Linden to name a few.

  The musical follows Michael and Agnes from their wedding day in l895 through 50 years of married life, ending in 1945. Michael is a writer and Agnes is a housewife, and the audience is brought along on t he couples journey through the laughter and tears of married life.  In the Grindstone production, the director's vision emphasizes the humor of the play, taking after the Carol Burnett and Rock  Hudson version.

  Welcome back, Grindstone. What an exciting  year you have planned.
  More later.
  Sue Overton
  Berea Grindstone Players

http://mail.yahoo.com