[NEohioPAL] Female Model Needed Immediately for Life Drawing Class at Beck Center

Marie Bohusch mabenator at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 17:58:32 PST 2008

Unfortunately, many university/college student artists models don't
realize the art dept is paying them is bird feed.  The impossibly low
pay goes for just about ANY university "student" position.  Last time
I stopped by the financial aid office at Kent State in 2005, I saw a
KSU job posting looking for students-only with "intermediate
experience in UNIX based MySQL/PHP programming" - $6.50/hr.  I nearly
died laughing!  When I checked with KSU's art dept in 2003, they were
paying artists models $10/hr.  Bird feed!  While a computer programmer
will usually "know better", artists models who START in Uni/College
art dept's often have no idea that they were being dramatically
underpaid, and happily leap at any other work that pays the same or
just a little better.

Any sort of work that is so physically demanding that a person
couldn't do it for 40hrs/wk (I certainly could never pose that many
hours in any one week!), they need to rethink how much their actual
WORKING hours (plus any needed recovery time) are REALLY worth.  The
more statuesque a model is -- no flinching, drooping, change of face,
nothing -- the more they are likely to "feel it" the next day.  That's
recovery time, and yes - the pantry, landlord and electric company
would very much appreciate it if a model calculates the value of the
time they can't work as a direct result of work ALREADY DONE.

Just something to think about.

~marie