[NEohioPAL] Performing Arts Books available at Cleveland Public Library

Donald Boozer donald.boozer at cpl.org
Thu Dec 13 11:51:18 PST 2007

The following books pertaining to the performing arts are just a sampling of the variety available from the Literature Department at Cleveland Public Library. We encourage you to stop by and browse our collection. The Literature Department is located on the second floor of the Main Library, downtown Cleveland, at East Sixth Street and Superior Avenue. Click on the link provided to access the library’s catalog to reserve any of these titles. For more information, visit our location, call 216-623-2881, or email us at “literature <at> cpl.org.”

The New Comedy Writing: Step by Step
Gene Perret
Quill Driver Books, 2007
(PN6149.A88 P47 2007)
http://www.cpl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?isbn=1884956661
(Link includes cover art)
Three-time Emmy-award winner Gene Perrets Comedy Writing Step by Step has been the manual for humor writers for 24 years. With this, his first update, Perret offers readers a treasure trove of guidelines and suggestions covering a broad range of comedy writing situations, along with many all-important insights into the selling of ones work.

>From Broadway to Cleveland: A History of the Hanna Theatre
John Vacha
The Kent State University Press, 2007
(PN2277.C572 H368 2007)
http://www.cpl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?isbn=9780873389051
(Link includes table of contents)
"Built by Daniel R. Hanna as a tribute to his theater-loving father, Marcus Hanna, the Hanna Theatre opened its doors on March 28, 1921, with an adaptation of Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper starring William Faversham. Billed as a "Broadway-style theater," the Hanna was located not on Euclid Avenue but around the corner on the side street of East 14th. Its interior decor was opulent, finished in what was described as combination of Italian Renaissance and Pompeian style. For three generations of Clevelanders, "I saw it at the Hanna" was a bragging point that could only be trumped by "We saw it in New York.""-- from book jacket

Eliot
William Roetzheim
Level 4 Press, Inc., 2007
(PS3568.O3688 E45 2007)
http://www.cpl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?isbn=9781933769226
(Link includes cover art)
"This is a work of fiction, based loosely on the life of T.S. Eliot. The primary purpose of this play is to communicate the underlying sense of and to develop an appreciation for T.S. Eliot's poetry and plays."..."[The poet T.S.] Eliot is not merely a distant memory of 'required reading,' but someone of astounding dimension and complexity. Through the vision of Roetzheim, we are both privileged and embarrassed to peer into the very soul of Eliot. As Eliot, the man, struggles to find his way through the paradox of opposites, we are increasingly drawn into a drama which ultimately leads us to a recognition of ourselves. And in that process, Eliot cannot help but to become our friend." -- from the inside cover and book jacket

The Dialect Handbook: Learning, Researching, and Performing a Dialect Role
Ginny Kopf
Voiceprint Publishing, 2003
(PN2071.F6 K66 2003x)
http://www.cpl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?isbn=0965596060
(Link includes table of contents)
This book provides a step-by-step process for creating a believable dialect role for dialects all over the world as well as regional American accents. The publication also includes The Dialect Directory which lists hundreds of films, TV series, documentaries, instructional tapes, and more, where actors and students can hear native speakers.

Remember, books highlighted here can be borrowed through any CLEVNET library with the touch of a button. Whether you're from Cleveland, Sandusky, Twinsburg, or Wadsworth, just place a hold through the link provided and choose your library as the pickup location.
--
Donald Boozer
Subject Department Librarian
dboozer at cpl.org