[NEohioPAL] Re: brief unsolicited Sweeney Todd comment

Nina McCollum rockandroller1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 25 16:56:26 PST 2007

I just got back from the movie and wanted to add my 2
cents since the horse is not yet dead.  Again the
disclaimer that this is JUST MY OPINION.  Having also
really enjoyed the PBS version as well as the versions
at places like the Beck, Weathervane and Canton
Player's Guild (wow, I'm getting old, I think this was
at least 15 years ago), this didn't even come close.

I also didn't think it was gory, and the handful of
people in my theater actually clapped when certain
people got the blade, and several people were
laughing.  As one person said, nothing worse than what
you'd see on ER.  And as to the person who mentioned
the "repeated" slayings during the Johanna refrain,
doesn't the same thing happen during the stage show?
There was more blood than what you'd see in the stage
show because they're able to do that, but it didn't
even look real.

I also unfortunately agree with the person who
mentioned the dreadful singing, and that HBC's Mrs.
Lovett was dreadful and gloomy instead of chipper and
ironic and funny which makes her wickedness so
delicious.  I also hated that they cut so many numbers
that shape the feel of the show. I understand wanting
to make it more "cinematic" and so cutting the chorus
numbers might make sense, but what's wrong with "God,
That's Good" or a number of others.  I think Depp
tried hard but was really miscast. Gloomy, yes, but
menacing, no.  I forgive "ok" singing if you really
sell it and belt it out, but nobody did.  And I
couldn't hear about 50% of the dialog and our theater
was completely silent.  Visually it looked the same as
nearly every other Tim Burton film and honestly, it's
boring.  The costumes were great, but the art
direction was cartoonish it was so ridiculously
"dark," and nobody sold their singing performances
except the kid playing Toby.

I don't mind a "Cliff's notes" version for the cinema
if everyone in it is really good, but I'm just glad I
went to a matinee, it really isn't worth renting if
you're used to good musicals; those of us living here
are lucky enough to be spoiled in that respect.

Nina Angeloff McCollum