[NEohioPAL] Progressive Akron Church seeks Singers and Instrumentalists! Paid Positions! Not your typical choi

JT Buck jtbuck at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 20:00:56 PST 2008

First Grace United Church of Christ, an Open and Affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ, seeks a very special crew of singers and instrumentalists.

Our denomination's slogan is 'God is Still Speaking'. We take that also to mean that God is still singing, jamming, and rocking.

We offer worship and music in a unique way, and require 'just the right' leadership to make it happen.

Are You -
- called to serve the spiritual and creative needs of others?
- An advanced high school or college music student?
- a professional musician with a spiritual side?
- willing to sing/play a diversity of styles?
(We believe God likes everything from Bach to Bob Dylan, from Gregorian Chant to 5 Blind Boys from Alabama and more)
- Have a mature, disciplined work ethic both in and out of the rehearsal room?
- An open and inclusive worldview?
- a proactive problem solver?
- Have the capacity to improvise, think on your feet and 'go with the flow'?

If so, drop me a line and let's talk. We have openings right away and down the line.

To put it honestly and bluntly: Our church loves and is open to just about everyone. But! Those who have a habit of whining, complaining, are musically rigid, gossipy, needy of attention, or who require years of prep time and hand holding, or who could otherwise be considered 'high-maintenance' tend to not be very successful here. Of course Jesus loves those folks, but he wouldn't hire them for professional arts ministry at First Grace. This gig isn't for every musician. But it may be for you!

We have paid openings for, or can make room for keyboard, brass, winds, percussion, Sopranos, Altos, Tenors and Basses, world instruments...surprise us! We also occasionally employ actors, dancers, visual artists, poets or any one else who can creatively lead our worship and arts life.

Looking forward to your response!

JT Buck
Arts Director
First Grace United Church of Christ