[NEohioPAL] "Anne Frank": An Invitation from George Roth

George Roth georoth at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 9 01:22:50 PST 2008

  The Diary of Anne Frank
  Best Stage Drama, 2006
  - Cleveland Scene

  Whether you've never seen the play, or seen it many times, see
this outstanding production as well...
  - Fran Heller, Cleveland Jewish News

  It is not to be missed!  If you only see one play this
year...this should be it.
  – Roy Berko, Times Newspapers

___

  Dear friends and colleagues:

  If you didn't see it the first time around -

  If you did, but want to once again celebrate the resilience of
the human spirit -

  later this month The Beck Center will be remounting The Diary
of Anne Frank.

  The production, honored with Cleveland Scene magazine's
designation as Best Stage Drama of 2006, is being remounted with
the same design team and the original cast largely intact.  The
revival will play ten student matinees to nearly 5,000 children
from all over Northeast Ohio, and the Beck Center has honored the
show with a limited public run of four performances.   The dates
for the public performances are:

  Saturday, January 26, 8pm

  Friday, February 1, 8pm

  Sunday, February 3, 3pm

  Saturday, February 9, 8pm

  Keeping tabs on our performance schedule is a bit of a
challenge, given that our four public performance dates are
spread out over a three-week period, but I hope you'll be able to
find one that fits your schedule.

  Having the opportunity to revisit the journey of Otto Frank and
his family is a very special privilege for me.  It gives me
another chance to honor my mother and her family, German Jews who
fled to France in 1936, were interred in the Gurs concentration
camp in 1940, lived in hiding for two years, and then escaped to
Switzerland in 1942.

  I hope to see you at the Beck Center.

  Thank you.

  George Roth

  For Tickets:

  Call 216-521-2540

  or go to www.beckcenter.org

  The Beck Center for the Arts is located at:

  17801 Detroit Avenue

  Lakewood, OH 44107

-------------

  Cleveland Scene - Best Stage Drama, 2006

    During World War II, while Nazis sent Jews from all over
Europe to extermination camps, the Frank family spent two years
hiding in four small rooms in Amsterdam. The Beck Center's
production of The Diary of Anne Frank, under the sensitive
direction of Sarah May, beautifully conveyed the searing reality
of the family's growing dread mixed with daily bickering and
affection, as well as the tragic outcome. Working from a new
treatment of the original work, May clarified the importance of
the Franks' Jewish faith and the flawed goodness of Anne herself.

  Cleveland Jewish News - A Stellar Beck Production

  By Fran Heller

  Sarah May's graphic and viscerally stunning production moved me
in ways both achingly familiar and startlingly new, a tribute to
her vivid staging, an ace creative design team, and a stellar
cast who bring the newer version to such robust life

  Beck is to be commended for mounting this production. The West
Side theater, situated in a neighborhood that is mostly
non-Jewish, brings history and an important work of art to the
larger world